making a spectrum analyser - how to?

i want to make a spectrum analyser about 7 band, maybe 10 led's ber
band/bar.

what would be a simple way of doing it jaycar have a 4 band kit, could
mod that, but is their and easy way?

its for an effect, doesnt have to be highly acurate,

Re: making a spectrum analyser - how to?

ETI (I think) did a multi channel LED spectrum analyser back in the
70's, one board per channel with about 10 LEDs. The article should
still be relevant. Can probably dig up details if you want.
Basicially it's a band pass filter with a peak detector per channel.

Dave :)

Re: making a spectrum analyser - how to?

Cheaper to use an old computer with soundcard and SA (FFT) software these
days.

MrT.

Re: making a spectrum analyser - how to?

Look at Circuit Cellar web site (www.circuitcellar.com). I am pretty sure
I've seen article about one recently. They have list of all articles in all
editions. Some are available online.

Rudolf