laptop CD drive

The CD drive on my laptop only seems to work when the laptop is held upside
down.

What does this indicate?

Re: laptop CD drive

either a mechanical failure in the focus mechanism or a more mundane
broken electrical circuit that is mitigated by "reverse gravity".

--
Neither the pheasant plucker, nor the pheasant plucker's son.

Re: laptop CD drive

How can I work out if it is the CD Drive that has the broken circuit?

Re: laptop CD drive

There isnt any easy way, replacing the drive is the main way.

Re: laptop CD drive

You unplugged it and slid it back in (clean terminals)?
Otherwise new laptop or drive
--
Petzl
I started with nothing and I am proud to say I still have most of it left

Re: laptop CD drive

if the disc can loaded or ejected (tray closed or opened) under software
control with the computer right-side tp the fault is in the drive,

I can't think of any other easy tests.

--
Neither the pheasant plucker, nor the pheasant plucker's son.

Re: laptop CD drive

Not necessarily. The fault could be where the data
from the drive goes outside the drive, so it never
arrives unless the laptop is upside down.

It isn't a definitive test of where the fault is.

Re: laptop CD drive

Yes, necessarily,  the software eject/close  command follows the same
path that thhe data uses, if that works electronics outside of the
drive are working. I am making the assumption that the drive is
connected to the mainboard with a SCSI,ATA, or SATA connection,
but I think that's a fairly safe assumption.

yeah, only of where it isn't

--
Neither the pheasant plucker, nor the pheasant plucker's son.

Re: laptop CD drive

Nope.

Nope, most obviously with data moving from the drive.

Wrong with the data moving from the drive.

Still wrong with those and it won't be SCSI.

That one is. Your original isnt.

Wrong.

Re: laptop CD drive

yep.

which wire can you cut and still have the drive still be
detected, and  physically respond to commands but not
return data?

no, right because that's proof that data has been returned
from the drive.

ATA's fairly unlikely too,

If the drive can be opened it has been detected therfore the controller
is communicating with the mainboard in both directions,

--
Neither the pheasant plucker, nor the pheasant plucker's son.

Re: laptop CD drive

Every Laptop I've had allows one to slide the drive out held in by a
"latch switch."
Can you try it on another Laptop?
--
Petzl
I started with nothing and I am proud to say I still have most of it left

Re: laptop CD drive

Nope.

Plenty with the ata interface.

It doesn?t have to be returned from the
drive to open and close the tray.

Depends on how old it is.

Irrelevant to what happens with data when the disk is read.

Re: laptop CD drive

HP Core2 Duo lappie drive shows up as USB

Re: laptop CD drive

"Gary"

  ** You need to go to the Antipodes.

...   Phil

Re: laptop CD drive

That the cable isnt on properly or you need a new drive.

Re: laptop CD drive

The CD is wrong side up.

--
<Insert evil laughter here.>

Re: laptop CD drive

Maybe the mechanism that focuses lenes has stopped working & when its upside
down the lense/laser drops closer to CD to read data?

Re: laptop CD drive

Its a grey import intended for northern hemisphere use only

Re: laptop CD drive

Designed in the northern hemisphere???