Mast head amp interferes with Austar reception.

Neighbour has Austar from a dish and free-to-air digital from a fairly new antenna, via a mast-head amp. Both signals go to the VCR and thence to the digital T.V. The free-to-air picture is excellent and the Austar picture is snowy. Very snowy. If the free-to-air antenna s unplugged from the VCR, or if the power plug-pack for the mast-head amp is unplugged from the wall, the Austar picture becomes excellent. The free-to-air picture, of course, is then non-existent. Could the mast-head amp or its plug-pack be causing some interference to the Austar signal but not to the free-to-air signal? I don't know why the antennae are connected to the VCR. That is how Austar set it up.

Reply to
L.A.T.

The power for the masthead amp goes up the coax. Somewhere there will be a blocking connection, if the VCR is connected on the wrong side of this connection then it will have the masthead amp power across it's input. that could be the cause, I inherited such a situation in a house I once bought.

Reply to
keithr

sounds like you need to set the austar satellite decoder output on a different UHF channel. contact austar and they'll send a tech (or possibly give you the code to access the satellite decoder settings.)

Else if the VCR supports software source selection use RCA cables to connect the set-top box to the VCR

Jasen Betts

Thank you for your responses. The snow all but vanished this morning, and then returned an hour later. Austar will look into it.

Reply to
L.A.T.