lithium ion cell suppliers

Howdy everyone,

does anyone know of a lithium ion cell supplier inside oz? I'm after
something around the 18650 size. 3.7-4.2v, 2000mAh or greater. Before
everyone chimes in, YES I know the charging requirements of a lithium ion
cells, planning to use national semi's lm3622 controller to charge the cells
in pairs. and YES I want li-ion and not ni-mh due to weight considerations,
I'm building a battery for a bike light. I want to run a 35 watt HID xenon
and ballast, I just love the 2400 lumens a xenon gives off.

I've an email in with www.master-instruments.com.au already, does anyone
have any other suggestions? Google isn't turning up much

thanks,
Mark

Re: lithium ion cell suppliers

Hi Mark

I get mine them on eBay from somewhere in Hong Kong. They use them in
model aircraft but come in flat packs, usually 7.4 or 11.1 volt. They
also sell a charger which is cheap, but works well. You have to twist
the pins on the plugpack to fit aussie sockets.

Here is my Trailtech light setup. (13 watt)
http://www.hyperactive.oz.nf/Light5/Light5.htm

Friday

Re: lithium ion cell suppliers

Howdy Friday,

who did you buy the Trailtech from, how much was it and how much is a
replacement lamp?

I've spent a fair while looking at lithium ion cells from Hong Kong via
ebay, I'm always sus on quality from such sellers, and they give no response
to any sort of technical question. Those who have responded cannot even tell
me the specific Lithium Ion chemistry.

Mark

Re: lithium ion cell suppliers

I bought mine direct from Trailtech, but postage is a killer. Maybe you
can order a few with friends.
Website here  http://trailtech.net/single_hid_mr11.html

As you can see from my website I made my own mount from fibreglass and
expoxy but it wouldn't be too hard to use any firm material. maybe even
an old epoxy type printed circuit board. Silastic under it would give it
a "bed" to hold it firm. I've bought three lithium ion batterys in the
last two or so years, one failed whilst charging (it sort of puffed up)
it was in bubble wrap so it may have overheated. I have a 3.5 and 2 amp
hour. The 2 is a backup, it's so light you barely notice it in my
Camelback. They seem to store an awesome amount of power, a bit like
those adds which keep going and going and going. My mates have expensive
LED lights and mine easily outshines theirs. I've been waiting for my
light to fail because people keep saying how the lamps are delicate but
mine has been rock solid since I bought it.  I get at least 3 hours use
out of it minimum. I don't use a switch, I use a polarized plug and just
leave the light on for the whole ride. The brand I used is called RC
Smart. The 13 watt lamp is heaps bright.

Friday

Re: lithium ion cell suppliers

Hello Friday,

do you know how much a new lamp is? So far I cannot find a direct source for
the small HID lamp's used for bike and scuba diving lights, where as there
are piles of car lamps on ebay.

Also, did you get a flood or spot? And do you find it good enough to not be
hesitant on the down hill run? I ask as where I am pretty much all the
downhills are long and VERY fast with run off water control ruts here and
there, in the day I'm hitting 80km/h at times.

Mark

Re: lithium ion cell suppliers

I use the floods which are about perfect. I have a Trance 1 Giant and
descend hills at night at pretty much flat out.
Have a look around this site for what you want.

  http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID27%84

The actual lamps are made by Welch Allyn. Do a search for them on the net.

Friday

Re: lithium ion cell suppliers

(snip)

The charging coulomb efficiency of Li-XX  cells exceeds 98%, so there is
virtually no heat generated within the cell as long as proper charging regime is
used.

Such a failure would indicate that charging voltage exceeded specs for a
significant period.

Re: lithium ion cell suppliers

Check out the hobby suppliers - Lithium Polymer is the fashionable choice
for electric aircraft (the charging regime is identical, apart from a slight
difference in cell voltage).

You can start here:
http://www.extremerc.com.au /
http://nqrc.com /

Re: lithium ion cell suppliers

Thanks for the links Poxy.

Charging regime is identical to what, ni-mh?
IF you read these two links, they suggest the two are completely different.

lithium > http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-12.htm
ni-mh>  http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-11.htm

Mark

Re: lithium ion cell suppliers

I meant the charging regime for lithium polymer is the same as for lithium
ion, that being the cell you'd specifically made reference to it in your
post.

Re: lithium ion cell suppliers

ahh I'm so sorry for my confusion Poxy.

Re: lithium ion cell suppliers