Jigsaw Puzzle solved !!

** Hi again,

( apologies for the pun )

The sole reason for the odd behaviour of my trusty SCR speed controller with the new jigsaw was due to the suppression cap fitted across the AC leads of the saw - 220nF in this case but 22nF or 47nF was just as effective at preventing operation.

Removing the cap produced normal speed control.

Investigation showed that with the cap in place, large bursts of ringing voltage appears across the motor each time the SCR switches off - this interferes with the operation of the diac firing circuit and hence the drill will not run.

There is a very simple fix that allows the cap to remain: using a double adaptor, connect a 100/150 watt lamp in parallel with the saw or other tool fitted with such a suppression cap.

Damps the ringing and normal operation resumes.

See ABSE for schem of the controller - an EA design sold by DSE as a kit long ago.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Very simple fix. :-) Better buy your lamps now, while they're still available!

Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker

Thanks for the follow-up Phil.

Tony

Reply to
TonyS

"Bob Parker" Phil Allison

** I see you are not up with the latest offerings from the planet's best friend - ie the lighting industry.

Available form K-Marts stores right now, 42 watt halogen bulbs that ( allegedly) put out the same light as a 60 watt normal bulb. Only 2.99 each. Last up to 2000 hours.

Able to stay on sale after standard GLS bulbs have been banned.

This is scheduled to start in October THIS YEAR - with a total ban on importation.

We live in interesting times........

Chinese pun, fully intended.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Dear Phil

I have now read so many recent reasonable and helpful posts from you (quoted by others) that I can only assume you are a reformed person! I'll now un-killfile you!

Reply to
Suzy

Go for it - he's often very entertaining.

Reply to
ian field

He still verges on the psychotic though. The jury is out.... Why has Phil resorted to baseless abusive language so often in the past ? A simple google group search will reveal his abusive nature. Maybe he has reformed, I certainly hope so, he seems to have improved recently. If you want to abuse people, go to aus.politics NOT aus.electronics !!!

Reply to
fritz

It's poor form to tell people you've filtered (or unfiltered) them - just do it without any ceremony.

Reply to
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Je=DFus?=

Sez who?

Reply to
L.A.T.

Reply to
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Je=DFus?=

Hangs head and goes quietly to corner... Your dignified postings somehow belie your occasional descent to that useless uk amateur radio group...

Reply to
Suzy

Isn't that a bit hard?

Reply to
Suzy

Not really, it is only fortified wine. The Grappa from the Italian bloke down the road on the other hand...

Reply to
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Je=DFus?=

Don't worry Suzy, I'm rarely very serious about most things you'll find on Usenet... As for the UK Amateur group, the only time you'll see me in there is due to someone crossposting :)

Reply to
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Je=DFus?=

** LOL -

put that evil stuff in you petrol tank and the car WILL RUN on it !!

Reply to
Phil Allison

Well... I haven't been able to buy Shell Optimax for a week or more - and today there's no bloody BP Ultimate - so perhaps I should! Anything has got to be better than that 95RON garbage that passes for petrol here in Australia...

Reply to
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Je=DFus?=