LC Tank Circuts have me baffled

I am not smart enough to understand how the common ' tank circut ' works as used in LC oscillators. The current first flows through the cap then through the inductor because caps allow immediate current flow and inductors resist it I know, but I'm buggered if I'll ever understand how the transistor switching circut 'knows' when to kick it the other way.

Many of you will in aus.electronics will have designed hundreds of such circuts and understand precisly how they work. I admire you !

I hope the light bulb above my head starts attracting moths soon.

Dean.

Reply to
Dean

Keep that light on and sooner or later you'll attract Phil Allison's attention. :P Although I'm not sure if that's a good idea or not.

Do a Google search on "tank circuit" or "LC circuits" for more info. Better still go to your local library and borrow a good text book or two on the subject.

Cheers, Alan

Reply to
Alan Rutlidge

XC=XL the key is in the Z

Reply to
Ed ()

You have it the wrong way around.

A regulation LC tank circuit is tuned to resonate with the frequency of the drive transistor's switching.

The switching transistor is itself driven from another ("earlier") part of the circuit which sets the actual required frequency - the tank circuit has no influence on the transistor's switching frequency what so ever.

Craig

as

through

resist

Reply to
Craig Hart

you dont have this bit right a frequency multiplier stage works with the tank tuned to 147MHz and the drive at 49MHz the tank will store energy and ring at 147MHz, and gets topped up every

3 cycles

: You have it the wrong way around. : : A regulation LC tank circuit is tuned to resonate with the frequency of the : drive transistor's switching. :

Reply to
Ed ()

who said anything about frequency multiplication??

Tank circuits can be used for that purpose, but they have plenty of more common uses at fundamental too. The OP doesn't mention frequency multiplication in his question......

Where did you get 49MHz and 147MHz from, anyhow...? That's not the only frequency a multiplier can work at, after all...

Reply to
Craig Hart

who didn't say anything about frequency multiplication?? and its useful to consider real freqs, any freq will do.

the example disproves that switching has to be done at the tank freq.

why, you have somthing to add??

: > : You have it the wrong way around. : > : : > : A regulation LC tank circuit is tuned to resonate with the frequency : > of the : > : drive transistor's switching. : > : : >

: :

Reply to
Ed ()