lcd projector lamps, home brew?

The lamp on my Sony LCD projector is over $500, and as far as I can
tell its a normal 250w metal halide lamp.
I was thinking of  opening the casing and  subbing a cheap lamp.
The lamp is a dichroic mirror & Xenon Arc type, SONY part PK-PJ500 but
on the
lamp is MSCR250 Y1H.

Anyone had experience subbing projector lamps?

http://www.cvsmedia.co.uk/shop/projector-lamps-23/genuine-original-projector-lamps-326/lamps-for-sony-projectors-51/lamp-for-sony-vpl-s500-vpl-v500-vpl-w400-lamp-code-pk-pj500-649.html

http://f03batchimg.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/users/5/1/8/0/stauctions2006-imgbatch_1198828487/600x450-2007122800001.jpg

Re: lcd projector lamps, home brew?

"tuppy"

** Cheap HID lamps ??

 Where do you get them ?

 Or were you thinking of going QI  ??

.....   Phil

Re: lcd projector lamps, home brew?
You find that those lamps can have a different colour temperature and thus
throw out the white balance of the picture.
Replaced once a lamp with the same part number but it had a different letter
at the end and that resulted in a yellow cast over the picture (did not look
good).

Will

http://www.cvsmedia.co.uk/shop/projector-lamps-23/genuine-original-projector-lamps-326/lamps-for-sony-projectors-51/lamp-for-sony-vpl-s500-vpl-v500-vpl-w400-lamp-code-pk-pj500-649.html
http://f03batchimg.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/users/5/1/8/0/stauctions2006-imgbatch_1198828487/600x450-2007122800001.jpg

Re: lcd projector lamps, home brew?
finger to keyboard and composed:

The following links confirm that your lamp is a 250W metal halide
type:

PK-PJ500
Replacement lamp for projector models VPL-S500E, VPL-V500QM and
VPL-W400QM, 250 Watt Metal Halide:
http://www.sony.sk/biz/view/ShowProduct.action?product=PK-PJ500&site=biz_en_SK&pageType=Manuals&imageType=Main&category=FPJLamps
http://preview.tinyurl.com/6emmzw

FWIW, here's the Operating Guide (136KB):
http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/3858065051.pdf

Some research suggests that MSCR lamp types were made by Iwasaki,
Pentax, and Sanyo. FWIW, I see several references to Sanyo MSCR250T1H
lamps. Maybe Sanyo made your lamp.

BTW, the full URL for the operating guide was ...

http://www.sony.sk/biz/support/ShowExternalPage.action?product=PK-PJ500&site=biz_en_SK&pageType=manualPopup&sectiontype=Support&externalUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fpdf.crse.com%2Fmanuals%2F3858065051.pdf&externalLinkType=manual
http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ml9g8

... but this leads to a registration page. The target URL is actually
embedded in the full URL and can be accessed directly by cutting and
pasting it into your browser. Maybe this trick can be applied to other
annoying web sites.

- Franc Zabkar