Looking for a replacement capacitor

Hi, the timer on my heating hast stopped running, its a mechanical
driven by a small motor conected to 230Vac, the problem is a capacitor
(the only other component) that is in series with the motor. I shorted
the cap with a multimeter and the motor started running again.

The cap has the following info printed on it:

.1/10
250V ~
MKP1.70
.1/10
250V ~

What should I use as a replacement? What is the value exactly .1uF/10?
Which I assume is 10nF, true?

What exectly is the cap for?

Cheers Brian

Re: Looking for a replacement capacitor

Got the info in another NG. Thanks

Re: Looking for a replacement capacitor

0.1 uF
10 percent tolerance
250 volts AC

The capacitor probably provides a phase shifted current into a second set of
motor windings to give a rotational field.  With the capacitor shorted, your
motor may run but with low torque, failure to start or possibly overheating.

Please be sure to use a part designed for mains operation.

Dick Smith Electronics : catalogue no. R-2628 looks OK.

Roger Lascelles

Re: Looking for a replacement capacitor

Roger,

most of this was discussed in another NG.
You verify the ratings that the others finally arrived at.

Cheers

Site Timeline