laptop overheating

I am using a laptop overseas.  Because the cord in my original power adaptor
broke, I had to purchase a new power adaptor which the overseas shop said
was suitable for my laptop.

When the laptop is doing intense graphics such as video streaming or HDMI
output, the laptop will sometimes turn itself off after about 30 mins.

I assume this is due to over-heating.

What is the likely cause of this?

Could it be the new power adaptor, or is it dust in the air vents?

Re: laptop overheating

What is the condition of the battery when that happens??!! Is it 100%
charged or close to 0%?

Since you weren't complaining about this fault before the introduction of
the new power adapter, it's likely the cause.
Either it doesn't charge the battery fast enough or it gives wrong voltage
to the laptop/battery.

Re: laptop overheating

The battery is in a poor state.  Win 7 gives a warning message about how it
needs replacement.

I thought if plugged in the laptop would get power directly from the power
adaptor.

Re: laptop overheating

Yep, and the poor old (new) adaptor is trying to charge the rooted battery
at the same time.

geoff

Re: laptop overheating

Since the power adapter has only recently put in, I suspect it is the power
adapter, however, I would open it up and check the air vents. Also for the
time being, I would charge it and use it on its battery, which is what I
suggest you do anyway. Furthermore, consider getting a laptop stand with
either a Cooler Pad or a fan.

Re: laptop overheating

Will a laptop work when plugged in but without a battery inserted?

Re: laptop overheating

That entirely depends on the laptop; most will, but some won't - only one
way to find out!

Based on your other post in this thread though, it sounds as if your new
power supply isn't putting out enough current to power the laptop - it might
be perfectly suitable to charge the battery (albeit at a slower rate than
the original charger), but not enough to power the laptop through lengthy
heavy processing.

It's easy enough to find out though... What are the power (voltage and
current output) ratings of your original charger, and what are the ratings
of your new one?

--
Bob Milutinovic
Cognicom

Re: laptop overheating

I took out the battery and the laptop did the same thing - powered off after
about 30 mins of video streaming.  What does that indicate?

Re: laptop overheating

It indicates that either your laptop's overheating (usually due to dust
build-up in the cooling vents), or your power supply's overheating (caused
by being under-powered).

Did you have a chance to compare the output ratings of the two power
supplies?

--
Bob Milutinovic
Cognicom

Re: laptop overheating
I can only reiterate testing the existing psu under load , one can't
trust the ratings claims and I suggest it's going into current limit or
low on voltage

Re: laptop overheating

overheating would be my guess..

--
?? 100% natural

Re: laptop overheating

that's fairly strong evidence it's something other than the powersupply brick.
How long will it stream video for on battery power only? after resting it is
has the battery still got some charge? (how much?)

--
?? 100% natural

Re: laptop overheating

Nope, says nothing useful about that.

Nothing like long enough to prove anything at all because the battery is
fucked.

Fuck all, I bet.

Re: laptop overheating

Most likely its just the new power supply shutting down because
it can't supply the power the laptop needs in that situation.

The new power supply can't supply the power the laptop needs.

Compare the power rating on the broken one and the new one.

Even if the new one does claim to be able to provide as many
watts as the old one, likely it can't. Take it back and demand
a refund if you can get there conveniently again. If you can't
just buy another one. Get a genuine one off ebay or a decent
Targus etc. Depending on where you are overseas, watch out
for fakes.

Most laptops will, but there is no point in doing that in your situation.

Re: laptop overheating

Dust in the vents, CAREFULLY use a vacumm cleaner (which are capable
of sucking the keys off keyboard)
Read the other advice as well. Seems your problem started with new
charger and your battery is near dead as well.
--
Petzl
I started with nothing and I am proud to say I still have most of it left

Re: laptop overheating

Doesn't explain why its only happening with the new power pack.

Its much more likely its underpowered and is shutting down in the higher
load.

Re: laptop overheating
Check the power pack under-load , I expect it's low on voltage

--

Re: laptop overheating

Pete, you haven't responded to the many requests for a comparison of the old verses the new power adapter specs.

That is what you really need to do.

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie