Jigsaw Puzzle solved !!

** Hi again,

( apologies for the pun )

The sole reason for the odd behaviour of my trusty SCR speed controller with
the new jigsaw was due to the suppression cap fitted across the AC leads of
the saw   -  220nF in this case but 22nF or 47nF was just as effective at
preventing operation.

Removing the cap produced normal speed control.

Investigation showed that with the cap in place, large bursts of ringing
voltage appears across the motor each time the SCR switches off   -  this
interferes with the operation of the diac firing circuit and hence the drill
will not run.

There is a very simple fix that allows the cap to remain:  using a double
adaptor, connect a 100/150 watt lamp in parallel with the saw or other tool
fitted with such a suppression cap.

Damps the ringing and normal operation resumes.

See ABSE for schem of the controller  -  an EA design sold by DSE as a kit
long ago.

.......   Phil

Re: Jigsaw Puzzle solved !!

     Very simple fix. :-) Better buy your lamps now, while they're still
available!

Bob

Re: Jigsaw Puzzle solved !!

"Bob Parker"
 Phil Allison

** I see you are not up with the latest offerings from the planet's best
friend  - ie the lighting industry.

Available form K-Marts stores right now,  42 watt halogen bulbs that (
allegedly) put out the same light as a 60 watt normal bulb.  Only 2.99 each.
Last up to 2000 hours.

http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/light-bulbs/osram-halogen-classic-a-60w-bayonet-cap.asp

Able to stay on sale after standard GLS bulbs have been banned.

This is scheduled to start in October  THIS  YEAR   -  with a total ban on
importation.

We live in interesting times........

Chinese pun,  fully intended.

......   Phil

Re: Jigsaw Puzzle solved !!

Thanks for the follow-up Phil.

Tony

Re: Jigsaw Puzzle solved !!
Dear Phil

I have now read so many recent reasonable and helpful posts from you (quoted
by others) that I can only assume you are a reformed person!  I'll now
un-killfile you!

Re: Jigsaw Puzzle solved !!

Go for it - he's often very entertaining.

Re: Jigsaw Puzzle solved !!

He still verges on the psychotic though. The jury is out....
Why has Phil resorted to baseless abusive language so often in the past ?
 A simple google group search will reveal his abusive nature.
Maybe he has reformed, I certainly hope so, he seems to have improved recently.
If you want to abuse people, go to aus.politics NOT aus.electronics !!!

Re: Jigsaw Puzzle solved !!

It's poor form to tell people you've filtered (or unfiltered) them -
just do it without any ceremony.

Re: Jigsaw Puzzle solved !!

Sez who?

Re: Jigsaw Puzzle solved !!

<PLONK>

Re: Jigsaw Puzzle solved !!

Isn't that a bit hard?

Re: Jigsaw Puzzle solved !!

Not really, it is only fortified wine.
The Grappa from the Italian bloke down the road on the other hand...

Re: Jigsaw Puzzle solved !!

"Jeus"

** LOL  -

 put that evil stuff in you petrol tank and the car WILL RUN  on it  !!

........  Phil

Re: Jigsaw Puzzle solved !!

Well...
I haven't been able to buy Shell Optimax for a week or more - and today
there's no bloody BP Ultimate - so perhaps I should! Anything has got to
be better than that 95RON garbage that passes for petrol here in
Australia...

Re: Jigsaw Puzzle solved !!

Hangs head and goes quietly to corner... Your dignified postings somehow
belie your occasional descent to that useless uk amateur radio group...

Re: Jigsaw Puzzle solved !!

Don't worry Suzy, I'm rarely very serious about most things you'll find
on Usenet... As for the UK Amateur group, the only time you'll see me in
there is due to someone crossposting :)

Site Timeline