Looking for a chip burning mob!

Hey people!!!

About 7 years ago there was a mob somewhere in Australia (melbourne I think)
that sold their own chip burner... It was advertised in Electronics
Australia for a long while and it was quite expensive, but was able to
bypass the security of a lot of programmable chips... Can anyone remember
the mob or would somebody have a back issue of EA they could have a flick
through? It was in the back advertising section...

Any help appreciated!!

Cheers!

Re: Looking for a chip burning mob!

Do you mean a device that is able to read the contents of a security
protected micro or other device?

Dave :)

Re: Looking for a chip burning mob!

Hi Dave, yep.
Samsung K9F5608U0B Its a boot rom for a portable computer. The manufacturer
wont repair it. They tell me it is not a servicable part and want me to buy
another complete unit. Pretty rough considering the cost. So I'm looking for
a way to repair it using the good unit's chip as a reference.
I have 2 of these computers, each one has a unique ID stored in the secure
area and wont boot without it, hence why Im looking for a way to do it.
I know there used to be a mob that did this kind of work but i dont remember
what they were called.

Regards!

Re: Looking for a chip burning mob!

u could always analyse the data from the rom, whilst booting.
if you don't have the gear, slow the clock down and use a led on the
data pins - an old trick!

:
: > Do you mean a device that is able to read the contents of a security
: > protected micro or other device?
: >
: > Dave :)
:
[...]

Good luck, no longer are the days of 1k roms. The OP is describing a
32mb flash. millions of instructions may be executed before the secure
bit.

Re: Looking for a chip burning mob!

In that case you'll be very lucky if anyone can do it easily.
There are some people around who claim to be able to do stuff like
this, but in relality it is dependant upon the device model itself.
Several brands and models of (mostly older) micros and PLDs have known
flaws in the security system that can be exploited, but it's unlikely
someone has done it for your particular model of memory device.
Also, the process often involves destruction testing of several
components, so with only one working device I'd be very hesitant to
give it to one of these companies.

Dave :)

Re: Looking for a chip burning mob!

Hi Dave,
It wouldnt be that much of a sacrifice, I'd just buy several blank ones ;)
I don't suppose you know of any of these above mentioned people?

Cheers!

Re: Looking for a chip burning mob!

Yeah, but if they kill your only working one before they figure it out
- oops...

Not off-hand, sorry, they tend to come and go a lot.
This might be a good place to ask:
http://community.reverse-engineering.net /

Good luck.

Dave :)

Re: Looking for a chip burning mob!

  Hmm, it might have been JED Micros in Melbourne if memory serves.

Cheers,

Re: Looking for a chip burning mob!

Sadly wasn't JED Micros :(
I already know what the code is, its an 8 digit combination of
alphanumerical data eg 1N325ZAT, I just don't know how its stored in the
chip itself or how to recreate it. I dont know how many bytes the
programmable block has in it because I dont really understand the
electronics side of it, but I do know it has to store the particular model #
and the 8 digits in that one spot, so it can't be a huge size...

Site Timeline