Low pressure sensor

That is just a simple float switch.

Actually, thinking about it, a float driving a counterweight over a pulley that turns a multi-turn pot as a voltage divider into a ADc might work just as well.

Reply to
terryc

Indeed it would (in theory), but it is expensive to (properly) build and difficult to maintain such a mechanical contraption surely.

Mark Kelepouris

Reply to
Mark Kelepouris

It depends on how flash you want to make it. Something Heath Rrobinson'ish* shouldn't be too hard to knock up. The hard part would be driving the pot shaft and the pot would probably be the only thing that needs replacing. The rest of the electronics would take the same wear and tear whatever the project.

The counter balance would also be a visible inverse indicator on the outside.

*If I used something like an old bicycle rim**, the biggest problem would be the local birdies using it as perch. Given a 27" rim, it would probably be a direct drive and if I didn't want that much accurracy, I could probably use that box of 10Mohm pots that can in a lucky dip a few decades ago.

Hmm, digital? You could block out grey code around the spokes and have it interrupt a series of opto receivers mounted ontothe old bicycle fork. wouldn't need a ADC and just drive the parallel port directly.

** Given the right jargon, you could probably call it a "piece of art".
Reply to
terryc

My gut feeling is that no pot track will cope with the constant wear from such an arrangement and will very quickly wear out.

Reply to
MoiInAust

that might depend on where you are. Central Australia and dust would be your biggest problem. For Sydney, I'm lucky to have average a full tank once a month, which would be less wear than the volume pot on the stereo.

Reply to
terryc

This method is routinely used worldwide for river/ocean/catchment levels. A quadtrature optical encoders are usually used with wheels in the order of

100 to 300mm diameter. Multistrand steel wire like fishing trace wire is used. Accuracies to
Reply to
K Ludger

Sounds dead simple but I think I'll stick with the jaycar sensor ;-)

Michael

Reply to
Michael C