LG DVD 3000 FAULT

Hi All, I have several of these DVD Players in for repair with the same
fault.
OK when cold but when they heat up they will freeze and not turn off, or
just stop or no screen.
I suspect the main logic bpard as it gets very hot.
If freeze spray is aplied it will work fine.
Has anyone seen this before and is it a common fault.
Cheers
Joe

Re: LG DVD 3000 FAULT

<snip>

You just told us it was a common fault! :-)

(Sorry I have no idea of the fix)

MrT.

Re: LG DVD 3000 FAULT

Thanks for the informative response.
It may not be common at all.That was the reason i was posting.Just because i
have 3 of them with the same symptoms means nothing.
If you have no idea of the fix what was the point of posting

Re: LG DVD 3000 FAULT

Thanks for the informative response.
It may not be common at all.That was the reason i was posting.Just because i
have 3 of them with the same symptoms means nothing.

**** There must have been  tens  of thousands of these machines made,and
you just happen to have "several"
of them,with the same fault and you think that means nothing?????

The mind boggles!!!!!!!!

If you have no idea of the fix what was the point of posting

***** If you have no idea of how to fix the fault,what was the point of
posting?

Brian Goldsmith.

Re: LG DVD 3000 FAULT

I guess your top posting shows that you are new, so for your info a :-) is
called a smiley, and it usually indicates humour.

MrT.

Re: LG DVD 3000 FAULT

because

The Fault, apparently was that somebody was selling LG products. Next time,
don't wait for some crazy Yank to be telling you the obvious ;-)

Re: LG DVD 3000 FAULT

"valiumboy"

**  Contact the LG company  -  you need to speak to their warranty service
people.

  Design flaws like that may have a known and published fix.

...........    Phil

Re: LG DVD 3000 FAULT

"valiumboy"

**  Mount a mini ( 40mm) 12 volt fan blowing on the hot areas.

     Call it a  " work around "  ;-)

............     Phil

Re: LG DVD 3000 FAULT

Thanks Phil, as least someone has a constructive comment without being a
smart ass.
I will get on to LG tomorrow.
Suspect one of the ram chips on this board.
And yes i have 3 of them with the same SYMPTOMS.Sometimes freezing,sometimes
no screen at all, sometimes skipping.
Any of the 10 ics on the logic board could be contributing individually or
together to cause these faults.
I was trying to narrow it down.I was hoping someone had seen it before, but
obviously not.

Re: LG DVD 3000 FAULT

I think he *was* very much trying to be a smart ass with that reply!

You truly ARE humour impaired!

MrT.

Re: LG DVD 3000 FAULT

"Mr.T"  =   a congenital fuckwit and life long troll.

**  Nothing smartarse about offering a practical solution to an overheating
problem.

If the mini fan is run with a supply of about 10 volts DC,  the simple act
that it is fully enclosed in the DVD player's cabinet means that no audible
noise will escape.

No air need enter or leave the player for localised fan cooling to work.

............   Phil

Re: LG DVD 3000 FAULT

Absolutely! I've seen it done inside little (500W - 2kW) motor drives
where a 40mm x 40mm 12V fan reduced the peak temperature by over 50C,
yet the average internal temperature only went up 5C. If an electrolytic
cap was unlucky enough to be in the hot spot, it would last about 1/32nd
as long as it should.

Have you checked all of the RAM chips for correctly soldered pins?

Cheers
Terry

Re: LG DVD 3000 FAULT

put finger to keyboard and composed:

Try adding heatsinks, eg http://www.xoxide.com/ramsink.html . DSE's
cat# is Z8340.

I'd also consider ventilating the cover.

If you choose to use a fan, you may strike the same issue that I have
with my Digitor G1605, namely that the SMPS provides 14V and 6V, not
12V and 5V. If this bothers you, or maybe if the noise is excessive,
then you could use this circuit for voltage regulation and speed
control:

http://www.siliconchip.com.au/cms/A_103659/article.html

- Franc Zabkar

Re: LG DVD 3000 FAULT

Thanks guys for the help.Those heatsinks might do the trick and or the fan.
MrT if you have nothing to constructivley contribute then piss off you
dickhead.
I will get onto LG today and let you know the results.
Cheers
Joe

Re: LG DVD 3000 FAULT

Rang LG seems this is fairly common for this model.
Suggested replacement logic board at $367.0O each trade.
I propmtly said i dont think so.
Oh well looks like these are going into the round filing cabinet.
I might try a fan on one of them to see if it makes a difference.
Cheers
Joe
fan.

Re: LG DVD 3000 FAULT

fan.

Anyone with half a brain would find out what the problem really is before
just throwing a fan in the box.
I guess that doesn't include you, since you'd rather abuse people than do a
little research for yourself.

MrT.

Re: LG DVD 3000 FAULT

"Mr.T"   =  serial usenet public menace

 **  Bullshit .

 Service techs are paid  *only* to fix faults  -  not theorise about them.

 The simplest and quickest fix that works is the one to use.

.............   Phil

Re: LG DVD 3000 FAULT

I guess that's your practice anyway.
The question is what constitutes a fix, and what constitutes a botch, hack
or future problem for the next tech?

MrT.

Re: LG DVD 3000 FAULT

keyboard and composed:

Normally DVDs aren't worth spending too much time on. However, the OP
said he had three of the same model, so in this case he can afford to
invest three times the amount of time he would normally spend on a
one-off job. Furthermore, if this fault really is a common one, then
the fourth job may be pure profit. Granted, there is very little you
can do with smt stuff, or ASICs, but at the very least I would check
the power supplies, including the onboard regulators, and I would test
the caps for ESR. Before adding a fan, I would localise the fault with
freeze spray and try some heatsinks.

- Franc Zabkar

Re: LG DVD 3000 FAULT

Yes Frank I did check all the caps in the power supply and did narrow down
the fault with freeze spray to one ram chip on the logic board.This chip is
not available individually and would have to buy a complete logic board.I
searched the net for an alternative supplier but no luck.
Seeing these units are 5 years old i could not justify replacing the logic
boards.
I cant quite fathom what MrT is getting at.
The units were all checked and the fault narrowed down to the logic board.I
posted to see if anyone else had seen something similar before contacting
LG.As i posted on the weekend they would not have been open..
And i did find what the problem was.A design flaw in the logic boards
causing too much heat buildup reducing the operating life of the components.
It is not up to me to sit there and theorise how to fix the flaw.That is up
to the designers of the board.
LG know about it but dont seem too interested.
Cheers
Joe
them.
hack