Making your own laptop Whitebooks

Anyone here made a whitebook and howcome laptops haven't
gone the way of the desktop PC and people get to make a machine
with their own specs?

Anyone know who is selling laptop shells to make whitebooks?

Re: Making your own laptop Whitebooks

Its a lot harder with everything integrated on the motherboard.

Re: Making your own laptop Whitebooks

Bullshit. Everything can be scaled down to size and standardised if the
demand was there.

Re: Making your own laptop Whitebooks

Never thought bout that. Is it true some companies already started doin that
on small scale as above?! Would b great if I can assemble a Notebook for the
half of the price of a new brandname one.

Re: Making your own laptop Whitebooks

Yeah, apparantly it is happening and I think it's a great idea.

Re: Making your own laptop Whitebooks

Well as I mentioned try  ASUS or FIS  sorry don't have the URL's here
but they're bloody easy to find

Re: Making your own laptop Whitebooks

Don't know if the savings would be that high.
I see TodayTech distribute some barebones notebooks.
Look under Clevo and Macron
http://www.todaytech.com.au/ProductType_List.asp?PTID11 %
I think they are targetted at smaller retailers who want to offer their own
"Branded" notebook.
Something like Pioneer Computers perhaps and their online configurator.
(Remarkable resemblance to the Dell sites layout)
http://www.pioneercomputers.com.au/products/products.asp?c1=3&c212%

Re: Making your own laptop Whitebooks

The size is irrelevant, the problem is that everything is integrated on
the motherboard with a laptop, so you clearly get no flexibility with
what is integrated into that motherboard, its either included or its not.

No wonder you only ever get to crash cars.

Re: Making your own laptop Whitebooks

That is the whole point, changing that so people can customise. It's already
happening.

Re: Making your own laptop Whitebooks

Cant be done with everything integrated on the motherboard, stupid.

Nope, what is happening is actually quite different. Nothing like desktop PCs.

Re: Making your own laptop Whitebooks

  Proof . come on now Philthys bum boi post some proof
  incidently hitting a std reply without content will be accepted as
proof you have nfi .

Re: Making your own laptop Whitebooks

Rod Speed committed to the eternal aether...:

And you only get to chainsaw yourself. I'd rather crash a car.

Re: Making your own laptop Whitebooks

Size constraints. You generally can't fit slots and plugs in there. The
laptops are designed to exactly fit the components chosen with little
room for error. Some laptops allow you to swap out video cards, but only
a few.

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

Re: Making your own laptop Whitebooks

See http://www.crn.com.au/story.aspx?CIID23%726

You ask a very good question. There's supposed to be a relatively large
whitebook laptop market, say 10% of the market.

There was a shop in Brisbane that made them & advertised regularly. I've
never seen any wholesaler offer shells but they must be available.

gtoomey

Re: Making your own laptop Whitebooks

Hi Gregory

Asus are supposed to be doing them according to a Cnet article
I read a while back.... And FIS.

Site Timeline