lcd projector lamps, home brew?

The lamp on my Sony LCD projector is over $500, and as far as I can tell its a normal 250w metal halide lamp. I was thinking of opening the casing and subbing a cheap lamp. The lamp is a dichroic mirror & Xenon Arc type, SONY part PK-PJ500 but on the lamp is MSCR250 Y1H.

Anyone had experience subbing projector lamps?

tuppy

"tuppy"

** Cheap HID lamps ??

Where do you get them ?

Or were you thinking of going QI ??

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

You find that those lamps can have a different colour temperature and thus throw out the white balance of the picture. Replaced once a lamp with the same part number but it had a different letter at the end and that resulted in a yellow cast over the picture (did not look good).

Will

Will Hoevenaars

On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 01:07:01 -0700 (PDT), tuppy put finger to keyboard and composed:

The following links confirm that your lamp is a 250W metal halide type:

PK-PJ500 Replacement lamp for projector models VPL-S500E, VPL-V500QM and VPL-W400QM, 250 Watt Metal Halide:

FWIW, here's the Operating Guide (136KB):

Some research suggests that MSCR lamp types were made by Iwasaki, Pentax, and Sanyo. FWIW, I see several references to Sanyo MSCR250T1H lamps. Maybe Sanyo made your lamp.

BTW, the full URL for the operating guide was ...

... but this leads to a registration page. The target URL is actually embedded in the full URL and can be accessed directly by cutting and pasting it into your browser. Maybe this trick can be applied to other annoying web sites.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar