LED 'fluoro' tubes

http://steplight.com.au/community-bulk-buy/replace-fluorescent-tubes-with-led/

not worth it tho until the cost comes down

--
rgds,

Pete
Re: LED 'fluoro' tubes

The chart on that page seems to show that they are worth it -
presuming that the chart is correct!

Or have I missed something here?

Re: LED 'fluoro' tubes

"Polly the Parrott"
http://steplight.com.au/community-bulk-buy/replace-fluorescent-tubes-with-led/

** Did you see the data sheet?

https://asksteplight.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/corepro-t8-led-20w-data-sheet.pdf

The suggested application is for covered car parks, warehouses, coldrooms
and signage - situations where the tubes would be on for 12 hours a day or
more. Interestingly, the major users of 1.2m fluoros (ie shops, offices and
work places) are not mentioned.

Homes that have 1.2m fluoro fittings use them mostly in kitchens and
bathrooms where the light is cycled many times per day - doing this reduces
the life of a normal fluoro to a small fraction of the quoted 20,000 hours.
However, it will not do the same with LED tubes and combined with flicker
free starting and being unaffected by low temperatures is enough to justify
using them.

Plus most LED tubes are made from polycarbonate so are practically
unbreakable.

... Phil

Re: LED 'fluoro' tubes

Bullshit. Mine cycles less than twice a day in the kitchen and not at
all in the bathroom which doesn?t have a long tube fluoro in it.

Bullshit.

Trivial to get that without paying anything like that.

Mine are completely unaffected by those.

Bullshit.

I've never broken one of mine. And it
costs peanuts to replace if I ever did.

Re: LED 'fluoro' tubes

"Rod Speed is an Idiot "

** Shame it is complete fact.

**  ROTFLMAO  !!

   Mad Rodbot solutions !!!

** Fraid it is an absolute fact.

** Bullshit.

** Bullshit.

** Fraid it is fact.

**  Totally irrelevant crap.

    Just like the Bothead's whole post.

....  Phil

Re: LED 'fluoro' tubes

"Trevor Wilson"

** 90% of which heads off in the wrong direction.

** A light meter (camera or lux meter) will show the illumination level on
the bench below is the same or higher with a 20W LED tube than with your
fluoro.

Fluoro tubes can light up a whole room but are rather poor at lighting up a
specific surface area.

....   Phil

Re: LED 'fluoro' tubes

"Petzl"

**  The solution used in industry is to run all the fluoros from 3-phase
power with three tubes in each fitting each on a separate phase. Cancels out
the strobing effect.

....  Phil

Re: LED 'fluoro' tubes

I'll bet there's a lot of factories, work places, etc., that don't have
it done right tho

rgds,

Pete
Re: LED 'fluoro' tubes

"felix_unger"

** Been standard practice since fluoros were first used for such lighting.

Wherever it matters, it has to be done that way or people lose fingers and
hands.

....  Phil

Re: LED 'fluoro' tubes

Having measured them I found that most modern high-frequency ballasts
for linear fluorescent tubes don't produce any significant 50Hz or 100Hz
flicker. (They have some at 50kHz+ though.)

It's odd that some people still seem to install the old inductor based
'magnetic' ballasts in Australia, and the price of the high frequency
ballasts is quite high here.

The crappy cheap ballasts built into CFLs are much worse than the ones
for linear tubes and seem to flicker strongly at 100Hz (and also many
kHz, the combination of which stops many IR remote controls from working).

Sadly a lot of the new dimmable LED lamps also have very obvious flicker
at a few hundred hertz. I have no idea why they would choose such a low
PWM frequency for the dimming (unless they use some crappy slow
microcontroller and a very rudimentary PWM algorithm, and use a low PWM
frequency to get dimming resolution because they are not up to writing a
sigma-delta modulator for the PWM). Anyway they flicker so badly that I
wouldn't use one of those to read by, let alone over a lathe.

Chris

Re: LED 'fluoro' tubes

"Chris Jones"

** I bet there is a connection there  ....

My info is that it is not that easy to buy HF ballasts for T8 or T10 fluro
tubes  -  only those for T5s which can use no other are easy to buy.

** Fair enough.

....  Phil

Re: LED 'fluoro' tubes

High pressure sodium (and Alsynite skylights) seem more common in the big factories
I don't know if the sodium lamps strobe, or how much. they're cheaper to run than
fluorescents.

--
umop apisdn

Re: LED 'fluoro' tubes

Agree on warm colour temp, I wouldn't buy anything else.

Re: LED 'fluoro' tubes

They can really irritate my eyes. If I spend too much time in places
like Woolworths or Kmart, I get sore eyes.

Re: LED 'fluoro' tubes

I get a lighter wallet..

--
rgds,

Pete
Re: LED 'fluoro' tubes

You should try shoplifting then.
Just ask anyone in the carpark driving a mid-nineties Commodore for
advice on that one.

Re: LED 'fluoro' tubes

They drive clapped out Hiluxes these days - carry more stuff.

Re: LED 'fluoro' tubes

Lurking in aus.cars, I see.

Re: LED 'fluoro' tubes

Not for some time, but you straightened yours a while back ;-)

Re: LED 'fluoro' tubes

Yeah and she ain't clapped out no more either. I'll get at least ten
years out of her now (assuming I don't put it on it's roof again...).
Anything that even looked like it might be getting tired was replaced,
and you don't need an electronics degree to fix the thing.

Site Timeline