LabTool-48 programmer software

Does anyone happen to have version 4.67 of the driver software for the genuine Advantech LabTool-48 programmer ( NOT the 48UX/48UXP, NOT the Dataman or any other Chinese clone)? They (AEC) took it off their website download page as the device is "obsolete" ....

TIA

Reply to
who where

Have you tried the WayBackMachine ? They may have archived the site.

Cheers, Gary B-)

Reply to
Gary R. Schmidt

Good thought - and one I hadn't explored. Unfortunately there is a huge gap between Feb 98 and May 2006.

I currently have v3.60. Feb 98 has "new" v2.60. By 2006 they had obsoleted/replaced the machine and removed the 4.67 s/w from their website to limit damage by counterfeiters.

Reply to
who where

Perhaps you can request a copy of the software from their Victoria office as a "replacement part"

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

Apparently all "authorised outlets" removed it when AEC did. AEC themselves declined to provide it in response to my valid request - they did offer lifetime free updates as part of the product marketing.

Anyway, a bit of googling didn't find it, but a LOT of determined googling did, so AEC can go get up themselves for their support attitude.

Reply to
who where

I've always been wary of "lifetime" support. The word lifetime can mean anything at all, and gives them an 'out' when they choose to quit supporting a product.

That said, I've found the only ones who are "anal" about no longer supporting a particular product almost always have a modern product it directly competes with.

I worked for a company that had a product with a front panel UI that controlled all the bells and whistles, and another significantly cheaper box (by several $K, about a third cost of the first) that could do that and much more with a $60 RS232 interface box, and the protocols we would give for free (but with a non disclosure agreement) if asked nicely.

The interface and protocols were not only not advertised, they were only ever implemented for special jobs where the customer needed it.

Any way to make a buck.

--
Experience: a name everyone gives to his mistakes.
Reply to