LG investigated over alleded standard def HDTV

--------------070905000405030608070601

 From Appliance Retailer 11/05..

LG has allegedly misrepresented its 42-inch VGA plasma as an HDTV.

LG Electronics is under investigation by the Consumer Electronics
Suppliers Association (CESA) for allegedly breaching the Digital
Television Marketing Code by advertising a plasma with a standard
definition panel as an 'HDTV'.

The 42-inch 42PX4DV plasma has an integrated high definition digital TV
tuner, but will only display an on-screen resolution of 852x480p - far
short of the 576p mandated by CESA in the code as the minimum resolution
for a display device marketed as an HDTV.

Although reluctant to confirm whether LG had breached the code, CESA
executive officer, Bryan Douglas, said he had received a number of
complaints from manufacturers in the industry and that the organisation
was prepared to enforce the code in the event of a breach.

"The code does have enforcement measures, and they have recently been
triggered by some complaints," said Douglas.

The 42PX4DV has been available since July and exhibits the acronym
'HDTV' on its cabinet, despite LG signing the CESA Digital Television
Marketing Code in August 2002, which requires that 'minimum HD display
capability shall be 576p' before a TV can be labelled an HDTV.

The code was entered into voluntarily by many of the major consumer
electronics suppliers including Sony and Philips, and although not
legally enforceable, the CESA Joint Committee can demand participants
amend their advertising or refer them on to the ACCC (Australian
Competition and Consumer Commission).

A number of suppliers contacted by Appliance Retailer expressed dismay
at LG's use of the HDTV logo on a VGA resolution panel, alleging that
consumers were being misled and that the model had the potential to
misrepresent the quality of high definition broadcasting to the public.

Until recently the model was marketed as an HDTV on LG's website, which
also neglected to list the resolution of the panel. LG has since changed
the website and removed the model from the HDTV section, and the company
has expressed its intentions to further amend any misleading information
about the model.

"We certainly don't want to misrepresent the product in consumers'
minds, so we'll review that and I would think make some changes," said
LG category manager, Darren Goble.

LG markets two 42-inch plasmas with the HDTV logo, but the controversy
only relates to the 42PX4DV because the other 42-inch model has an
HD-capable panel.

"There is a full HD model but there's also this other one (the 42PX4DV),
which is an HD tuner in a VGA panel, which I might add is selling very
well because when it is viewed in comparison to other VGA panels it
really has made an improvement to the picture quality," said Goble.

--------------070905000405030608070601

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
From Appliance Retailer 11/05..<br>
LG Electronics is under investigation by the Consumer Electronics
Suppliers Association (CESA) for allegedly breaching the Digital
Television Marketing Code by advertising a plasma with a standard
definition panel as an 'HDTV'.<br>
The 42-inch 42PX4DV plasma has an integrated high definition digital TV
tuner, but will only display an on-screen resolution of 852x480p - far
short of the 576p mandated by CESA in the code as the minimum
resolution for a display device marketed as an HDTV.<br>
Although reluctant to confirm whether LG had breached the code, CESA
executive officer, Bryan Douglas, said he had received a number of
complaints from manufacturers in the industry and that the organisation
was prepared to enforce the code in the event of a breach. <br>
"The code does have enforcement measures, and they have recently been
triggered by some complaints," said Douglas.<br>
The 42PX4DV has been available since July and exhibits the acronym
'HDTV' on its cabinet, despite LG signing the CESA Digital Television
Marketing Code in August 2002, which requires that 'minimum HD display
capability shall be 576p' before a TV can be labelled an HDTV.<br>
The code was entered into voluntarily by many of the major consumer
electronics suppliers including Sony and Philips, and although not
legally enforceable, the CESA Joint Committee can demand participants
amend their advertising or refer them on to the ACCC (Australian
Competition and Consumer Commission).<br>
A number of suppliers contacted by Appliance Retailer expressed dismay
at LG's use of the HDTV logo on a VGA resolution panel, alleging that
consumers were being misled and that the model had the potential to
misrepresent the quality of high definition broadcasting to the public.<br>
Until recently the model was marketed as an HDTV on LG's website, which
also neglected to list the resolution of the panel. LG has since
changed the website and removed the model from the HDTV section, and
the company has expressed its intentions to further amend any
misleading information about the model.<br>
"We certainly don't want to misrepresent the product in consumers'
minds, so we'll review that and I would think make some changes," said
LG category manager, Darren Goble.<br>
LG markets two 42-inch plasmas with the HDTV logo, but the controversy
only relates to the 42PX4DV because the other 42-inch model has an
HD-capable panel.<br>
"There is a full HD model but there's also this other one (the
42PX4DV), which is an HD tuner in a VGA panel, which I might add is
selling very well because when it is viewed in comparison to other VGA
panels it really has made an improvement to the picture quality," said
Goble.<br>
<pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">
</pre>

--------------070905000405030608070601--

Re: LG investigated over alleded standard def HDTV

Source?

From Appliance Retailer 11/05..

[...]

-mark

Re: LG investigated over alleded standard def HDTV

publisher's name or web address would be nice.

Re: LG investigated over alleded standard def HDTV

publisher's name or web address would be nice.

**** Would you like him to wipe your arse as well???And don't top post!

Brian Goldsmith.

Re: LG investigated over alleded standard def HDTV

why not, nothing wrong or against the law with top posting

--
Garry

=======================
Re: LG investigated over alleded standard def HDTV

It's against the code of practice ...

Re: LG investigated over alleded standard def HDTV

You're out of the club if you top post :-)

Michael

Re: LG investigated over alleded standard def HDTV

I usually bottom feed........ummm I mean post on Usenet, I just don't like
someone demanding that everyone HAS to bottom post, its not etched in stone
for gods sake!!
:-)
--
Garry

=======================
Re: LG investigated over alleded standard def HDTV

No, not etched in stone, but close enough.

http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1855.html

Section 3.1.1
"If you are sending a reply to a message or a posting be sure you summarize
the original at the top of the message, or include just enough text of the
original to give a context.  This will make sure readers understand when
they start to read your response."

Re: LG investigated over alleded standard def HDTV

its a FAQ, eg: Frequently Asked Questions you tool, it has no binding power
and neither is it a governing body
get over yourselves :-)

--
Garry

=======================
Re: LG investigated over alleded standard def HDTV

*Top posting error corrected*

No it isn't moron.

It is however a convention that has worked well for many years, since long
before 1995 in fact.

Re: LG investigated over alleded standard def HDTV

Usenet top posting Nazi corrected
PLONK

--
Garry

=======================
Re: LG investigated over alleded standard def HDTV

*Top posting error corrected AGAIN*

Obviously you have nothing to counter what I said so you've resorted to
insults.

You wouldn't know a killfile if it kicked you in the arse.

Re: LG investigated over alleded standard def HDTV

But it should be.

Re: LG investigated over alleded standard def HDTV

one GOOD reason, just one.................................
( I bet he pulls the old and tired "well it follows the flow of
conversation" crap)

--
Garry

=======================
Re: LG investigated over alleded standard def HDTV

When you read a book do you start from the bottom of the page and read
up or start at the top of the page and read down?

Re: LG investigated over alleded standard def HDTV

when you start a conversation do you have to go over everything that was
said previously to be able to follow the direction of the conversation,
EVERY time you make a new comment?? its like having a conversation in the
style of singing "On the first day of Christmas"

--
Garry

=======================
Re: LG investigated over alleded standard def HDTV

["Followup-To:" header set to aus.electronics.]

no. that's whay you edit out the unneccessary bits instseatd of posting the
whole message.

Bye.
   Jasen

Re: LG investigated over alleded standard def HDTV

if only they would, but most people don't even bother :-)

--
Garry