Laserjet 1020 printer update.

  Thanks to everyone for your helpful suggestions.

   I wrote a letter to HP's Australian head office and told them the
whole story. Even though my printer's technically out of warranty,
they're going to swap it with a refurbished one at no charge, and are
sending the replacement out by courier.

   I reckon that's pretty good service. :-)

Bob

Re: Laserjet 1020 printer update.

I'd say....

Contrary to many experiences detailed in this forum, I've had pretty
good luck with HP's printer tech support here in the States.

Some of their products, OTOH....

The junk 3200M, that I mentioned in reply to your plea for parts, was
called upon just this week to sacrifice another of it's bits to revive
one of my two working units.  The BIOS had become corrupted (again).  I
get a Service Error 72 when this happens.  In fact, my initial contact
with Support was over this very issue.  They overnighted me two
replacement BIOS SIMMs for my $25 support call.

Now one of those has died.  The printer's working fine now, but....

jak

Re: Laserjet 1020 printer update.

Good to see a happy ending. This sort of result from a manufacturer makes it
worthwhile paying a few bob extra for their product.

Re: Laserjet 1020 printer update.

Nice work Bob!

Dave :)

Re: Laserjet 1020 printer update.

    Well the replacement printer turned up as planned and seems to work
perfectly, and I'm happy now. :)

Bob

Re: Laserjet 1020 printer update.

|   I wrote a letter to HP's Australian head office and told them the
| whole story. Even though my printer's technically out of warranty,
| they're going to swap it with a refurbished one at no charge, and are
| sending the replacement out by courier.
|
|   I reckon that's pretty good service. :-)

Great service often makes up for a severely inferior product. HP LaserJet /
Canon engine laser printers, b/w & colour are absolute junk, cheap rubbish
made to an absolute bottom dollar price, with laughable print quality to
prove it. Inconsistent dull grey blacks that get lighter and lighter as soon
as 50% of the toner cartridge life is reached, inconsistent colours,
mismatching colours, slow print controllers with no possibility of high
speed colour matching external controllers such as EFI Fierys. Toys, not
tools.

Re: Laserjet 1020 printer update.

    For sure, professional laser printers designed for high-volume
commercial use will leave a cheap little printer like the LJ1020 for
dead. But it's fine for the couple of pages per day I use it for, to
make invoices etc where print quality isn't critically important.
    I'm just impressed that HP were prepared to do the right thing, even
though it's no longer under warranty and I told them I've taken it apart
to see what the problem is. Lots of companies would say, "You must be
joking, go away."

Re: Laserjet 1020 printer update.

I have a 6MP that has not missed a beat in the 11-12 years I have had it. It
has printed faultlessly in the humidity of northern Qld where other laser
printers have fallen down, and other than needing toner from time to time
has not demonstrated any reduction in print quality until the toner is as
good as empty. Handles paper well and print quality is excellent, what more
can I say?

If you want to ridicule the product please don't generalise. Specify the
model you had your experience with. Did someone specify a product that
wasn't meant for the activity it was put to? Did you buy a cheap colour
laser printer expecting it to manage a 60,000 page/month duty cycle?

Re: Laserjet 1020 printer update.

Well said!

Friday

Re: Laserjet 1020 printer update.

APR spake thus:

My 2100 MP has also performed nearly flawlessly for me, and I don't see
any of the "inconsistent dull grey blacks" someone up above complained
about. In fact, I've had it about 6 years now and am still waiting to
replace the toner cartridge (I have a brand-new one bought with the
printer sitting here). Getting the extra-cost PostScript version was
well worth it.

The one thing I do fault HP printers for is their piss-poor paper
feeding. All of the Laserjets that I've used over the years will usually
refuse to print on the back of printed sheets; the page will most likely
end up crumpled and wrinkled inside the printer, requiring you to open
it up and extricate it. As opposed to the monster Panasonic laser
printer my company used to have: while it was nothing special in the
printing department, that printer would feed absolutely any paper stock
you put in it without fail, including badly-curled sheets. The HPs are
so finicky that if the paper has the slightest curl, it simply won't feed.

And HP did have very good customer service: when I bought my printer in
2000, the one they sent was misassembled and had an inoperative paper
eject roller; when I called them, they immediately issued a RMA and sent
a replacement which arrived before I was able to send mine back.

--
Save the Planet
Kill Yourself

Re: Laserjet 1020 printer update.

    The company where I'm working has a Laserjet 6P which gets a
thrashing. Many times when I walk past, it's printing a pile of
documents for one of the 20 people working there. As far as I know, all
it ever gets is more paper and toner. I've never had any problem with
print quality when I've printed out data sheets etc. That was one of the
main reasons I went for a small HP laser printer for myself, to get away
from the expense, slowness and poor reliability of inkjets.

Bob

Site Timeline