LG investigated over alleded standard def HDTV - Page 2

Re: LG investigated over alleded standard def HDTV

And those of us who do get abused by the people with Alzheimer's.

MrT.

Re: LG investigated over alleded standard def HDTV

It's bad netiquette.

Re: LG investigated over alleded standard def HDTV

Providing a source for your information in your post is good netiquette,
especially if you're directly quoting an article. I have no idea what
"Appliance Retailer" is or where it comes from. Do you?

Re: LG investigated over alleded standard def HDTV

Try this moron.....

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=appliance+retailer&meta=cr %
3DcountryAU

Re: LG investigated over alleged standard def HDTV

http://www.intermedia.com.au/index.cfm?page=mag.magDesc&mid=1&area=magazines

rgds,

Pete
-----
Re: LG investigated over alleded standard def HDTV

to keyboard and composed:

Second hit with Google ("appliance retailer" magazine):
http://www.intermedia.com.au/index.cfm?page=mag.magDesc&mid=1&area=magazines

-- Franc Zabkar

Re: LG investigated over alleded standard def HDTV

I work for a major retailer and this is the first i've heard about it.

Fact is the LG 42PX4DV is "technically" a HD unit, as it does receive
HD but obviously it has to be scaled to 854x480 (I also happen to own a
42PX4DV)

Re: LG investigated over alleded standard def HDTV

Explains a lot.

Re: LG investigated over alleded standard def HDTV

One thing I've learnt about people who work for retailers, if they have any
knowledge they'd be designing or repairing the stuff not selling it. :-)

Michael

Re: LG investigated over alleded standard def HDTV

Michael C furiously typed the following on 18/11/2005 10:27 AM:

Well, thats a very stupid generalisation!  :-S  And you know what they
say:  "..all generalisations are dangerous - including this one!"

I am an electronics and computer engineer - and it was one of the things
that made me a great salesman and an even better manager...   ...and to
keep the skills sharp I used to work part time for a design firm
making/designing/manufacturing/repairing all sorts of equipment.

It's a shame you feel that way...

--Richard

Re: LG investigated over alleded standard def HDTV

Rather surprising then that you would claim that the 'LG 42PX4DV is
"technically" a HD unit' when the panel is not a HD display, and just
because the unit has a HD tuner, and when LG is a signatory to the CESA
code which 'requires that 'minimum HD display capability shall be 576p'
before a TV can be labelled an HDTV', as stated in the article.

--
rgds,

Pete
-----
Re: LG investigated over alleded standard def HDTV

Of course there are exceptions but generally it is true. You can't ask sales
people much these days. In radio parts you used to be able to ask technical
questions (and they loved answering them) but not anymore.

With all those skills why would you work at retail level?

It seems like a pretty fair assumption to me, if you have the knowledge
you'd be doing something besided selling it. You'd have to admit you were a
pretty big exception.

Michael

Re: LG investigated over alleded standard def HDTV

Radio parts used to sell, not surprisingly, radio parts, as well as
other allied componentry, such as batteries and so on. They then
expanded their stock to include all kinds of electronic componentry, as
well as plugs, connectors, leads, etc.. One of their biggest rivals was
JB Telespares, who were located nearby. Not sure exactly when, but RPG
moved away from supplying parts to the trade to adopt more of a retail
type business, and that has been their undoing in my view. Now they
mainly just flog their Wintal brand, and a few plugs and sockets, etc.,
and try to compete with the likes of Hardly Normal and DSE. Not much
hope of success with that I'm afraid. And all the old blokes with the
tech knowledge have long since gone. In short, they have cut their own
throat. Another thing that they did wrong was to junk their printed
catalogue and rely on their website. Well that was a disaster, and they
were forced to bring back the printed catalogue. But having said all
this.. perhaps they had no choice but to do as they did, as the demand
for electronic parts was probably insufficient to maintain a viable
business in that market alone. They were also selling antennas for
example, but now we have companies specializing solely in antenna
installations at budget prices, like Jim's Antennas, so that is one
market segment that dried up for them as well.

rgds,

Pete
-----
Re: LG investigated over alleded standard def HDTV

Michael C furiously typed the following on 19/11/2005 11:49 AM:

You're right of course and its a shame, and one of the reasons I left...
   ...and I loved answering those questions as well - I was in it for
the pleasure of helping people out.  :-D

The other "sales people" were just that, in it for the sales - and now,
with more "sales people" and less "assitants" there are even MORE
compliants about places like DSE, HN and DoMayne - and its no wonder!

Because I love talking to, and helping, people - thats why I chose many
"service based" industries:  Security and Body Guard, Sydney LightRail
Driver, Retail for HN, Domayne and DSE, I.T. consultant...

...and at the moment I am a Professional Magician!  *laugh*
[richardsmagic.com]

I mean, as a magician I have the skills to pick locks, escape from
handcuffs and such forth - but I choose to be a Magician and not a Cat
Burgler?!

Same for me as the choice above - sure I have the skills and can do
other things but I choose that path, and I did cos I enjoyed it, and not
cos there was money there to earn...   ...cos lord knows u DONT make a
fortune in sales these days?!  *laugh*

And again, youre right, you have a point, but thats why I said it was a
generalisation!  ;-)

OK, I will agree, I wasnt in the majority - and I was glad of it!  :-D

Its a sad state of affairs u have brought up Michael, and its also a
shame that a good post has been evershadowed by idiots arguing about
top-posting and bottom-posting...   ...because u brought up a valid
point mate!

Cya!  Richard [the Wizard from Aus]
---
richardsmagic.com

Re: LG investigated over alleded standard def HDTV

And you retail this type of product? Odd..

I work for a rather large computer retailer, and we get it sent free.. and
yet 95% of the thing is about TVs, and washing machines and vacuum cleaners,
etc .. rarely much at all on computers, so dunno why they send it to us :)

Re: LG investigated over alleded standard def HDTV

Thanks for doing the work for me.   The original poster should have done it
first up.

It's not my job to be hunting around for that sort of thing.

Re: LG investigated over alleded standard def HDTV

The OP did it after you whinged about it, in case you didn't notice. The
article wasn't quoted from the net anyway.

It is if you want it. But rather than being thankful that you'd been
given some info that could help you avoid making a bad purchase, you
just want to whine because there's no url! Get a life FFS! Are you on
the dole are you? Do you think the world owes you a living.

Re: LG investigated over alleded standard def HDTV

Yes, but it should have been included in the original post.

I expect people to properly reference their sources.   I do not want to be
doing any work hunting around the internet finding out about a publication.
Got a problem with that?

Re: LG investigated over alleded standard def HDTV

Yes, when you make such an f'n big deal about it. The source was given.
If you want more info, and you're too bloody lazy to find it yourself,
then your problem.

Re: LG investigated over alleded standard def HDTV

Doesn't encourage good posting habits.   Name the source and full citation
so I don't have to do any work whatsoever.  That's how it should be.

Oh, and I'm not on the dole, but I'm certainly that way inclined.  I deserve
to live an easy life...

Site Timeline