Macrovision defeater

Hello,

I have a "Video Stabilizer" device inline with the video input to a VCR. Its
purpose is to remove the Macrovision copy protection where it is included in the
signal (in my case from a DVD player or Foxtel On Demand movies). It works very
well for Macrovisioned PAL video but it doesn't work for Macrovisioned NTSC
video, although un-Macrovisioned NTSC video passes through it unaffected. Any
ideas why this would be the case and whether it should have been easy to design
it to work on both signal types? I suppose there's nothing I can do to get
around it other than bypass the VCR.

Re: Macrovision defeater

the

  While I'm not fully clued-in on what's out there, I do know there are
different "versions" of Macrovision copy protection.

  I can only guess that one would make boxes in both PAL and NTSC
flavours, it does not mean that said boxes cover ALL forms of
Macrovision protection.

  The other question I have to ask, is since the tape is copy protected
(and that costs money), it's likely from a higher budget production
company (hollywood?), and if so, do you not have the means to use
torrents?  You get DVD rips that are arguably as good as (if not better)
than tape copies.

  Unless you're dealing with non-popular material, in which case that's
not an option...
--
I've got morals. I just don't know where they are.

Re: Macrovision defeater

"David Wanker "

** You still copy DVDs onto VHS tape ??

 FFS  why??

 Blank DVDs are way cheaper ( like 30 or 40 cents each) than any VHS tape.

....  Phil

Re: Macrovision defeater

**Dunno why David wants it, but I can attest that, despite my best
efforts to move my mother and my partner's parents into the 21st
century, they stubbornly refuse to record to their PVRs and DVD
recorders (which I lovingly installed and spent hours teaching them to
use), preferring instead, to stick to VHS. Likewise, they don't watch
DVDs either. And yes, I've patiently explained that in around 12 months,
they'll have almost no choice in the matter.

I think I'll sneak in one night and steal their VHS machines. It's the
only way.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Macrovision defeater

Don't they have any old tapes they want to watch sometimes? There must be a
massive amount of stuff on tapes out there. People either chuck them out or they
need a VCR.

Re: Macrovision defeater
they

For about $40 you can get a little gadget with 3 RCAs on one side and a
USB plug on the other that converts whatever video comes in to DVD via
your PC. I'll chuck the pile of tapes and the VCR when I get around to
doing it :)

PS Of course the result looks just a shitty as the original did, but we
didn't know any better in those days.

Re: Macrovision defeater

There are special filters on moden NLE's to get that shitty look of old
tapes, film and TV sets. Ironic isn't it.

Re: Macrovision defeater
Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

Re: Macrovision defeater

Will they also add scratchy and surface noise to your MP3 to simulate
vinyl

Re: Macrovision defeater
On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 05:01:45 -0800 (PST), kreed

iZotope Vinyl     :-)

Re: Macrovision defeater

I see it but I don't believe it ;)

Re: Macrovision defeater

they

I have a VHS tape on which I recorded some FMTV similcast programs
in 1986 and which still plays.

Re: Macrovision defeater

Quote from above: "video input to a VCR"
No mention of copying.

Quote from my reply to John Tserkezis: " I only use the VCR as a switching box
or occasionally to __play__ an old tape."

Re: Macrovision defeater

 "David Wanker "

** But you did mention copying:

" Its purpose is to remove the Macrovision copy protection .. "

  Macrovision only affects VCRs when  RECORDING to tape.

** The you need to explain more -  cos TV sets are not bothered by
Macroviosion.

...   Phil

Re: Macrovision defeater

But not that I was copying anything.

Yes, so it's watchable. Macrovision copy protection doesn't stop you copying
anything.

It affects my Sony VCR whether recording or not. The Macrovisioned DVDs were
unwatchable just having the video pass through the VCR. I think a Panasonic I
had a while ago was the same.

I explained enough for what I was asking. I want to remove Macrovision from the
video into the VCR. That's all. I know TVs are not affected. I was forced to
connect the DVD player directly to the TV to fix it, but I shouldn't have had to
do that. Going through the VCR gives me more flexibility, such as choosing audio
output to an amplifier or TV sound any time.

Re: Macrovision defeater
 "David Wanker "

** Pedantic bullshit  -  like all your thinking.

** That is not usual.

**  You made everyone think you were recording to the VCR

  -   by failing to mention that you were not.

    Fuckwit.

...  Phil

Re: Macrovision defeater

This from the most pedantic Usenet poster on the planet when it comes to trying
to wriggle out of erroneous posts with technicalities. Have you ever admitted a
mistake? Witness your use of "criteria" as singular a while back.

Irrelevant. I asked on an electronics ng why an electronic Macrovision-removing
device does not work with NTSC. I mentioned the VCR only for background, since
if the signal were not going into a copying device I would not need the video
stabilizer at all. Even if I were copying, what difference should that make to
the answers?  I described the setup and asked a question pertaining to the
behaviour of a device _in that setup_.

Re: Macrovision defeater
 "David Wanker = FUCKWIT "

   ( snip stupid crap)

**  See how this utter fuckwit ignores the main point completely .

** Fraid it is 100% relevant to my posted question.

** A fuckwit question to begin with.

** FFS -  imbecile, the whole purpose of  Macrovision is to defeat
  RECORDING   of a video signal by a VCR.

** We can all see what you wrote and it is completely  MISLEADING !!

   Piss off   FUCKWIT !!!!!!!!!!!

....  Phil

Re: Macrovision defeater

Yes, you don't want to revisit that.

Two out of two VCRs I've mine of the biggest VCR brands you could buy don't make
the distinction. I think you are simply wrong about this. In any case, what did
you expect me to add?

Questions don't need your approval, Phil.

Irrelevant to my question, which was about the device.

No. If you just stuck to what I wrote instead of jumping to assumptions you
would have been relevant.

Re: Macrovision defeater

No. My OP ended with: "I suppose there's nothing I can do to get around it other
than bypass the VCR." That doesn't make sense if my aim is to record on the VCR.

Site Timeline