LPG price?

What is the real reason for LPG price to jump from 55c to 90c?! Is it likely to go back to 55c again? Doesn't this massive price hike destroy industries and make it worthless to own an LPG converted vehicle?

Reply to
Damian

It makes the oil companies lots of money.

Probably. Or maybe not.

High prices have killed off the alternative fuels industry before.

As to the value of your vehicle, I don't think it's altered in any way by the price of lpg.

Regards,
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Noddy

The price goes up same time every year and every year someone complains about it. Its due to the demand for LPG in the Northern Hemisphere winter. Even if LPG was $1.00 per litre that would still mean its about 40-50cpl cheaper than petrol so still worth converting if you do a lot of kms.

--
Daryl
Reply to

That a fallacy. It jumped from 55c to 90c overnight. Any idiot can see that it is not typical holiday/end of year price hike. They just cleverly timed it, so the idiots won't feel it as badly.

Nope. That's just a story made up to bullshit us. There's much more going on with the price jumps.

Take into account the wear and tear on LPG converted engines, low kilometers per litre, etc. I bet you won't be spending thousands on an LPG conversion. Compare it with the Petrol price and the power you get from Petrol engine. conventional dual fuel engines produce less power with LPG. Even EFI ones produce less power per RPM. If I uderstand it correclty, majority of the LPG cost for the manufacturer goes into storing it, and also special means of transportation. Otherwise, it was a waste product. My point. It's due to crooked business decisions by major producers.

Reply to
Damian

Hang on a second. You originally *asked* why it was that the price has jumped, and now you're *telling* everyone why?

The wear rate of lpg engines is considerably less than it is on petrol engines all else being equal.

I can't speak for anyone else, but in the last 6 years I spent 5 grand on lpg conversions on my own vehicles and I'd happily do so again tomorrow if I had one that needed it.

The cost of the conversion in isolation isn't the critical factor. It's how long it'll take you to recover the money and *then* go over onto the savings side of the equation that is important.

Rubbish :)

Until very recently I had two vehicles fitted with injected vapour lpg systems. I still have one (with the same Prinns system being used on both cars) and their performance is/was indistinguishable between gas and petrol.

I've been using lpg powered vehicles for over 30 years and in that time I've seen some *appallingly* bad conversions, but in almost every single case the resulting performance loss was the fault of the installer in doing a terrible job.

A vehicle fitted with a properly installed and tuned injected system (either vapour or liquid) would be impossible to detect running on either fuel.

LPG is a by-product of the crude oil refining process, but that's not it's only source. It also comes from natural gas.

I'm sorry, but it's not exactly clear what your point is, other than you being unhappy with the current price.

Welcome to Capitalism. Enjoy your stay.

Regards,
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Noddy

Damian - please don't cross post to unconnected irrelevant news groups.

I've seen more than one good NG turn to crap permanently because of cross posting.

Kennedy