LCD TV - Extended Warranty - Is it worth it ?

I have just bought a Panasonic 81cm LCD TV (Model TX-32LXD700A). So far, I am very impressed with the picture quality, ease of setup, options for inputs etc.

I was suprised that it only has a 1 year warranty, as my Acer 19" LCD monitor came with 3 years .Obviously the monitor has a lot less in it to go wrong, but it appears that they have confidence in the display, and I would have thought that a monitor would be used for far more hours per day than a TV, especially one in an office environment.

Panasonic are offering an optional warranty of either an extra 24 or

48 months for $300 or $600 respectively. This seems rather steep to me as the price for the unit was $1498.

Normally I don't go for these warranty extensions but am I likely to regret this decision ?

Dave.

Reply to
Dave Goldfinch

That price is ridiculous. In two years time the same spec TV will not cost much more than $600 anyway. If it fails, you can simply buy another one.

Almost certainly not, good brand LCD TV's are very reliable. Spend the $600 on something enjoyable instead, or stick it into the home loan and get a real return on it.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

"Dave Goldfinch"

** Extended warrantees are like insurance policies - the folk offering them are taking a punt that they will not have to pay out. What this means in practice is not certain, the product may be very reliable OR the bastards simply never pay out on claims.

A good brand ( Panasonic qualifies) large screen, LCD TV should not fail in 2, 3 or 4 years - if it does you can use the small claims system to make the dealer fix it free.

The price being asked for a " no dispute " extended warranty seems quite excessive to me.

A 10 % premium for 2 additional years is more like it.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Yep, that would be more reasonable. Perhaps the companies are trying to cash in on the "fear" created by all the media beat-ups about the supposed unreliability of modern LCD and plasma sets. Seems like every 6 months there is some crap story on A Current Affair or whatever about how they are all failing. And they always have some "expert" on telling people they should take out extended warranties etc.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 09:49:41 GMT, Dave Goldfinch put finger to keyboard and composed:

LG and Samsung TVs come with 3 year warranties. When I was shopping for an 81cm set I didn't see any difference between Panasonic and the others.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Hi,

Any repair is at least $500. Decision is yours.

Rudolf

Reply to
Rudolf

I am service agents for a few brands and Palsonic seem to be quite good.

3 years warranty and picture is perfect.

Rudolf

Reply to
Rudolf

Thanks to all who responded.

I went with Panasonic because I have had good experiences with their gear in the past eg a microwave oven that lasted close to 25 years and a VCR that lasted well past obsolescence.

I was tempted by the LG model but in the end decided to go with the 'name' brand - hopefully it will work out.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Goldfinch

Extended warranties are very controversial. If the base warranty is one year, you have to consider that after the year is finished, if something in the set fails, you will have to pay for the servicing.

Most of the failures are a capacitor, or a semiconductor. In these sets the are not usually serviced at the component level. They change complete circuit boards. Repairs can be fairly expensive. If the panel itself, or one of the major circuit boards fail, then the repair can cost about the same as the replacement cost of the set.

The extended warranty is like an insurance policy, where the vendor of the warranty will take on the responsibility to service your set in the case if it fails within the agreed contract time frame. He is also counting on the fact that statistically a certain number of sets will come back for service during the time that he is responsible for the warranty service cost. The price of the warranty is calculated relation to the value of the set, and is determined by a number of factors to determine the probabilities if the set will come back, and the number of times it may fail.

Another important thing to find out, is if the extended warranty is pro-rated. This means that after the first year, you will pay a portion of the cost according to time that you have had the set. For example, during the first year of the extended warranty, you may not pay anything if the set fails. During the second year of the extended warranty, you may have to pay

30% of the repair cost. During the second year, you may have to pay 60% of the repair.

It is important that you understand all the terms of the warranty, and what their liability is with your set. You may have a type of failure that may not be covered.

Some years ago, I remember seeing some CRT sets that had an extended warranty option. They covered the CRT itself for only 2 years. The rest of the set was pro-rated for 3 years. They called it an extended warranty. Basically, during the last year the CRT was not covered. You can bet that after the second year, there were some CRT's that were failing! When the customers complained, they were shown a copy of the fine print on the back of the warranty plan.

For the flat panel TV sets, the prices have been dropping. I have no idea of how far they will go down. You have to use your own judgment with extended warranties. When buying a TV set, first find out if the model or similar models under the same manufacture have been proven to be reliable. It there is at least an 90% reliability factor that is in your favour, it may be worth gambling on having no extended warranty. You can put that cost difference for a good DVD player, or for the next TV set.

--

JANA
_____

"Dave Goldfinch"  wrote in message

[...]

The warranty sounds very high , usually around 10% of purchase is the figure but depending on who is making repairs the option of oem or substitutive parts raises it's head Your choice I guess , however there is the issue of reasonable expectation of life in relation to the warranty and just because the "warranty" is ended does not remove the obligation to supply a serviceable product with expectation of decent life , I had audio board problems with a 60" Lg well out of warranty repaired free due to previous known problems , again your choice . (and of course the new board was an upgrade and no further problems(but a recall would have cost a fortune )

Reply to
atec77