Lamp PowerSupplies Blowing

Hi guys.

I purchased 2 similar lamps from Ikea a couple years ago. I used them for about a year then put them in storage for about a year.

The other day I took 1 out & the globe wasn't working. I got a new globe & it was working. After about 5 minutes the globe dimmed over a second or 2. I switched power supplies & the lamp was working again but 5 minutes later the same thing happened again.

When I removed the globe I noticed a tiny instruction inside the lamp: "Max 12V 20W". The globe I was using is 12V 50W! I've tried the correct globe in the lamp now but it won't even switch on.

Have I ruined both the power supplies? They are marked as 12V 1580mA.

Thanx 4 looking.

Reply to
ghostgunna

Yep, unless they are self protecting types (e.g.switchmode with some in-built overload protection) I'm afraid your 240V - 12V transformer has probably gone into meltdown. :-( A 12 V 50W dichroic lamp will draw more than 4A when hot, Gawd only knows how much more at switch on when the filament is cold. Ikea stuff is cheap enough. Throw it out and buy another one. This time read the label before changing the bulb. :-)

Cheers, Alan

Reply to
Alan Rutlidge

Thanx 4 your help Alan.

Do you think the lamps are still in good working order? Should I look to keep them & replace just the power supplies or buy whole new lamps?

Thanx aga> > Hi guys.

Reply to
ghostgunna

It depends on the cost of replacing the lamps' power supplies vs replacing the whole thing.

Q. Do Ikea still stock this particular lamp? Within recent times they seemed to have gone away from extra low voltage types. These are the only obvious ELV types I could find.

Alan Rutlidge

Thanx Alan.

I was worried that the lamp itself had been fried but it sounds like U think they will still work.

Those aren't the lamps I have. It's probably not cost effective to just purchase powersupplies anyway. But I'll keep it in mind.

Thanx aga> > Thanx 4 your help Alan.

ghostgunna

I think you can get them on their own at Ikea for about $10

Lohn J. Deister

ghostgunna