LCD/VFD to fit 5.25" or 3.5" drive bay

Hi all

I'm after a basic LCD or VFD that fits into a 5.25" or 3.5" drive bay,
and (preferably) plugs into the RS232 serial header on the
motherboard.

I know I could just buy or build a serial-to-LCD circuit myself, but
it's the professional appearance that I'm after, and I'm not known for
my craftsmanship. :)

I've seen a Silverstone 16x2 VFD unit but unfortunately it uses the
printer port, which my motherboards do not have support for. There are
other fancy displays but they use USB and most likely need Windows
drivers or at the very least some protocol hacking - I just want to be
able to send standard HD44780 compatible commands straight out to the
serial port on a FreeBSD server...

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Re: LCD/VFD to fit 5.25" or 3.5" drive bay

How about this:
http://www.crystalfontz.com/products/index-ser.html
Choose the module you want, and the matching 5.25" mounting bracket.

Dave.

Re: LCD/VFD to fit 5.25" or 3.5" drive bay

Or even
http://www.matrixorbital.com /

dmm

Site Timeline