Large Australian Companies to sell direct from China to avoid GST.

Bernie Brookes, Myer:
If we can't beat them we will join them, Mr Brookes warned. We just want a level
playing field. We will take jobs
offshore and we will ship product out of China through our internet site, it's a
bloody shame.

Woolworths and Bunnings could follow Myer's plan to operate a website from China
that takes orders from Australian
consumers as the sector grows increasingly angry over the leakage of sales to
online stores.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/myer-floats-taxfree-website-20101203-18jt6.html

================================

I knew this would be their (large Retailers) next move.
The fed govt will have a look it, and completely stuff it up in their usual
fashion.

Perhaps I should take bets on how badly they can stuff it up.

Cheers Don...

=======================

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Large Australian Companies to sell direct from China to avoid GST.

The Govt has already stated it has no intention of changing and and
sees no need to change the current $1K limit.

It's about time these big players realized the world isn't going to
move just for them to rip off the community.

Can't believe it took them this long to catch on to o/seas marketing.
After all, if they can avoid tax these big companys will do whatever it
takes in any other situation.

Bunch of hypocrites.
--

Re: Large Australian Companies to sell direct from China to avoid GST.
I can see Myers selling some stuff that way but Woolies and Bunnings? I

Buying small high value items from overseas makes sense, but with
anything if any size, the shipping quickly becomes prohibitive, eg I
searched on the web for a 24" monitor, up popped one from Amazon at a
reasonable but not spectacular price, but the shipping as more than the
item concerned and more than I could buy the item here in Oz.

Re: Large Australian Companies to sell direct from China to avoidGST.

Yeah Gerry Norman was winging about lost plazma TV sales primarily, but
I can't see it happening.

Maybe they are trying to get the govt to stop MSY buying overseas and
reselling GST free in some way.

Do MSY put on GST?   can't recall.

Anyway the Hardly Normal winge seemed a bit odd.

--

Re: Large Australian Companies to sell direct from China to avoid GST.

product out of China through our internet

They're talking about BigW, not the grocery items.

Bunnings flogs a hell of a lot more than just timber, much of it shipable.

reasonable but not spectacular price, but the
here in Oz.

Yeah, even with smaller stuff like bathroom scales.

Once it gets past the lowest weight class in the US, even USPS shipping at cost
can be the main killer.

Re: Large Australian Companies to sell direct from China to avoid GST.
reasonable but not spectacular price, but the
here in Oz.
cost can be the main killer.

See this

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/EPSON-T5966-Light-Magenta-7900-9900-Ink-350-ml-NEW-/160512745980
    -----  $139 incl freight.

best australian price is $204 if you buy a whole set, plus freight

and this

http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/Genuine-Epson-Stylus-Pro-7900-9900-WT7900-Ink-700ml-New-/180582204077
  ------  $260 including freight.

Aust  - $352 plus freight.

Epson and the retailers have not passed on anything of the exchange rate.

Re: Large Australian Companies to sell direct from China to avoid GST.

item concerned and more than I could buy

cost can be the main killer.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/EPSON-T5966-Light-Magenta-7900-9900-Ink-350-ml-NEW-/160512745980

http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/Genuine-Epson-Stylus-Pro-7900-9900-WT7900-Ink-700ml-New-/180582204077

I had the word CAN in mine for a reason.

I have saved heaps on quite a bit of stuff, particularly Targus universal
chargers etc.

But dont save anything worth bothering with with Samsung 2TB drives.

Re: Large Australian Companies to sell direct from China to avoid GST.
item concerned and more than I could buy
cost can be the main killer.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/EPSON-T5966-Light-Magenta-7900-9900-Ink-350-ml-NEW-/160512745980
http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/Genuine-Epson-Stylus-Pro-7900-9900-WT7900-Ink-700ml-New-/180582204077
chargers etc.
  Actually more expensive OS.

Re: Large Australian Companies to sell direct from China to avoid GST.

Buy it now on us ebay has recently shown 80 usd + 25 usd shipping.
Maybe 10 usd off if you win a bid.

Ebay australia shows 124 aud incl shipping.
The cheapest I've seen in Aus is 95 aud + unspecified shipping.

--
Ever seen film of the Polar bear bashing through the ice to get seal
cubs?  Less ice more food for the Polar Bear

Most charge $20 for shipping.

Netplus is $108 with OCAU free shipping.

Re: Large Australian Companies to sell direct from China to avoid GST.

Buy it now on us ebay has recently shown 80 usd + 25 usd shipping.
[I see today there is one guy 79.99 usd and wants to 3-day ship for 45 usd;
but you could probably beat him down to a standard UPS 2 lb box at 25 usd].
Maybe 10 usd off if you win a bid.

Ebay australia shows 124 aud incl shipping.
The cheapest I've seen in Aus is 95 aud + unspecified shipping.

--
Ever seen film of the Polar bear bashing through the ice to get seal
cubs?  Less ice more food for the Polar Bear
Re: Large Australian Companies to sell direct from China to avoid GST.

I can get the 1.5 at $69 over the counter  and have no problem with
warranty through Samsung Australia. I'm not really into large drives too
much data to sort if things go wrong.  The sweet spot in Aust is the
1.5Tb price wise.

Re: Large Australian Companies to sell direct from China to avoid GST.

Actually more expensive OS.

Most cant.

Its very arguable that warranty matters much at those prices.

Theres no important difference between 1.5TB and 2TB on that.

Not anymore.

Re: Large Australian Companies to sell direct from China to avoid GST.

searched on the web for a 24" monitor, up

cost can be the main killer.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/EPSON-T5966-Light-Magenta-7900-9900-Ink-350-ml-NEW-/160512745980

http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/Genuine-Epson-Stylus-Pro-7900-9900-WT7900-Ink-700ml-New-/180582204077

chargers etc.

Yeah, surprisingly enough.

Thats brand specific tho, it isnt true of all 2TB drives.

Re: Large Australian Companies to sell direct from China to avoid GST.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/EPSON-T5966-Light-Magenta-7900-9900-Ink-350-ml-NEW-/1
60512745980
http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/Genuine-Epson-Stylus-Pro-7900-9900-WT7900-Ink-700ml-N
ew-/180582204077

Last time I bought some ink cartridges on-line they looked genuine but
stuffed up the printer head. The Memory card I bought on line looked genuine
but was FAR slower than stated. Unfortunately you have to buy from VERY
reputable dealers, or the price is irrelevant.

That is unfortunately true for nearly all the Australian distributors. Only
the shops that import direct seem to be good at passing on any savings.

MrT.

Re: Large Australian Companies to sell direct from China to avoid GST.
With Epson, you can buy genuine epson catridges out of taiwan.
Had no problems with them.   Agree on the "generic" brands though
Unless things have changed a lot in recent years, I wouldnt use them.

Re: Large Australian Companies to sell direct from China to avoid GST.

With Epson, you can buy genuine epson catridges out of taiwan.
Had no problems with them.   Agree on the "generic" brands though
Unless things have changed a lot in recent years, I wouldnt use them.

I'm NOT talking about the generic brands, I'm talking about the branded
fakes that are indistinguishable from genuine, complete with holgrams and
all.

MrT.

Re: Large Australian Companies to sell direct from China to avoid GST.

That is a different story then.

I got them from "promisecolor" on ebay if that is any help

Re: Large Australian Companies to sell direct from China to avoid GST.
On Mon, 6 Dec 2010 13:27:50 +1100, "Rod Speed"

Woolworths Grocery are on line at around a 30% increase in prices,
which I fail to see justifiable (except for internal corruption.
Google "woolworths coffee tea")
--
Petzl
Battle Hymn of the Republic

Yes, but NONE of that comes direct from HK to you, stupid.

Taint corruption, fool.

No thanks.

Site Timeline