Mains relay box with dry contact input

I'm looking for small quantities (usually less than ten a year) of a
pre-built and type-approved box of tricks that will take a dry contact
input and switch on or off a standard 240v mains output socket.

Does anyone know of anything that might suit?

Thanks, Peter

Re: Mains relay box with dry contact input

how many amps @ 240v ?
what is it driving ?
What rate of speed does it have to turn on/off at ?

What sort of input contact did you have in mind, can it sit at 240v
potential or must it be isolated from the mains ?

Re: Mains relay box with dry contact input

2A would be plenty.

Usually one 240VAC bell, sometimes two, 80VA or so each.  Sometimes, it
may be used to switch other devices, like a 240VAC light.

Usually 2 or 3 seconds on, up to 32 times a day, at least one minute
between on periods.  Sometimes, as short as 0.25 seconds on, sometimes
as long as 8 seconds on.

A low voltage relay contact will be used to drive it, and the switching
input *must* be isolated from the mains.

Does this help?  If you know of something that won't quite meet the
specs, please suggest it anyway.

Thanks, Peter

Re: Mains relay box with dry contact input

"Pete"

**  Err -  " dry contact  =  what  ?

    Zero current ??

    What ever for ?

........  Phil

Re: Mains relay box with dry contact input

Thanks, Phil.  I do realise that the term "dry contact" is not
technically correct, but it's often used for the type of device I'm
looking for, as well as in many other industries.  I am aware that the
"official" meaning of the term is that no voltage is applied to the
switch while it is actually switching.

So, let's just assume that what I meant was that I need to switch this
device on and off with a normally open relay contact.  I am not able to
provide voltage to the switching device.

Peter

Re: Mains relay box with dry contact input

    Doesn't sound like you'd want to build a kit, but DSE was selling
something like this. There might still be a few around in stores.
    Have a look at http://members.ozemail.com.au/~bobpar/sums.htm

Bob

Re: Mains relay box with dry contact input

"Bob Parker"

** But ought not be on sale  -   as they extraordinarily  DANGEROUS things
to have in the home.

The cheap radio link is no way accident safe, interference proof or other
user proof.

This may well count it out for the OP's app as well.

.......   Phil

Re: Mains relay box with dry contact input

    I've never used one, and I don't think I ever will ... for the
reasons you just gave.
    But I presume that they have a "C-Tick" on them to give the
impression that they're wonderful?

Bob

Re: Mains relay box with dry contact input

"Bob Parker"

** Like with  the Arlec (and Jaycar ) 120 volt auto-transformers  -   the
safety issues cannot be discovered by simply looking at the product itself.
Which is all an inspections lab is required to do.

Our law makers have to BAN certain items as being inherently unsafe to have
on sale to the public.

They could start with the current crop of  CFLs.

.......  Phil

Site Timeline