KenWood mix master - missing component

I am repairing a KenWood mix master which does not run at all. The machine has a Triac is series with the motor (TXAL228B). If I short the Triac, the motor will run.

Connected to the centre lead of the Triac is what I think was a resistor, however all that is left of it are two wires, the component is missing.

A 0.047uF cap is connected from the left terminal of the Triac to the resistor. The cap is a little cracked and measures 0.08uF.

Can anyone please help me identify this component?

Thanking you, Russell.

Reply to
Griff

Model?? It should be on/under the base.

Colin

Reply to
Colin Horsley

"Griff"

** The cracked cap is the culprit and of course needs replacing - use a mains suppression cap ( class X1 or X2) rated at 250 volts AC.

The missing resistor is likely a 100 ohm 1/2watt composition type.

You can use a 1 watt wire wound or 2 watt metal film type.

Bet your triac is not working too.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 21:54:44 -0800 (PST), Griff put finger to keyboard and composed:

I have never seen a capacitor fail with a capacitance in excess of its rated value. The only failure mechanism I can think of that would produce this symptom is if the plates were pushed closer together. But then the dielectric would be squeezed out.

The RC combination is a snubber to prevent dv/dt triggering:

The article suggests that 100 ohms is a typical value.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Sorry about not mentioning the model. It is a Kenwood A703C.

Yes, I was very surprised to find the value of the capacitor had increased. I did have it disconnected from the rest of the motor control circuit when I measured it.

Thanks for the replies. Russell.

Reply to
Griff

For Kenwood A703C Triac = TAG12 225 600 Cap = 0.047uF 600V Resistor 56 OHM

Colin

Reply to
Colin Horsley

Thanks for the info. Colin. Can you please tell me the wattage of the resistor?

Thanks, Russell.

Reply to
Griff

0.5W