last nights robotics show on abc tv

Did anyone catch it? What a load of rubbish. The robot could not even
pick up a stone let alone play the game. Poor motor control to boot.
And this is offloaded as some sort of a technological breakthrough?

Re: last nights robotics show on abc tv

And the usual fusion/AI-style predictions. "5, 10 years from now we'll have
real robots!".
Like they said 40 years ago.

Re: last nights robotics show on abc tv

snipped-for-privacy@u36g2000prn.googlegroups.com...

I'm still waiting for the flying car. It is due to come first.

Re: last nights robotics show on abc tv

I could not work out if it was a trash doco or a classic example of a
puff piece for self/company/MIT gone badly wrong.

Basically, I think we were not given the specifications for "the robot".
What we saw was badly over engineered and very poorly designed for the
task at hand.

I also loved the continual robot references when they were clearly
talking about remote controlled machines.

Re: last nights robotics show on abc tv

DARPA again. Limitless funds for anything that the military sponsors think
will help them win wars. It looks like there's no effective quality audit on
the research, some of the stuff they had is the sort of thing I bash
together with used bits and pieces in my back shed.

I thought the Jap effort showed them up in a pretty poor light too.

Re: last nights robotics show on abc tv

-------------------------

Its also interesting the cultural differences presented *in this
program* too.

Based on the program content the US can only think of robots for use
in purposes of violence, espionage, death and evil, whereas Japan
thinks primarily of them from a point of view of age carers, helpers,
home assistants.

Re: last nights robotics show on abc tv

This sort of program is probably exciting and high tech and a promise
of the end to all of their life's problems
.............to the average non-technical person.
This effect would increase, the lower the IQ and common sense of the
person.

I don't think the thing was presented as a "technical" program, rather
more like examining  "ways to package robots in a way to make them
socially acceptable, saleable and profiable" .  Finding potential uses
for deep pocketed organisations.

Re: last nights robotics show on abc tv

even
boot.

I didn't see the documentary, but I heard an interview with the
aussie expat former head of MIT robotics and artificial intellligence
labs on radio national. He talked briefly about that research, which
was apparently focussed on the task of picking up irregularly shaped
objects. Nothing to do with "Go" other than it uses stones and is
fiddly to play without disturbing other pieces. The millitary funded
this work for some reason I can't remeber. This guy left MIT and
created the company that invented the "Roomba" automated vacuum.

rather
uses

In the interview he talked at some length about social acceptability
of robots and how it varies country to country. He talked about the
focus of south-east asian robotocists on creating "companion" robots
and how he believed they wouldn't be accepted in the US or Australia.

I've no idea who commissioned the doco but I sense it may have
centred around this particular person, apparently he's regularly
contributed to the ABC for robotics docos.

Terry

Re: last nights robotics show on abc tv

"Terry Dawson"

** The doco is Canadian:

http://www.cbc.ca/documentaries/natureofthings/2008/robotrevolution /

Rodney Brooks hails from South Australia and is a pure math grad and holds a
PhD in computer science.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodney_Brooks

The dude is a theoretician and the suggestion that he is an " engineer " is
an misconception.

I found the show less than inspiring.

....  Phil

Re: last nights robotics show on abc tv

On Sun, 27 Sep 2009 13:38:43 +1000, "Phil Allison"
and holds a
engineer " is

He certainly didn't lay claim to the title himself. I get the
impression it's always been a team effort, not surprisingly.

Disappointingly his accent is terribly corrupted by his years in the
US. Funnily enough the one word that seemed unaffected was "mate".

Sounds like I caught the more interesting of the two.

Terry

Site Timeline