Looking for old Adcola M100 series soldering iron

I wonder if anyone has one of these soldering irons circa 1960 ->
commonly used by Telecom/Telstra techs on 50V. They usually had a red
bakelite handle and the heater element was spiral wrapped with
stainless wire. The M100 series took a 1/4" diameter soldering tip.

I need just the handle parts because I have spare elements and tips.
Royel don't support tthis iron nowadays.

If anyone has one they wish to part with please contact me.

Re: Looking for old Adcola M100 series soldering iron

Exploded parts view posted on abse as 'Adcola'

Re: Looking for old Adcola M100 series soldering iron

"Ross Herbert"

**  See my new pic on ABSE  in reply.

A 16 watt Adcola standard iron.

The tip is 5mm dia with a 0.1 mm foil sleeve.

Bought at York Street  DSE in in about 1979.

Works fine.

Any use to you ?

.......     Phil

Re: Looking for old Adcola M100 series soldering iron

Geez Ross, haven't seen one of these in years.
The last 50v irons used in Telstra were Weller TCP types.
Other than soldering jumpers on old solder tag blocks on MDFs I can't see a
use for them.
I will ask a few of the old boys if they still have one lurking in the shed.

Cheers,
Alan

Re: Looking for old Adcola M100 series soldering iron

Try this
snipped-for-privacy@pacific.net.com

I think he bought all the old Royel business.

John G.

Re: Looking for old Adcola M100 series soldering iron

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 22:42:11 +1000, "John G"

message
red
tip.
tips.
can't
the

Thanks John. I will fire off a message and see what happens.

Re: Looking for old Adcola M100 series soldering iron

On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 15:04:42 GMT, Ross Herbert

Tried it and the email bounces. Apparently no longer around.

Re: Looking for old Adcola M100 series soldering iron

Royel was the importer I think years ago and now Techtron sell Royel
Irons that look suprisingly like the Adcolas.
http://www.techtron.net.au /

John G.

Re: Looking for old Adcola M100 series soldering iron

On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 13:19:10 +1000, "John G"

and has a one-piece plastic handle. It is completely different in
construction and the heater element I have is not compatible.

Phil posted a bigger picture of the one you refer to on abse.

Re: Looking for old Adcola M100 series soldering iron

"Ross Herbert"

**  Yeah   -  you always have to take account of the " big picture " .

......    Phil   ;-)

Re: Looking for old Adcola M100 series soldering iron

On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 19:47:47 +1000, "Phil Allison"

Well, in this case the "big picture" certainly was much clearer.

Re: Looking for old Adcola M100 series soldering iron

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 20:06:03 +0800, "Alan Rutlidge"

red
tips.
see a
the shed.

Thanks Alan. The M100 was a very reliable soldering iron in its time
and I just want to restore one for my old tool collection. I have the
little brother to the M100 (the Adcola M60/M70 series) with the 3mm
dia tips.

Before the Adcola there was the Birko 100W (still got mine in working
order). Very useful for those old 40/40, 80/80, 100/100 dist boxes or
MDF terminals. Those terminals sucked heat out of the tip like you
were soldering directly to copper heat sink and you needed a 100W iron
when doing a long job.

Re: Looking for old Adcola M100 series soldering iron

Rockby had a stack of Adcola spares about 5 years ago as disposal parts.
There's a chance they still have some bits left over.

Re: Looking for old Adcola M100 series soldering iron

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 22:40:22 +1000, "Mark Harriss"

parts.

Thanks Mark, I will fire off a message and see what happens.

Site Timeline