Looking for data on old power transistors marked 108

Hello hobbyists and enthusiasts,
at a trash and treasure market, I picked up a nice
heatsink with 5 large power transistors on it.
I was thinking it would make a nice series
regulator section of a home built power supply.

I have searched the net for data on the transistors
but have not had any luck. Perhaps you chaps
with old data manuals may have some information.

The transistors are round, the diameter of a 20 cent
piece, and just over 1cm thick  Stud mounted.

They are marked like this
466
108
6314

The 108 is in very large printing so I believe that is
the type number.
6314   is probably the date of manufacture (1963).

Any info appreciated,
Regards,
John Crighton
Hornsby

Re: Looking for data on old power transistors marked 108

The fact it is on a heatsink, bare aluminium I guess, makes me think it
is IBM proprietary series regulator.
Not sure if I have any data, I moved 18 months ago and some things had
to go. I will have a look for you.
--
John G

Wot's Your Real Problem?

Re: Looking for data on old power transistors marked 108

Found the part number then Goooogle found:-

http://ed-thelen.org/1401Project/BobEricksonIBM-Transistor-Substitution.html

--
John G

Wot's Your Real Problem?

Re: Looking for data on old power transistors marked 108

I have a very old list that shows IBM 108 transistor:

Germanium, PNP, BVO 40,  IC Max 5000Ma, VCE Sat 1.0V, RT 0.7 C/W.
There is also a column that I can't quite read - appears to have
heading "B" (Beta ??) showing what, look like 15 for the 108.

I never got to do anything with the identical transistors that I
scavenged over 25 year ago, so if you need some more of them. . .
Andy Wood
snipped-for-privacy@trap.ozemail.com.au

Re: Looking for data on old power transistors marked 108

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 04:05:39 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@trap.ozemail.com.au (Andy

Hello John G, Phil and Andy,
thank you for your efforts, much appreciated.
I would never have found that info.
You are correct John G the heatsink is bare aluminium
with nylon standoffs since the transistors are secured
directly  to the heatsink, no mica washer.  Blooming
amazing that you know this assembly from way back.

Andy, when you say you never got to do anyrhing
with the identical transistors scavenged 25 years ago,
I think you should have this heatsink for a power
supply project or whatever.  You have a heap
of spare odd ball stud transistors that would fit in
the holes of the heatsink if the originals blow.

The heatsink is yours for free Andy, you have
kept those "come in handies" long enough.   :-)
Use 'em up.

Regards,
John Crighton
Hornsby Heights

Re: Looking for data on old power transistors marked 108

"John Crighton"

**  Is there maker's name or logo on the devices  ??  Device maker's always
brand their products -  so if it is missing then the number is not the
maker's part number.

If the equipment maker has his name or logo printed on the device  -  guess
what  ?

Septics just * loooove * to re-brand and re-number devices to suit
themselves and confound others.

.........    Phil

Re: Looking for data on old power transistors marked 108

hi,by the way my name is michael,and i have some link that i think
might help you,
http://www.tpub.com/electronics.htm
this link may give some ideas to make you projects easier!

Re: Looking for data on old power transistors marked 108

 One day mhyk got dressed and committed to text

Ohh Hell Yeah!!
Just chocka block with old "geranium" transistors and info :_)

--
Regards ..... Rheilly Phoull

Re: Looking for data on old power transistors marked 108

Funny you should say that. The list where I found the "IBM 108"
information shows it with a three leter code GPP, with an explanation
at the top, and I quote, "CODE    1ST letter -  G - Geranium   S -
Silocon ..."

Andy Wood
snipped-for-privacy@trap.ozemail.com.au

Re: Looking for data on old power transistors marked 108

Often used with Tantrum capacitors in the
good old days.

Re: Looking for data on old power transistors marked 108

LOL :)

Site Timeline