laptop surges mains

All of a sudden, now when I plug in my laptop at my house, the surge
protector is triggered which causes most power points in the house to lose
power.

What could be the cause of this?   Is it possibly due to having left the
power cord of the laptop in a hot car?

Re: laptop surges mains
does it occur when you plug just the psu and not the computer in ?

--

Re: laptop surges mains

Sounds more likely to be an earth leakage trip.

Sylvia.

Re: laptop surges mains

But it's only started happening now.  The hot car is the only thing I can
think of.

Re: laptop surges mains

did any of the power supply or lead or computer get wet?

Re: laptop surges mains

Nope

Re: laptop surges mains

Bob Milutinovic
Cognicom

Re: laptop surges mains

1. It's a Core Balance Relay or "Earth Leakage Detector" which is tripping -
not a surge protector.

2. Sylvia is correct in her suggestion; there's a definite path between
Active and Earth in your cable or device, which is tripping the CBR.

3. Plug the power cord in _without_ the power supply attached. If the CBR
trips again, it's your power cord; if it doesn't, it's your power supply.

4. Replacement cloverleaf power cables are $8 at Jaycar. Replacement
aftermarket power supplies are $10-$20 including postage through eBay.
Replacement "genuine" power supplies are around $60 from the manufacturer,
$100 from Dick Smith or $180 from Harvey Norman.

--
Bob Milutinovic
Cognicom

Re: laptop surges mains

The next day now everything is fine.  What does that indicate?  Some water
has dried up, or something yesterday was using a lot of power in the house
such as the air con?

Re: laptop surges mains

That its an intermittent fault.

Unlikely if you are accurate in you claim that it never got wet.

Much more likely its just an intermittent fault.

Time will tell.

Re: laptop surges mains

Apart from what other causes have been mentioned, that could also be the
case. When you plugged in the laptop it caused the current in the power
circuit to exceed 10amps, due to other appliances in use, causing the
circuit breaker to trip

--
rgds,

Pete
Re: laptop surges mains

That's 2400Watts, so not very likely..

Re: laptop surges mains

He mentioned aircon running, so it's possible. Used to happen here with
the heater going, and then turning on the jug or microwave, until I got
the another feed for one of the powerpoints.

--
rgds,

Pete
Re: laptop surges mains

Nope, because they wont be on the same circuit.

Those last two are a lot higher current devices than a laptop charger
and there are fuck all aircons that are legally on the same circuit as
GPOs anyway.

Nothing like his situation.

Re: laptop surges mains

Shit, we agree on something ;-)

Re: laptop surges mains

VERY unlikely.

VERY unlikely that they are both on the same circuit and the breaker
wont be a 10A breaker either, and it wont trip immediately with a
current that?s just a little over its rated trip current anyway.

Re: laptop surges mains

Yes it will if the aircon is on the power circuit

rgds,

Pete
Re: laptop surges mains

Nope, because the charger takes fuck all more power.

You get more variation with the compressor coming on and off.

Re: laptop surges mains

I was talking about the circuit breaker, stupid. (to use your
terminology)  It *will* be a 10amp breaker if the aircon is on a normal
domestic power circuit

Re: laptop surges mains

So was I, cretin.

Wrong, as always. Normal domestic power circuits have 15A breakers, you pig
ignorant clown.

Site Timeline