Luxeon Leds

Can anyone tell me how I could test the difference between a 1 watt Luxeon
LED and a 3 watt Luxeon led ? In as much as they both look the same, neither
has any markings saying 1 or 3 so I'm assuming I know which one is which but
would like to know for sure before attaching them to their drivers..
   Would there be a difference in resistance or anything else one could
measure with a MM ?

Thanks,
            Steve.

Re: Luxeon Leds
Current limited supply, stare directly at it for 30 seconds timed with a
stop watch and time how long it takes for you to get your sight back?
Seriously though, there is a guide n Luxeon 'binning' codes floating
around that may give you more information as to how they classify and
mark their product.

http://www.lumileds.com/pdfs/ab21.pdf

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/category/story.cfm?c_id55%&objectid10%501416
--
Clint Sharp

Re: Luxeon Leds
Ooops... Funny but not at all relevant, sorry...

--
Clint Sharp

Re: Luxeon Leds

Not funny, either
What are you smoking these days, Clint ?

Re: Luxeon Leds

Measure the current at full brightness, the power in watts will be
about the current times the voltage across the LED.

Re: Luxeon Leds

"glenbadd"

**  Begs the question  -   fool.

 Only the maker's know for sure what brightness can be sustained for the
rated life span.

 That why we have things called specs.

   .....   Phil

Re: Luxeon Leds

... Nice one. You noticed I deliberately didn't say how full
brightness was determined.
Short of having a light meter, maybe measuring the die temperature and
trading that
off against a life span derating could give a better idea.  I'm just
throwing some ideas,
not trying to be definitive.

Re: Luxeon Leds

"glenbadd"
"Phil Allison"

** Full brightness = maximum brightness.

The point is that this is not the same as NOR  indicative of  the maker's
speced brightness or the maker's speced input power level.

**  No -  you were *begging the question*  !!!

A tiresome mistake in reasoning beloved by all fools.

......  Phil

Re: Luxeon Leds

Phil's point, that you seem to have missed, is that you can't
and shouldn't try to *determine* full brightness. Instead, you
should read the manufacturer's spec, since they conduct proper
testing and quality control to find a figure for which they can
guarantee a specified lifetime.

After all, if you could pump enough energy in, I'm sure you could
make it brighter than a supernova... for a short time.

Which leaves you guessing, since you don't know which part you
have, so you don't know what spec to read. If you know which of
a small number of possible parts you have, read the specs of all,
find some specified difference in behaviour that you think you
can measure, and do that.

Re: Luxeon Leds
Thanks for all the replies I guess i'll figure it out or burn them trying
:-) watch for the supanova !!