Luxeon Leds

Can anyone tell me how I could test the difference between a 1 watt Luxeon LED and a 3 watt Luxeon led ? In as much as they both look the same, neither has any markings saying 1 or 3 so I'm assuming I know which one is which but would like to know for sure before attaching them to their drivers.. Would there be a difference in resistance or anything else one could measure with a MM ?

Thanks, Steve.

Reply to
!!::!!::

In message , "!!::!!::" writes

Current limited supply, stare directly at it for 30 seconds timed with a stop watch and time how long it takes for you to get your sight back? Seriously though, there is a guide n Luxeon 'binning' codes floating around that may give you more information as to how they classify and mark their product.

Clint Sharp
Reply to
Clint Sharp

In message , Clint Sharp writes

Ooops... Funny but not at all relevant, sorry...

--
Clint Sharp
Reply to

Not funny, either What are you smoking these days, Clint ?

Reply to
fritz

Measure the current at full brightness, the power in watts will be about the current times the voltage across the LED.

Reply to
glenbadd

"glenbadd"

** Begs the question - fool.

Only the maker's know for sure what brightness can be sustained for the rated life span.

That why we have things called specs.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

... Nice one. You noticed I deliberately didn't say how full brightness was determined. Short of having a light meter, maybe measuring the die temperature and trading that off against a life span derating could give a better idea. I'm just throwing some ideas, not trying to be definitive.

Reply to
glenbadd

"glenbadd" "Phil Allison"

** Full brightness = maximum brightness.

The point is that this is not the same as NOR indicative of the maker's speced brightness or the maker's speced input power level.

** No - you were *begging the question* !!!

A tiresome mistake in reasoning beloved by all fools.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Phil's point, that you seem to have missed, is that you can't and shouldn't try to *determine* full brightness. Instead, you should read the manufacturer's spec, since they conduct proper testing and quality control to find a figure for which they can guarantee a specified lifetime.

After all, if you could pump enough energy in, I'm sure you could make it brighter than a supernova... for a short time.

Which leaves you guessing, since you don't know which part you have, so you don't know what spec to read. If you know which of a small number of possible parts you have, read the specs of all, find some specified difference in behaviour that you think you can measure, and do that.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Reply to
justlookin