Lat/Long co-ords

Mark,

Sending a blank SMS to 1715678 used to give you the Lat/Long co-ords of
the nearest mobile tower, although I've heard the service is
experimental and keeps changing.

Mitchell......

Re: Lat/Long co-ords

Could've sworn I said *precisely* that the other day! :->

http://groups.google.com.au/group/aus.electronics/tree/browse_frm/thread/fe8d1ccf26dccc69/d83c0c1dbdbb3191?rnum=1&hl=en&_done=%2Fgroup%2Faus.electronics%2Fbrowse_frm%2Fthread%2Ffe8d1ccf26dccc69%2F619217ae83ac2e72%3F#doc_be0e08b39480f47f

Dave :)

Re: Lat/Long co-ords

Dave wroteCould've sworn I said *precisely* that the other day! :->

But it doesn't work!
:-(
Fred

Re: Lat/Long co-ords

Are you with Telstra?

Dave :)

Re: Lat/Long co-ords

David L. Jones wrote
:

  No mate, does that make a difference?  I was fascinated by that lat/long no.
idea, and most disappointed that it didn't work...

Re: Lat/Long co-ords

Yes it does matter, as I mentioned in my original post linked above, it
is (was?) a Telstra service so only available to telstra mobile
customers.

A $100 GPS will get you a much more accurate Lat/Long than any such
mobile service will :->

Dave :)

Re: Lat/Long co-ords

no.

  Hi Dave.
Sorry!  I thought you meant did I work for Telstra, and the answer to that is no.
But yes I have a Telstra service but there's no result to the number.

Re: Lat/Long co-ords

no.
no.

  Sorry all!  Must have been sending a "blank" email that wasn't.  It works now
and
gives the lat/long (a bit wildly though - sill checking)

Re: Lat/Long co-ords

And, by the way, where can you get the $100 GPS you mentioned?

no.
no.

Re: Lat/Long co-ords

It does not currently work. I am with Telstra and get an SMS reply
saying that it is an experimental service and not accessible but if I
am in trouble I should ring 000.

Re: Lat/Long co-ords

012 is better than 000 on a mobile!

Dave :)

Re: Lat/Long co-ords

Doh!
Better make that 112!

Dave :)

Re: Lat/Long co-ords

As long as you aren't using a CDMA as the 112 doesn't always apply to CDMA
networks, only 000 (my CDMA phone doesn't recognise 112 and neither does the
network)..  Hmm, now you'd think they'd make just one 'standard', wouldn't
you? ;-)

Re: Lat/Long co-ords

I don't see why 112 is "better" than 000 since they both result in the
same destination unless you mean that it is better to train yourself
to use 112 because it is universal. In any case, I was quoting from
Telstra's SMS.

Re: Lat/Long co-ords

I believe, if you lose network coverage from your home provider, 000 wont
work .. however 112 will work if you are within range of ANY network
coverage ..

ie, if your with vodafone, and leave a vodafone coverage area, 000 won't
work, where 112 will work if you are within say telstras's coverage area..

[ VIDGuide.com ] [ Irdeto Card Sharing Resources & Other Sat TV Interests ]
[ http://www.VIDGuide.com ]

Re: Lat/Long co-ords

--------------030101010306020605090304

Not only that, 112 will work without a SIM card or even if the phone is
locked. In other words you could turn on a unconcious victims phone &
use it without knowing any PIN or other security number.
It is a world wide standard.

http://www.aapt.com.au/customercentre/emergency_serv.asp

Kevin Martin

--------------030101010306020605090304

begin:vcard
note:To Reply  Delete what is not required
version:2.1
end:vcard

--------------030101010306020605090304--

Re: Lat/Long co-ords

As others have said, 112 is better because it works with any network
coverage and if the phone is locked or doesn't have a SIM card.
Sure they end up with the same destination, but 112 may be able to get
you through when 000 won't. You could for instance waste precious
seconds trying 000 with marginal coverage.
They should certainly promote it more.

Dave :)

Re: Lat/Long co-ords

See also http://www.virtualmedonline.com/medsms/locatewithsms.htm

  Mark,

  Sending a blank SMS to 1715678 used to give you the Lat/Long co-ords =
of
  the nearest mobile tower, although I've heard the service is
  experimental and keeps changing.

  Mitchell......

Re: Lat/Long co-ords

  Note: In THE SIMPSONS , The stonecutters use 112!

Re: Lat/Long co-ords

   In the original version of the Simpsons in the US it was 912.

--
Link to my "Computers for disabled Veterans" project website deleted
after threats were telephoned to my church.