Load limit on a double powerpoint?

I have quite a bit of computer equipment hanging off a double powerpoint and I'm started to get a little concerned about limits. There are 5 PCs and a few bits and pieces connected via a couple of

1000VA UPSs. I had the two UPSs off a single point with a double adaptor but have now switched them to a point each.

Is the cabling to a *double* power point rated for at least twice the load of a single outlet? IOW, can I (theoretically) safely draw 10A from each of the outlets?

Along similar lines, in our next house which will be built shortly would it be worth asking for separate feed lines to the multiple powerpoints that will be installed into the home office? I remember from the build of our current house that most of the rooms are daisy chained.

Reply to
rowan194

"rowan194"

** Domestic power circuits are rated at 16 or 20 amps in total - no matter how many GPOs are hanging off it.
** Each feed line requires its own circuit breaker and you can only have so many of them on the ( normally) single phase supply entering the premises.

Good idea not the share the home office power circuit with other rooms in the house though.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Even at your max. UPS load it's still within the rated 2400VA limit then.

No, double power points are nearly always fed by a single cable, and usually from a 15/16A circuit breaker or fuse.

You probably have more to worry about when you plug the electric kettle, the microwave or toaster/toaster oven, and a few other kitchen appliances from the same circuit simultaneously. I know people who do that and can't be told the simple reason why the circuit breaker keeps tripping on them.

But having more circuits from the main power board certainly doesn't hurt, and will cost you a lot less at the house construction stage, than added later on.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

No, socket outlets in a domestic situation are not limited to a 16A or

20A circuit. Providing the wire size is large enough, and the voltage drop within limits, you can use 25A or 32A circuits. Not common, due to requirement of larger cable (or shorter runs), but certainly permissible under the wiring rules.

No limit on the number of circuit breakers. The total number of *socket outlets* installed is used to determine the maximum demand, not the number of circuit breakers. Cost normally dictates that the minimum number of circuits are installed, as this is cheaper.

Agreed.

And get surge arrestors installed on the switch board.

David

Reply to
David

I think the rules have changed so that in a domestic situation, if you have circuit breakers then you can have as many outlets as you like. It goes without saying that the wiring must be able to at least handle the current of the circuit breaker. Additionally, both power and lighting must be split into at least two circuits each. In practice you end up with about a dozen circuit breakers, to power circuits such as air conditioning, hot water system, stove, power to the back shed and so on, with nearly all of these protected by a residual current device, in fact I think now you may have to have everything covered by an RCD, (not sure about that off the top of my head.) In any case, make sure you leave a few slots available for future expansion.

Reply to
Elmo

"Elmo"

** Certainly a very large number can be fitted.
** And the AC supply able to handle the total current of all such breakers.
** Not at all - flats and units typically have only one lighting and one power circuit.

Additional circuits may be fitted for the stove and water heater if needed.

** Seen as few as two.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

16 gpo's domestic , 12 commercial in Qld atm .
Reply to
atec77

Stop guessing Phil. Read the wiring rules. The wiring rules permit an unlimited number of 10A socket outlets on circuits protected by a 20A or greater breaker.

*Wrong*.

The AC supply has to be able to handle the maximum demand of the installation. This is calculated for domestic installations based on the load groups, which take into account the load diversity, which would be much less than the sum of the circuit breakers, as not all loads will be on at once. Only in the worst case is the maximum demand determined by the sum of the circuit breakers.

The wiring rules stipulate a minimum of two circuits shall be provided to supply 10A socket outlets for domestic installations. (AS/NZS3018:2001, clause 6.6.3).

Reply to
David

how does it feel philthy having your arse handed to you?

Reply to
atec77

Wow 2 is real small! My house had 5 fuses when I moved in... only 3 were used for outlets and lighting... the other 2 were oil furnace and oil hot water heater. The stove had a different cartridge fuse setup.

Here we go be the number of amps we want... typically a 100 amp or a 200 amp panel. Since I changed to electric heat I got a 200 amp breaker panel, and it has 24 places for breakers... I have about 18 I think... but lots are double

240v since each single is 120v,, and used for heat (3) and the dryer and stove and AC and stuff...

My house is fairly small, some big houses around here have 2 panels, each 200 amp...

My bill averages $100 a month...

Reply to
bob

What everyone must bear in mind is that Philthy here has **NO** qualifications of any sort (inc not even a DL)and is a Uni drop out. So we have this self proclaimed expert (in reality a "back yard" toaster repairman) trying to argue stuff he has Googled answers for! No real world experience and *NO* formal qualifications!

So add this to his prickly disposition and you will see why he is

*unemployable* and is a sad, twisted and bitter little old man raging on Usenet from his bedsit.

It would remind him of his Marist Bros. days I would imagine ;-)

Cheers TT

Reply to
TT

Yes, but he WILL go on and on about having studied electronic engineering at uni at "honours level" or whatever. When challenged as to why he didn't graduate or gain any formal qualications, he will recant his tales of personal woes (without any detail so we never get to read the REAL reason(s) why he quit.)

Gee, TT. You can be so unkind at times. :P

In the vein of Top Gear's test driver "The Stig" -

Some call him just plain misunderstood. Some call him the Toaster Repairman from hell. Some say he's noted for his complete lack of tact, charm and diplomacy. Some even say he's just a sad and lonely old man. But to us he's simply Philthy.

Cheers, Alan

Reply to
Alan Rutlidge

Don't forget his line of recycled sex toys and 'recetified, used condoms'. BTW, this is one of his favorites!

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Adds a whole new meaning to the term "hard on".

Cheers TT ROTFLMAO

Reply to
TT

He concretes as well ?

Wow Multi talented .

Reply to
atec77

It has been suggested that Philthy would look very attractive in some concrete footwear and given the opportunity to have a swim off Circular Quay ;-)

Cheers TT

Reply to
TT

If he ever accepts my offer to come out and play something can be arranged .

Reply to
atec77

Not much chance of that. The closest you're likely to get is if and when he ventures out down the road to WES to pick up a few spare toaster and jug elements. :P

Cheers, Alan

Reply to
Alan Rutlidge

Blocked: Alan Rutlidge, TT, Atec77, Phil Allison

Reply to
Steve

So we

world

on

Wow, nothing real to post...

Do you ever post on electronic issues? Or only when you see one of Phil's posts, to rip it up him? A very quick search leads me to believe the latter. Grow up, or you risk being painted with the same brush, along with several others. Believe it or not, (and I too have had my issues with him in the past), he has contributed a lot over the years, both on the web and in EA and SC. I think that a few people need to be a bit more sympathetic towards his views and motivation. Much as I hate to do it, I'm about ready to killfile all of those involved in this bullshit, but it would be a shame and not the ideal response since many of you have a fair bit to contribute. I know that you guys will continue regardless, but it's a bit sad. I thought that the spamming was enough to worry about.

... Steve

Reply to
Steve