Looking for old Adcola M100 series soldering iron

I wonder if anyone has one of these soldering irons circa 1960 ->

commonly used by Telecom/Telstra techs on 50V. They usually had a red bakelite handle and the heater element was spiral wrapped with stainless wire. The M100 series took a 1/4" diameter soldering tip.

I need just the handle parts because I have spare elements and tips. Royel don't support tthis iron nowadays.

If anyone has one they wish to part with please contact me.

Reply to
Ross Herbert

Exploded parts view posted on abse as 'Adcola'

Reply to
Ross Herbert

Geez Ross, haven't seen one of these in years. The last 50v irons used in Telstra were Weller TCP types. Other than soldering jumpers on old solder tag blocks on MDFs I can't see a use for them. I will ask a few of the old boys if they still have one lurking in the shed.

Cheers, Alan

Reply to
Alan Rutlidge

Rockby had a stack of Adcola spares about 5 years ago as disposal parts. There's a chance they still have some bits left over.

Mark Harriss

"Alan Rutlidge" >

Try this snipped-for-privacy@pacific.net.com

I think he bought all the old Royel business.

John G.

Reply to
John G

"Ross Herbert"

** See my new pic on ABSE in reply.

A 16 watt Adcola standard iron.

The tip is 5mm dia with a 0.1 mm foil sleeve.

Bought at York Street DSE in in about 1979.

Works fine.

Any use to you ?

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 20:06:03 +0800, "Alan Rutlidge"

see a

the shed.

Thanks Alan. The M100 was a very reliable soldering iron in its time and I just want to restore one for my old tool collection. I have the little brother to the M100 (the Adcola M60/M70 series) with the 3mm dia tips.

Before the Adcola there was the Birko 100W (still got mine in working order). Very useful for those old 40/40, 80/80, 100/100 dist boxes or MDF terminals. Those terminals sucked heat out of the tip like you were soldering directly to copper heat sink and you needed a 100W iron when doing a long job.

Reply to
Ross Herbert

can't

the

Thanks John. I will fire off a message and see what happens.

Reply to
Ross Herbert

parts.

Thanks Mark, I will fire off a message and see what happens.

Reply to
Ross Herbert

Tried it and the email bounces. Apparently no longer around.

Reply to
Ross Herbert

Royel was the importer I think years ago and now Techtron sell Royel Irons that look suprisingly like the Adcolas.

John G.

Reply to
John G

and has a one-piece plastic handle. It is completely different in construction and the heater element I have is not compatible.

Phil posted a bigger picture of the one you refer to on abse.

Reply to
Ross Herbert

"Ross Herbert"

** Yeah - you always have to take account of the " big picture " .

Reply to
Phil Allison

Well, in this case the "big picture" certainly was much clearer.

Reply to
Ross Herbert