Load limit on a double powerpoint?

I have quite a bit of computer equipment hanging off a double
powerpoint and I'm started to get a little concerned about limits.
There are 5 PCs and a few bits and pieces connected via a couple of
1000VA UPSs. I had the two UPSs off a single point with a double
adaptor but have now switched them to a point each.

Is the cabling to a *double* power point rated for at least twice the
load of a single outlet? IOW, can I (theoretically) safely draw 10A
from each of the outlets?

Along similar lines, in our next house which will be built shortly
would it be worth asking for separate feed lines to the multiple
powerpoints that will be installed into the home office? I remember
from the build of our current house that most of the rooms are daisy
chained.

Re: Load limit on a double powerpoint?

"rowan194"

** Domestic power circuits are rated at 16 or 20 amps in total -  no matter
how many GPOs are hanging off it.

**  Each feed line requires its own circuit breaker and you can only have so
many of them on the ( normally) single phase supply entering the premises.

Good idea not the share the home office power circuit with other rooms in
the house though.

......   Phil

Re: Load limit on a double powerpoint?

No, socket outlets in a domestic situation are not limited to a 16A or
20A circuit. Providing the wire size is large enough, and the voltage
drop within limits, you can use 25A or 32A circuits. Not common, due to
requirement of larger cable (or shorter runs), but certainly permissible
  under the wiring rules.

No limit on the number of circuit breakers. The total number of *socket
outlets* installed is used to determine the maximum demand, not the
number of circuit breakers. Cost normally dictates that the minimum
number of circuits are installed, as this is cheaper.

Agreed.

And get surge arrestors installed on the switch board.

David

Re: Load limit on a double powerpoint?

I think the rules have changed so that in a domestic situation, if you
have circuit breakers then you can have as many outlets as you like. It
goes without saying that the wiring must be able to at least handle the
current of the circuit breaker. Additionally, both power and lighting
must be split into at least two circuits each. In practice you end up
with about a dozen circuit breakers, to power circuits such as air
conditioning, hot water system, stove, power to the back shed and so on,
with nearly all of these protected by a residual current device, in fact
I think now you may have to have everything covered by an RCD, (not sure
about that off the top of my head.) In any case, make sure you leave a
few slots available for future expansion.

Re: Load limit on a double powerpoint?

"Elmo"

 **  Certainly a very large number can be fitted.

**  And the AC supply able to handle the total current of all such breakers.

**  Not at all -   flats and units typically have only one lighting and one
power circuit.

  Additional circuits may be fitted for the stove and water heater if
needed.

** Seen as few as two.

  ..... Phil

Re: Load limit on a double powerpoint?

Stop guessing Phil. Read the wiring rules. The wiring rules permit an
unlimited number of 10A socket outlets on circuits protected by a 20A or
greater breaker.

*Wrong*.

The AC supply has to be able to handle the maximum demand of the
installation. This is calculated for domestic installations based on the
load groups, which take into account the load diversity, which would be
much less than the sum of the circuit breakers, as not all loads will be
on at once. Only in the worst case is the maximum demand determined by
the sum of the circuit breakers.

The wiring rules stipulate a minimum of two circuits shall be provided
to supply 10A socket outlets for domestic installations.
(AS/NZS3018:2001, clause 6.6.3).

Re: Load limit on a double powerpoint?

Nice of you to make philthy once again look like a total plonka David

  how does it feel philthy having your arse handed to you?

Re: Load limit on a double powerpoint?

What everyone must bear in mind is that Philthy here has **NO**
qualifications of any sort (inc not even a DL)and is a Uni drop out.  So we
have this self proclaimed expert (in reality a "back yard" toaster
repairman) trying to argue stuff he has Googled answers for!  No real world
experience and *NO* formal qualifications!

So add this to his prickly disposition and you will see why he is
*unemployable* and is a sad, twisted and bitter little old man raging on
Usenet from his bedsit.

It would remind him of his Marist Bros. days I would imagine ;-)

Cheers TT

Re: Load limit on a double powerpoint?

Yes, but he WILL go on and on about having studied electronic engineering at
uni at "honours level" or whatever.  When challenged as to why he didn't
graduate
or gain any formal qualications, he will recant his tales of personal woes
(without
any detail so we never get to read the REAL reason(s) why he quit.)

Gee, TT.  You can be so unkind at times. :P

In the vein of Top Gear's test driver "The Stig" -

Some call him just plain misunderstood.
Some call him the Toaster Repairman from hell.
Some say he's noted for his complete lack of tact, charm and diplomacy.
Some even say he's just a sad and lonely old man.
But to us he's simply Philthy.

Cheers,
Alan

Re: Load limit on a double powerpoint?

   Don't forget his line of recycled sex toys and 'recetified, used
condoms'. BTW, this is one of his favorites!
<http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber41%078

prove it.
Re: Load limit on a double powerpoint?

Adds a whole new meaning to the term "hard on".

Cheers TT ROTFLMAO

Re: Load limit on a double powerpoint?

He concretes as well ?

  Wow Multi talented .

Re: Load limit on a double powerpoint?

It has been suggested that Philthy would look very attractive in some
concrete footwear and given the opportunity to have a swim off Circular Quay
;-)

Cheers TT

Re: Load limit on a double powerpoint?

If he ever accepts my offer to come out and play something can be arranged .

Re: Load limit on a double powerpoint?

Not much chance of that.
The closest you're likely to get is if and when he ventures out down the
road to WES
to pick up a few spare toaster and jug elements. :P

Cheers,
Alan

Re: Load limit on a double powerpoint?

does us a favour stevie
  sex and travel sonny ..

Re: Load limit on a double powerpoint?

So we
world
on

Wow, nothing real to post...

    Do you ever post on electronic issues? Or only when you see one of
Phil's posts, to rip it up him? A very quick search leads me to believe the
latter. Grow up, or you risk being painted with the same brush, along with
several others.
    Believe it or not, (and I too have had my issues with him in the past),
he has contributed a lot over the years, both on the web and in EA and SC. I
think that a few people need to be a bit more sympathetic towards his views
and motivation.
    Much as I hate to do it, I'm about ready to killfile all of those
involved in this bullshit, but it would be a shame and not the ideal
response since many of you have a fair bit to contribute.
I know that you guys will continue regardless, but it's a bit sad. I thought
that the spamming was enough to worry about.

... Steve

Re: Load limit on a double powerpoint?

<snippo Stevo's hissy fit>

I hope you and Philthy have a wonderful life together.

All the best TT

Re: Message to Steve

: : that being said, Steves point re. TT et al is fairly
pertinent - few (if
: any) technical posts, and a level of maturity right down
there with
: phils worst excesses. People like them have indeed helped
wreck a.e.
: Grow up and get a life, children.
:
: Cheers
: Terry

So I am as bad as Philthy eh?  I rant, rave and randomly
abuse everyone here do I?  Please show me one post from this
group where I have sworn at anyone or for that matter abused
them?  While you're at it please demonstrate how I am
wrecking this group and Philthy is constructively adding to
it?

Yes I have an issue with Philthy as he has set out to defame
and libel me all over Usenet.  I have on many occasions had
the full brunt of his malicious and disgusting rantings so I
know too well what he is capable of.

Ignoring him does not work.  Warning newbies about him does
some good. Sniping at him has the most effect and actually
gives the most satisfaction :-)  To show him up as the
pathetic, abusive creature he is actually makes the most
sense.

Also Terry bear in mind I am not the cause - just a symptom.
So go on, have a laugh at Philthy's expense and don't try
too hard to have meaningful conversation with him.

Cheers TT

Re: MESSAGE to Steve

:
:<Snip cut 'n' paste drivel>
:
: ......   Phil
:
Sigh..........  A little lone voice howling in the darkness.
Won't your new little pal talk to you so you start a whole
new thread so he just might see it and feel sorry for you?

TT

Site Timeline