Kit - better late than never

I just got an email from someone who said they just got around to
completing one of my original DSOA kits from EA, circa 1993 vintage,
having been sitting around "99% complete" for all that time.

Can anyone beat that "better late than never" project?

Dave.

Re: Kit - better late than never

**I have a mint Dynaco PAS3 preamp (valve) ready to build. Since there's a
large bunch of nutters who think this thing sounds good, it's value has been
appreciating every day. I'm pretty certain I have a Dynaco valve THD/IMD
meter kit somewhere too.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Kit - better late than never

I bought a Talking Electronics mag with a free PCB. The PCB was the FM
bug, Ant or similar. Don't remember when it came out, maybe even 80s...
Anyway, I have collected all parts except for 1 or 2 caps, wound the
coil, populated the PCB with the parts ready for soldering and left it
in this state planning to buy the caps soon and solder the thing
together. It still must be in this state somewhere in one of my junk
boxes, I remember running into it from time to time over the years. It's
a bit hard to find as I've recently sold my house and live at temporary
accommodation  with junk packed away and stored.

Anyone remembers when those mags came out? There were 2 or 3 in the
series on FM bugging and prevention as far as I remember. I know I've
lost the original mag because at one stage I was keen to finish my bug
but couldn't find the schematics and didn't know what parts are missing...

Tom

Re: Kit - better late than never

I've got the full range of TE bugging books + some others.
Not at home at the moment so can't check if there is any date, but it
would have been late 80's to early 90's from memory.
http://www.talkingelectronics.com/AllKitsWithPics/Books.html

Dave.

Re: Kit - better late than never

When I find my kit I might ask if you caan find it in one of the books, at the
moment can't remember how it was called....

Tom

Re: Kit - better late than never

A related question that it would also be interesting to find out about....
what would be the first electronic kit released for sale in Oz? Presumably
worldwide you'd be looking at Hallicrafters stuff going *way* back.

Re: Kit - better late than never

:
:>I just got an email from someone who said they just got around to
:> completing one of my original DSOA kits from EA, circa 1993 vintage,
:> having been sitting around "99% complete" for all that time.
:>
:> Can anyone beat that "better late than never" project?
:>
:A related question that it would also be interesting to find out about....
:what would be the first electronic kit released for sale in Oz? Presumably
:worldwide you'd be looking at Hallicrafters stuff going *way* back.
:

It depends on what you call a "kit", ie. it could be full or partial.

I think you may have been able to buy partial kits for some Radio & Hobbies
projects from around the mid 50's onwards.

Perhaps somebody who has copies of R&H from that era can check to see when kits
started to appear.

Re: Kit - better late than never

Hobbies
kits

There were plenty of non-magazine, full kits available at that time and
before. My memory of "kits" were U.S. things like "Heathkit", at a time when
you had to run around with a tray selecting individual components from the
local magazine project parts list. I don't remember anyone assembling local
kits at the time, and metal work was something you had to do for yourself.
May have been different in other states though, but I doubt it.

MrT.

Site Timeline