KenWood mix master - missing component

I am repairing a KenWood mix master which does not run at all.
The machine has a Triac is series with the motor (TXAL228B).
If I short the Triac, the motor will run.

Connected to the centre lead of the Triac is what I think was a
resistor, however all that is left of it are two wires, the component
is missing.

A 0.047uF cap is connected from the left terminal of the Triac to the
resistor. The cap is a little cracked and measures 0.08uF.

Can anyone please help me identify this component?

Thanking you,
Russell.

Re: KenWood mix master - missing component

Model??  It should be on/under the base.

Colin

Re: KenWood mix master - missing component

"Griff"

** The cracked cap is the culprit and of course needs replacing -  use a
mains suppression cap ( class X1 or X2) rated at 250 volts AC.

The missing resistor is likely a 100 ohm 1/2watt composition type.

You can use a 1 watt wire wound or 2 watt metal film type.

Bet your triac is not working too.

.....   Phil

Re: KenWood mix master - missing component
On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 21:54:44 -0800 (PST), Griff

I have never seen a capacitor fail with a capacitance in excess of its
rated value. The only failure mechanism I can think of that would
produce this symptom is if the plates were pushed closer together. But
then the dielectric would be squeezed out.

The RC combination is a snubber to prevent dv/dt triggering:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snubber#RC_snubbers

The article suggests that 100 ohms is a typical value.

- Franc Zabkar

Re: KenWood mix master - missing component
Sorry about not mentioning the model.
It is a Kenwood A703C.

Yes, I was very surprised to find the value of the capacitor had
increased.
I did have it disconnected from the rest of the motor control circuit
when I measured it.

Thanks for the replies.
Russell.

Re: KenWood mix master - missing component

For Kenwood A703C
Triac = TAG12 225 600
Cap = 0.047uF 600V
Resistor 56 OHM

Colin

Re: KenWood mix master - missing component
Thanks for the info. Colin.
Can you please tell me the wattage of the resistor?

Thanks,
Russell.

Re: KenWood mix master - missing component

0.5W

Site Timeline