Magazine subscription

Today I realised that I haven't had a Silicon Chip for a while. It seems
that my subscription ran out in April 2010 and nobody told me. I guess that
if I didn't notice it had stopped coming, I won't miss it if I don't
re-subscribe. I have subscribed to at least one of the magazines since the
1950s, and before then I would buy Radio and Hobbies from the newsagent.
I won't miss Silicon Chip, but I do miss being as interested and aware as I
used to be.

Re: Magazine subscription

my subscription ran out in April 2010 and nobody
it if I don't re-subscribe. I have subscribed to at
and Hobbies from the newsagent.
used to be.

It took 8 months to realise SC wasn't in the letterbox ?
Maybe you need another interest - how about building a Stirling engine model?
https://sites.google.com/site/stirlingbuilder/paint-can-stirling-engine

Electronics is not what it used to be as a hobby, though. In the past the
electronics mags published projects that were usually either not available
elsewhere
or were much cheaper to build yourself. These days there are so many
electronic gadgets available so cheaply that I fear the electronic hobbyist is a
dying
breed. My first project was a Playmaster 136 amp, all of 13W per channel, bought
in kit form from DSE when there was only one branch - at Gore Hill.
There are still some interesting (but expensive) project kits around, compare the
following project to the old Playmaster 136:
http://www.elektor.com/products/kits-modules/kits/090563-71-modulo-d.1255175.lynkx

The really staggering advances have been in microprocessors - my first uP
project was the
'baby 2650' from EA, it had 1kB of ROM containing the monitor program, a massive
256 bytes of RAM and it ran at the breakneck speed of 1MHz.

Re: Magazine subscription

http://www.elektor.com/products/kits-modules/kits/090563-71-modulo-d.1255175.lynkx
The current situation is actually a bonanza for anyone with imagination,
who's prepared to dream up their own projects and do a bit of home design.
Any level of prototyping kit is available, all the way from discretes up to
advanced micro platforms, generally at hobby type prices. Current datasheets
available day and night with a couple of mouse clicks. And there are
circuits on the web for everything. I haven't bought an electronics mag
since EA died, and haven't skipped a beat.

Re: Magazine subscription

that my subscription ran out in April 2010 and nobody
it if I don't re-subscribe. I have subscribed to at
Radio and Hobbies from the newsagent.
used to be.
elsewhere
is a dying
bought
the
http://www.elektor.com/products/kits-modules/kits/090563-71-modulo-d.1255175.lynkx
project was the
massive
prepared to dream up their own projects and do a

True, but dreaming up a new project is becoming harder as the number of
off the shelf electronic gadgets increases daily.  The last project I did was
a sun tracker using red LEDs as sensors - it was more mechanical than
electronic.

advanced micro platforms, generally at hobby type
clicks. And there are circuits on the web for
skipped a beat.

The online PDF datasheets certainly are great, although I've still got a
1976 National Linear databook which still covers a surprising number of chips
today.
You haven't bought Silicon Chip ? If nobody buys the mag, a source of some of
the stuff on the 'net will dry up. I noticed one of my SC Circuit Notebook
contributions
appeared on many different websites.

Re: Magazine subscription

It's not, in fact it's had a massive resurgence through the hacker/
modder/maker/hackerspace movements.
Even if it's not so much traditional "hardcore" hobby electronics, you
still have all these young kids buying multimeters and soldering irons
and doing some electronics. Even if it is just using an Arduino board
to flash their LED's etc.
Open source hardware is getting big too, and startup kit businesses
like Sparkfun, DIY Drones and Adafruit et.al can be turning over $10M+
selling kits.

Dave.

Re: Magazine subscription

They are just not very good at keeping web pages current.

Young kids? The only ones I know of are oldish and into art/fart projects.

What oldies build

Que? The oldie projects I'm aware of amongst  my colleagues don't fit the
artie fartie model at all. Mean guitar amps, adjuncts for the new sports car
(midlife crisis model) plus lots of hugely educational and clever stuff,
lots of it based on fairly serious electronics, that I'm not going to
mention because it could be worth something.

Can't recall one potters wheel varispeed, kiln furnace control, easel angle
controller or conductors baton light. Or anything faintly related.

Re: What oldies build
 > plus lots ........... that I'm not going to

Hardly hackerspace, especially the commercial development.
Beautiful post supporting fritz and my points.

Re: Magazine subscription

I have literally thousands of young kids who watch my EEVblog every
week.
The video, photos, and stories of the MakerFair that gets 100,000+
people seem to be mostly kids.
Not too dissimilar stories for Hackerspaces either.
The soldering tutorial classes at these kinds of places seem to be
packed out with young kid every time.
And the number of youngsters on Youtube channels and hacker blogs I
see never seems to end.

The way see it, there is an electronics oriented revival happening,
and it ain't based around old farts.

Dave.

Re: Magazine subscription

-I have literally thousands of young kids who watch my EEVblog every
-week.
-The video, photos, and stories of the MakerFair that gets 100,000+
-people seem to be mostly kids.
-Not too dissimilar stories for Hackerspaces either.
-The soldering tutorial classes at these kinds of places seem to be
-packed out with young kid every time.
-And the number of youngsters on Youtube channels and hacker blogs I
-see never seems to end.

-The way see it, there is an electronics oriented revival happening,
-and it ain't based around old farts.

-Dave.

Please teach the yanks how to pronounce 'solder'.
They all seem to have been dropped at birth or some other
disaster has affected their speech ability -
-  they all seem to say 'soder' . as if the 'l'
wasn't there at all .

Re: Magazine subscription

That is a running joke on my radio show The AmpHour that I co-host
with a Yank.

Dave.

Re: Magazine subscription

Watching =/= doing. Do you have any idea of how many are doing or even
trying?

Which hackerspaces?
Certainly not the ones I know about.

Re: Magazine subscription

Almost every one of them that contact me or chat on my forum. Many
hundreds at a minimum, so it would be very representative of viewers
overall I would think.
Many are software people who want to get into hardware.
So I feel very safe in saying that the vast majority of everyone (and
not just kids) that watch my show are into hardware in some way.
Sorry if that contradicts any pessimistic views!

The whole concept of hacker spaces is somewhere you go to primarily
share hardware resources, tools, and talent. If you just want to hack
software, there are countless online forums with 10's of thousands of
members.
I'd be very surprised if there are many hackerspace members who don't
at least have an interest in building something.

Dave.

Re: Magazine subscription

Sigh, you'll learn.

Re: Magazine subscription
that my subscription ran out in April 2010 and nobody
it if I don't re-subscribe. I have subscribed to at
Radio and Hobbies from the newsagent.
used to be.
model?https://sites.google.com/site/stirlingbuilder/paint-can-stirling-engine
elsewhere
is a dying

My argument with SC is that, in an age when so many projects are
microprocessor based, they so rarely release the source code. One of the
great things in the "Old days" was that, if you aspired to do more than
just solder a bunch of parts together, you could modify the project to
your hearts content. That should be even easier these days by playing
with the software, but only if you have the project source code to start
with.

Re: Magazine subscription

that my subscription ran out in April 2010 and nobody
miss it if I don't re-subscribe. I have subscribed to
Radio and Hobbies from the newsagent.
used to be.
elsewhere
is a dying
microprocessor based, they so rarely release the source code. One
just solder a bunch of parts together, you could
days by playing with the software, but only if you

Not sure about this, but most of the SC uP projects in the last decade
have been from a Mr. John Clark. AFAIK he has made the assembler listing
available for most of his projects. When an article is contributed, that is
it comes from outside of the SC staff, the software author does not always
make the assember listing available, probably because SC doesn't want to
pay extra.

Re: Magazine subscription

Authors shouldn't expect to get extra for source code, and SC don't
offer nor pay extra for it.
You get a flat rate of $100/page for an article, if you want to keep
the code to yourself then that's the authors choice, although it may
sometimes impact upon the decision by SC to publish or not.
Mauro Grassi and Nicholas Vinnen have been churning out some nice
micro based projects, and Jim Rowe has been doing some too.

Dave.

Re: Magazine subscription
that my subscription ran out in April 2010 and nobody
miss it if I don't re-subscribe. I have subscribed to
Radio and Hobbies from the newsagent.
I used to be.
model?https://sites.google.com/site/stirlingbuilder/paint-can-stirling-engine
elsewhere
hobbyist is a dying
microprocessor based, they so rarely release the source code. One
than just solder a bunch of parts together, you could
days by playing with the software, but only if you

Not supplying the source code to a microprocessor project is the same as
not supplying a circuit in a conventional project.

Re: Magazine subscription

"fritz is a lying pig "

** FYI  = dickhead.

John Clark is a former staffer of EA magazine.

He was one of the defectors that left along with Leo Simpson and Greg Swain
to form the original SC staff.

That event precipitated the return of Jim Rowe to the editorship of EA
magazine.

Mr Rowe did not consider the departure of the above three to be any great
loss at all.

....  Phil

Re: Magazine subscription

Yawn - that just shows how ignorant you are........and you always mount a
personal attack...because you are unable to conduct an intelligent debate.

Are you on record stating that John Clarke (spell his name correctly, please) is
a dickhead ?

form the original SC staff.

They formed SC because they saw big business (Federal Publishing) was going
to screw them.

magazine.

As an interim  caretaker, Federal Publishing had already decided that EA was a
goner.

at all.

Didn't stop Jim from joining Silicon Chip later, did it ?
You are so ignorant of the motivation of the people involved in setting up SC.

Site Timeline