Labor wins broadband election

Sep 7, 2010 3:38 PM

Independents back Gillard minority Government.

Independent MPs Rob Oakeshott and Tony Windsor have backed Labor to govern
Australia, with both saying the national
broadband network was critical to their decisions.

The nation stopped for the announcement, which was broadcast live nationally at
3pm AEST.

Windsor said there was an "enormous opportunity for regional Australians to
engage with infrastructure of this century".

"To pass up that opportunity and miss the opportunity for a million people of
country Australia ... I thought [it] was
too good an opportunity to miss," Windsor said.

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/231321,labor-wins-broadband-election.aspx

Cheers Don...

========================

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Labor wins broadband election

I don't think Windsor has enough brains to understand what
he has actually voted for. For a farmer or someone in a
small community that doesn't have broadband at all, NBN will
do absolutely nothing.

For someone in many small communities that only have ADSL1,
NBN will do absolutely nothing.

NBN will only provide ultra-fast broadband to people who
live in major centres, not the rural people that Windsor
claims to support. And it will do so at a cost of $5000 per
household (paid indirectly through tax), whether they want
it or not.

But the thing is, those who want/need those sort of speeds
now, and who live in larger communities can get those speeds
now, through either multiple-line ADSL2, or through fibre.
They have to pay for the privilege of course. But why should
the many people who don't even have dial-up internet,
because they don't want any internet, pay through the nose,
so the handful of people who do want ultra-fast broadband
can have it?

Furthermore, when copper lines are removed, how will it
benefit the population when they no longer have a simple and
reliable POTS? For a great many of the elderly (and probably
a large portion of the rest of the community too), they
don't give a rats arse about ultra-fast broadband, they just
want a telephone that is cheap and reliable. NBN will take
that away from them.

Like everything else the ALP does, it is poorly thought
through, and sold with lies.
--
What is the difference between a duck?

Re: Labor wins broadband election

In some regards you have a point here and there.

If we go back to what the NBN was really meant to be - can we remember that?

I recall that the whole thing about the NBN was to achieve a single
hardware 'truck' provider like the old STC was [before they made Telecom
with it.
The idea of Telstra giving up it's cables, trenches, conduits etc is to
have a single carrier period.
After which all retail bods rent the 'landlines' and so away we go.

Or am I missing something?

Re: Labor wins broadband election

Yep, it was the dud's attempt to bullshit his way out of his
predicament when his 007 election promise of putting the FTTN
out to competitive tended produced NOT ONE viable tenderer.

'truck' provider like the old STC was

Wrong. And there was no STC either, there was the PMG before Telecom.

single carrier period.

That was never part of the NBN initially.

Yep, you dont have a clue about how the NBN actually got started.

Re: Labor wins broadband election

'truck' provider like the old STC was
a single carrier period.

well I meant the OTC
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overseas_Telecommunications_Commission

it got merged with Telecom
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telstra

interesting bit here:
http://www.caslon.com.au/austelecomsprofile1.htm

what I was trying to say was that the joining of OTC with the 'telecom'
of the day, was the big mistake made by Labor

the OTC could have become the NBN of the time.

Re: Labor wins broadband election

Australia, with both saying the

of country Australia ... I thought [it]

absolutely nothing.

with lies.

'truck' provider like the old STC was

OK, but Telecom was never 'made with it'

Yes, and was always a tiny part of the total.

Nope. Nothing there is any news to anyone who knows anything about it.

It was the only viable way to go.

Like hell it could. It never ever had anything to do with telecoms within the
country.

Re: Labor wins broadband election

So list the data quota available for under $40?
Hint double digit GIGABYTEs, not megabytes start to be acceptable.

Re: Labor wins broadband election

As was said in Yes Minister, "The smell of Ministerial leather is powerfull
aphrodisiac."

Re: Labor wins broadband election

voted for.

all,

very large download limit plans that you

aphrodisiac."

Windsor was never even offered that.

Re: Labor wins broadband election

voted for.

He appears to be mostly driven by a much better prospect of the NBN with
Labor given that the coalition said very unambiguously that they would kill it,
and decided that the coalition would have another election as soon as the polls
looked promising and he would have to find the money for his own election
campaign.

Katter was too stupid to even consider that sort of thing.

all,

Thats nothing like your previous lie about 'that doesn't have broadband at all'

You can get a hell of a lot more than just MBs for $40.

Site Timeline