Light Bulb Problem...?

I need to separate the glass globe from the metal base - does anyone
know a way of doing this while still keeping the 2 halves intact?

I need to be able to separate the glass, from the base, remove the
"guts" of the base and replace it with something else, and then
superglue the glass back to the base so it looks like a normal light globe.

*YES* I know it wont work again after this.

*NO* Im not a bomber or an idiot, but close, Im a Professional Magician!

Cheers, Richard

Re: Light Bulb Problem...?

Then use magic!

Just kidding....

There are diamond cutting discs you get buy that are made for use with
dremmel tools.  If you use it on the dremmel I would suggest very slow
speed.  Perhaps cutting the glass with the wheel by hand would work better.
Or even a diamond file. Or a bottle cutter...  There is a plethora of glass
cutting tools out there...

Re: Light Bulb Problem...?

See if you can source a diamond wire , thats a wire say with abrasive
impregnated from your local hardware , I used to use mine in a fret saw
30 years ago.

Re: Light Bulb Problem...?

Easier still, I remember from a kids science show - soak a piece of thread
in methylated spirit, wrap it around the glass, light it, and then dip it
into cold water.  It should break in a nice clean line.

*Just like Magic*

Re: Light Bulb Problem...?

I guess you read the post in a different way - I thought he wanted to just
separate the base from the globe, alter the base, then reassemble - not break
the glass

David - who would suggest the OP try soaking the whole globe in something like
actetone to try and dissolve the glue that holds the base and glass together -
or phone the mfg and ask what glue they use

Re: Light Bulb Problem...?

So is John Howard and I can't help him either ! :)))))))

Cheers
Jim

Re: Light Bulb Problem...?

"Richard Waters"

**  Hot air  ( from a paint striper gun ) or a gas flame played on the metal
base should separate them.

.........   Phil

Re: Light Bulb Problem...?

    Isn't this a landlord's recipe for getting rid of problem squatters?:
bulb hooked up to a detonator, surrounded by a bag full of S**t.
Squatter reaches for the lightswitch and BANG!!: the room has been
explosively redecorated in a rather smelly fashion.

Re: Light Bulb Problem...?

In-choir to the factories that make the lamps

I need to separate the glass globe from the metal base - does anyone
know a way of doing this while still keeping the 2 halves intact?

I need to be able to separate the glass, from the base, remove the
"guts" of the base and replace it with something else, and then
superglue the glass back to the base so it looks like a normal light globe.

*YES* I know it wont work again after this.

*NO* Im not a bomber or an idiot, but close, Im a Professional Magician!

Cheers, Richard

Re: Light Bulb Problem...?

globe.

Richard - do you want to get inside the glass envelope or just separate the
parts?

To separate, start with two - break the glass out of one, cut / grind / saw
or etch the base off the second one.

rob

Re: Light Bulb Problem...?

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 13:00:44 +1000, Richard Waters

Many years ago I had a bad batch of globes that separated in normal
usage. It was quite disconcerting to be watching TV and have a hot
globe shoot past your head. I think the adhesive must have been magic.

- Franc Zabkar

Re: Light Bulb Problem...?

use a propane blow torch (or gas flame etc) to heat the base of the
bulb until the adhesive in there lets go. (you'll smell it)
That'll get you an intact glass part. and a metal part with melted solder,

if you need a virgin metal part too you'll need to take another bulb and break
the glass out of it,

you may find that glazing silicone or hot melt-glue does a better job of
sticking the two halves back together.

good luck

Bye.
   Jasen

Re: Light Bulb Problem...?

"Jasen Betts"

**  That is just what I said  earlier in this thread !!

I have used very hot air to release octal valves from their hard plastic
bases.

** Yep  -  I wind up with a perfectly intact glass envelope and a slightly
frazzled bakelite base.

Have managed to "repair" numerous expensive valves ( KT88s etc) where
internal flashover had occurred.

..........   Phil

Re: Light Bulb Problem...?

Heat will do it! Use a butane torch and some welder's gloves. Heat it until
the solder melts, should pull apart.  Don't set anything on fire Merlin!

Re: Light Bulb Problem...?

Shouldn't need to get it that hot. You are just melting glue. You will end
up with the galss bulb with a couple of thin wires connecting it to the
base-just pull- works everytime when the base is "stuck" in the socket- you
end up with a bulb in hand and a base that has to be removed with pliers
(power off please).

--

Don Kelly @shawcross.ca
remove the X to answer

WITH POWER OFF a safer way to remove the base is to slice a potato in
half and impale the sliced end onto the socket. Twist it out!

--Winston

Re: Light Bulb Problem...?

----------------------------
------------------
I did say "power off please" - that's a given.

I am just as safe using my pliers to twist it out. At least, if power is on
I will trip the breaker. The potato is conductive enough to be a problem
while the pliers I use have  insulated handles (even without these, I am
also deliberately not grounded and using myself to complete a circuit. ) . I
have also run into bulb bases that need more torque than a potato would
allow.  Sometimes it is necessary to actually grab the rim of the base with
needle nosed pliers and twist it rather than grab the central stem.
However the potato does eliminate the problem with breaking off small pieces
of glass and cuts from these.

--

Don Kelly @shawcross.ca
remove the X to answer