LM741 opamp substitute?

Greetings,

I am hoping to replace the somewhat dated LM741 opamps in an old 1970s PKE phono preamp. There are 3 in each channel (6 total). I can post a close-up pic of the circuit board to anyone who may be happy to comment specifically. I am hoping to apply a drop-in solution if possible, but understand that this may not be preferable.

Many thanks,

Stephen

Reply to
langleycello

"langleycello"

** The nearest * readily available * op-amp to replace the venerable LM741 in most audio applications is the TL071.

It is indeed pin for pin and a drop in replacement - much more bandwidth & slew rate but very similar noise level to the 741.

Need to see a schematic to exclude any ( not very likely ) issues with the substitution.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

PKE are still active, why not ask them ? Rheilly P

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

Yes, I have, but they no longer have the available info.

Thanks Phil for your suggestion.

For the sake of it, I include some photobucket URLs of one phono card (back and front) which may cast some extra light on things, in the absence of a schematic.

Cheers,

Stephen

Reply to
langleycello

"langleycello"

** " Lament of the 741 "

Why substitute me for another type ?

Have you all fallen for a load of hype ?

I look pretty small but my pins are high

The simple specs you see are all complicated

I may be pretty old but I'm not outdated - yeah ...

Note:

The uA741 first appeared in May of 1968 - it was very expensive.

The TL071 first appeared in July of 1977 - it was dirt cheap.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

The circuit is easily traced in order to create a schematic. From there you should be able to update the circuit.

Reply to
Lord Garth

**Assuming no oddball circuit highlights, the OPA604 will do nicely. If you want to take it further, the AD825 (a carrier PBC will be required) will be (slightly) better again.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Thanks everyone for your thoughts,

I'll get some 8-pin sockets and opt for a flexible arrangement. Maybe I'll first experiment with some TL071s, which hopefully should be OK as an immediate drop in, and then perhaps the OPA604 down the track.

Cheers,

Stephen

Reply to
langleycello

"langleycello"

** Another low cost & readily available op-amp type that ought not be ignored is the very famous NE5534P - available from DSE and many others.

It will likely require a 33pF capacitor between pins 5 and 8 to be " unity gain stable " - as the 741 is inherently.

According to my ( not inconsiderable) experience and also that of renound pommy audio expert Doug Self, the NE5534 is the lowest noise, best performing MM phono stage op-amp available.

( MM = moving magnet = high impedance = 47 kohms)

........ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

**Let's see:
  • It's noisy
  • It has a crappy slew rate.
  • There are other, audibly superior devices available.

741s should be removed from almost ANY product which uses them. They work fine at or near DC, however.

**The 741 is already broke.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

**Just a point: With the OPA604 and most other replacement chips (the 5534 is notorious in this regard), you need to ensure that the supply rails are up to the task. Most other chips consume considerably more current than the 741, although, in absolute terms, we're not talking about a great deal of current.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Whats wrong with the 741? If it aint broke, dont fix it!

Reply to
Two Bob

"Trevor Wilson"

** Big mistake asking Australia's most notorious audiophool plus hi-fi dealer vampire.
** EIN = 3 uV ( in 20 kHz bandwidth )

Signal to noise = 110 dB ( unweighted) relative to 1 volt at unity gain.

** An ignorant audiophool opinion TW gets to keep.

** Another ignorant audiophool opinion TW gets to keep.
** An ignorant audiophool opinion TW gets to keep.
** Yawn - all totally irrelevant.

** An ignorant audiophool opinion TW gets to keep.

** Do look at the vampire's lair.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Geez - now I understand why the ACS demodulator kit (EA 1993) doesn't sound so crash hot. I shouldn't have used a 741 to do the de-emphasis! ;-)

Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker