Line Powered Corded Phone - again

In addition to the thread not so long ago on line powered corded phones, now
I happen to be after one.
Plenty available of course, but I've been asked to source one that
specifically has an off-hook audible warning beeper.
All the phones I've looked at online don't have it listed in the specs, so
if they do have it it's buried away in the manual which is next to
impossible to find online.

Any leads?

Thanks
Dave.

Re: Line Powered Corded Phone - again

Why would the off hook signal from the telco not be sufficient noise?

Re: Line Powered Corded Phone - again

"Lord Garth"

** Nope.

That can only be heard from less than 1 metre even in a very quiet room.

.....    Phil

Re: Line Powered Corded Phone - again

I can here my bedroom phone in my kitchen some 20 feet away.
Seems the cat kicked the phone off hook.  The receiver was aimed
upwards however.

Re: Line Powered Corded Phone - again

"Lord Garth"

** Then you obviously do not live in Australia.

    What planet is it that you do  ?

**  Musta thought that purring noise was some extra-terrestrial feline
trying to make contact   ......

.....   Phil

Re: Line Powered Corded Phone - again

Where do you live?
What phone do you have?
Does it switch off after a minute or two?

Dave.

Re: Line Powered Corded Phone - again

Hi Dave,

I'm in Dallas Texas.  I have a Panasonic corded desk phone.
Yes, the telco switch will kill the circuit after some time.

I suppose I should tell you that I have exceptional high frequency
hearing.  Though I haven't been tested recently, at age 28, I was
hearing far higher than average.  Seems my ear drums are both
larger than average and tight.  The down shot is that loud is painful
to me.

I probably should go get tested again to see how time has altered
my range.

Re: Line Powered Corded Phone - again

The voice frequencies on a telephone line only extend to 3.4kHz, so I doubt
you have exceptional high hearing based on your statement and observations.

Re: Line Powered Corded Phone - again

<snip>

In the context I stated that I had been tested.  Testing was at a hearing
clinic and
I do have exceptional high frequency hearing.  I never stated that a phone
was
used to test my hearing.  What you are probably missing is that a hearing
test
consists of both frequency and amplitude tests.  These are randomly mixed.
During the test, the subject can't see the test giver.  You only raise your
hand
when you hear a tone in the headphones.  They test left & right ears
together and
individually at various frequencies and amplitudes.  The whole procedure was
about a half hour in length.

As a general rule of thumb, the ability to hear high frequencies goes
together with
low volume since the ability is based upon the area of the tympanic membrane
and
how taut is that membrane.  Usually a large area implies a loose membrane
but not
always.

Re: Line Powered Corded Phone - again

I had my hearing tested once too as part of a job appointment.
They stuck me in a booth with headphones and a push-button to press when I
heard the tone. No tone came so I never pushed the button. They ran back in
screaming and doing hand signs saying I must be legally deaf! My first
response of course was to jokingly scream "WHAT?? with my hand to my ear!
You guessed it, the button was faulty.
Once fixed I eventually got well above average too.

It's almost certain that your being able to hear the phone in the next room
has more to do with the phone system were you live than your low volume
hearing ability (as having exceptional hearing you must have the volume
turned down too of course?)
It looks to be not possible here in Sydney with a conventional phone at full
volume. And of course it cuts off after a minute anyway.

Dave.

Re: Line Powered Corded Phone - again

I'll bet that was funny!!!!  The headphones I was given where rather old but
they did work.

I'd agree that the telco has everything to do with me hearing the warble.
The
odd thing is that the cat kicked the receiver off hook only last weekend.
Lately
he has taken to walking on the phone as I'm having a conversation.  I
suppose
he simply wants attention.

I'm glad there is no quick dial button for 911 service!

BTW, Ninja is a tomcat I rescued from my crappy neighbors.  He's fixed but
he does have his nails.  He'll sharpen them on a tree then run up to hunt
for birds.
I haven't had a pet in 30 years and never were any past pets cats.

Re: Line Powered Corded Phone - again

I just plugged in an old Optus phone I found, and I could barely hear it
half a meter away in a very quiet room.
Also, the off-hook signal only goes for about a minute and then switches off
to just an even quieter static. Do others get the same thing?

Dave.

Re: Line Powered Corded Phone - again

Yes that's the standard action from exchanges like Ericcson and the like.
Prevents tying up exchange equipment. Used to be called 'permanent glow' and
was the bugbear of systems running in 1900 or so!  That's one of the reasons
why switchboards were centrally mounted with milliameters, to keep an eye on
the PG status.

Re: Line Powered Corded Phone - again

If you leave it off long enough (hours?) the exchange (on request of a
third party?) will 'buzz' you.

this is a much louder noise than the dialtone you get upon first
lifting the handset.

Re: Line Powered Corded Phone - again

It's obviously not sufficient for my mother to hear it.

Dave.

Re: Line Powered Corded Phone - again

What makes you think any other phone would have a louder off hook signal
though?
I'm amazed the phones they supply for the hearing impaired don't even have a
decent ring volume, unless you also pay for an extension bell. That's what
happens when the government mandates something for the disabled, without
actually knowing (or caring) what is really needed.

MrT.

Re: Line Powered Corded Phone - again

I'm thinking perhaps there is a phone out there that has its own off-hook
beeper or something. Many have an off-hook visual indicator.

Dave.

Re: Line Powered Corded Phone - again

Sure, and that's usually enough.
I can't recall ever seeing a phone with it's own off hook beeper though, or
anybody else that wants one for that matter.

MrT.

Re: Line Powered Corded Phone - again

Ah!  Mine is 84 and has a similar problem.

Re: Line Powered Corded Phone - again
Off on a tangent would any one have a circuit or way to fit a strobe
light on phone for deaf people (like those blue lights on house alarms)

Site Timeline