Mains voltage tollerance in Victoria.

Howdy everyone,

I'm suffering from high mains voltage. I live up in the Dandenong Ranges,
Victoria. Anyone else had trouble and been down the path I'm about to go
down fighting their distributor?

A call to my distributors call centre on the weekend was a complete waste of
time, I'm guessing the call centre worker does not have " voltage too high"
in their "i know no more then the customer book", sorry, assistance guide.

Page 13 of this pdf
http://www.sp-ausnet.com.au/CA256FE40021EF93/Lookup/Codes /$file/code%5felec.pdf
states a 240v supply cannot be higher then 6% indefinitely, and peak at +10%
for less then 1 minute.

I'm at 248-252 during the day normally (which of course is JUST within the
limits) but it does now and then end up at about 254.

At night in the wee hours of the morning I'm getting 278 volts for a lot
more then the allowed 1 minute.

I'm logging with an APC usp, a fluke meter and a brymen meter, the fluke is
within 2 months of calibration, and all three agree within 1 volt.

Regards,
Mark

Re: Mains voltage tollerance in Victoria.

**  How is that a big problem for you  ?

Worse happens in Perth and all over WA every night.

........   Phil

Re: Mains voltage tolerance in Victoria.

The average al chepo computer SMPS is now designed around 230vac. The brifge
rectifier smoothing caps are typically  two 200v 85 deg caps.

280vac supply will result in almost 200 volts on a 200v 85deg cap. They
don't last that long.  I shouldn't have to protect every computer with a UPS
because the Electricity distribution company can't get it right. Standards
are put in place for a reason.

MH

Re: Mains voltage tolerance in Victoria.

They will also be able to sell you more power if the mains voltage is too
high.  (Not in things like water heaters which have thermostats, but in
things like fridge motors, power transformers, linear power supplies etc.
that run less efficiently when the voltage is sufficiently high).  It is in
someone's monetary interest to adjust the mains voltage as high as they are
allowed to, though I'm not sure if the company that sets the voltage is the
same company that makes the profit.

Chris

Re: Mains voltage tolerance in Victoria.

"Chris Jones"

** What conspiracy theory  BOLLOCKS  !

** MORE  conspiracy theory  BOLLOCKS  !

** You are not too sure about anything.

Large variations in user demand through the day are what cause the AC supply
voltage to rise and fall.

Suppliers get more complaints when the AC voltage is  LOW at peak times than
when it is high late at night and in the wee hours.

........  Phil

Re: Mains voltage tollerance in Victoria.

So what's the tolerance allowed in Western Australia?

Re: Mains voltage tollerance in Victoria.

I'm suffering from high mains voltage.

***** And Onanism!!!!!!!!!

Brian Goldsmith.

Re: Mains voltage tollerance in Victoria.

of
high"
http://www.sp-ausnet.com.au/CA256FE40021EF93/Lookup/Codes /$file/code%5felec.pdf
+10%
is

I ran my computer under similar conditions for about 5 years in rural NSW.
That was 3 years ago and the PSU caps still haven't failed. (Can't say the
same about the fan, I've been manually spinning it with a match stick to get
it started
lately.)

... johnny

Re: Mains voltage tollerance in Victoria.

Try spraying some lubricant on the bearing, you may have to pull a small
circlip off to get at it. They're usually bronze bearings.

Friday

Re: Mains voltage tollerance in Victoria.

Ranges,
waste
guide.
http://www.sp-ausnet.com.au/CA256FE40021EF93/Lookup/Codes /$file/code%5felec.pdf
the
NSW.
the
get

Thanks for the suggestion, Friday. To be frank, I'm just lazy. About 4 years
ago, I had a similar problem and ended up using a mixture of oil and
vaseline, which worked  well to lubricate and buffer the jumping around of
the shaft from wear. At about $20-$30 for a replacement and 5 min to fit it,
you'll have a good idea of just how slack and cheap I can be. (Despite this,
my "fix" did last 4 years)
... Johnny

Site Timeline