Jetstar unveils thin client, BYO laptop vision - Page 3

Re: Jetstar unveils thin client, BYO laptop vision

See the earlier references to Wyse - We are talking about single purpose,
physically thin clients.
Workstations don't even come close.

Dunno. If it wasn't Sun it probably would have been AT&T.

--
Kwyj.

Re: Jetstar unveils thin client, BYO laptop vision

  No, 'we' weren't talking about single purpose (only) and certainly not
about physically thin clients, and neither were *you* (If you think
otherwise then cite.)! So please don't dream up stuff as you go along.

  It was HP. Sun OS was a micro-kernel which ran HP's UNIX
implementation (HP-UX) on the HP 9000 Series 500. (It also ran another
OS.)

Re: Jetstar unveils thin client, BYO laptop vision

Here's the first message in this thread that you replied to, you useless
bullshit artist.

"Wyse? I thought that they were dead years ago, Fujitsu bought them.
Maybe someone has done a Lazarus on the name. The thin clients look like
we are heading back into the days of green screen terminals, just with
some fancy graphics built in."

What did Wyse make their name manufacturing? Workstations?
Moron.

Stop trying to rewrite history then, dickhead.

--
Kwyj.

Re: Jetstar unveils thin client, BYO laptop vision

[Non-response noted.]

  Nope! That was *part* of the message, not all of it (Free clue:
"[...]".). *And* I responded to *another* part. *And* I responded *in
context*. You might want to try that sometime!

  So now you've added 'convenient' silent snipping to ad Hominem
attacks. What's next?

  Strawman.

  Don't you hate those damned reflecting display screen!?

  PKB. QED. HTH. HAND. EOD. NK.

Re: Jetstar unveils thin client, BYO laptop vision

The ANU had a bunch of them in the mid 1980s

Physically definitely not, logically they were thin.

Re: Jetstar unveils thin client, BYO laptop vision

And this discussion was about physically thin clients - Hence the discussion
starting off with Wyse terminals.

--
Kwyj.

Re: Jetstar unveils thin client, BYO laptop vision

Thin clients are so called because they are physically thin? ROFL

Are you injecting some weird humour or do you really believe that?

Re: Jetstar unveils thin client, BYO laptop vision

Care to point out where I said any such thing, stupid?

Try learning about a little thing called 'context'. The discussion was about
single purpose, thin client devices - Not workstations or full blown
computers being used as this clients.

--
Kwyj.

Re: Jetstar unveils thin client, BYO laptop vision

at 1U these sun3's were thinner than most desktop machines.

but the term thin client was popularised two years after my first
encounter with theses diskless X machines.

Re: Jetstar unveils thin client, BYO laptop vision

X Windows.

HTH!

  . | ,. w ,   "Some people are alive only because
Re: Jetstar unveils thin client, BYO laptop vision

X Windows isn't a thin client. An X Terminal is but they weren't generally
available until the 90s.

You didn't.

--
Kwyj.

Re: Jetstar unveils thin client, BYO laptop vision

The word "generally" is not a qualifier I believe was initially used.
Some of us used "X terminals" in the 70's.

Re: Jetstar unveils thin client, BYO laptop vision

LOL.
So you powered them on and waited (at least) 4 years for something to
connect to?

--
Kwyj.

Re: Jetstar unveils thin client, BYO laptop vision

No, actually in my case I had to write the frigging program.

Re: Jetstar unveils thin client, BYO laptop vision

[SNIP]

I must have been hallucinating about all those Labtam X terminals I
worked on back in the 1980s - M68K- and then i860- and i960- based.

There's no way that Kwyj could be wrong about anything, could there?
(Maybe it's started channelling Rod Speed these days - who could believe
that someone *else* could be so wrong at such length!)

    Cheers,
        Gary    B-)

Re: Jetstar unveils thin client, BYO laptop vision

   'Speed' is an amateur compared to this idiot:

Chieftain of the Carpet Crawlers

GoldIntermetallicEmbrittlement

snipped-for-privacy@thebarattheendoftheuniverse.org

scorpius
SomeKindOfWonderful

Sum Ting Wong
The Great Attractor

snipped-for-privacy@thebarattheendoftheuniverse.org

plus other sock puppets.

Re: Jetstar unveils thin client, BYO laptop vision

Nope Wyse are still kicking, and whilst it's not up to a desktop PC it
ain't far off with current technology.

I'm currently implementing VMWare View where I work, and it's an amazing
technology. Delivers your work desktop to you where-ever you happen to
be with an internet connection, basically using a really souped up RDP
session (souped up to the point that the old horse and cart is now more
like a Lambaghini).

Storage ain't a massive issue as it has a "gold image" which is
referenced by all users, and there is just a "differential" image kept
for each of the users to keep track of any changes. The differentials
are blown away every 7 days or so, but the profile information is kept
intact and stored elsewhere, so the user doesn't really notice the
difference as long as they don't do silly things like dumping data onto
C drive outside of their profile (company policy is to store all data on
the network anyway).

Now getting back to your comments, one of the packages that comes
bundled with View is Thinapp (previously Thinstall until VMWare bought
it and souped it up further), so the way we do things is all SOE apps
are on the Gold view image, and any other required software we thinapp
and stick on the network, where only those authorised to use those apps
can run them. They run beautifully (even large apps) from the network as
thinapp only streams the parts of the app to you that you need as you
need them, it doesn't need to shunt the whole thing across to your
machine, I'm sure that technology would work equally well off of a USB
stick or similar.

And the Wyse terminals (we're using S10's and V10L's) are nearly up to
scratch of having a desktop PC. Wyse have done some interesting things
with compression and the streaming of video and sound to their terminals
(the only place where they fall behind a full desktop PC), and with what
we've got now we can wack a V10L on a desk, point it to an FTP server to
pick up it's config and licensing, plug in a monitor and bang it's up
and running. Connects to the View broker, user authenticates and they
get their own personalised machine up on the screen, from where they
could watch a movie if they wanted to even though they're just sitting
at a thin client.

We've ruled out replacing all desktops with these terminals though, as
they have implications in respect to Windows licensing which we don't
encounter buying OEM PC's, and after the licensing is sorted you're
nearly paying as much as a PC anyway. Also the user experience isn't the
same as sitting at a real PC, it's nearly there, but the performance
isn't all the way there. For instance you can't just add a codec to your
master image to make everything good for new video formats, you'll find
crappy performance as Wyse will not have catered for that codec yet,
shit they've only just got flash working, and even that is a tad flakey.
Instead we'll be buying a bunch for rapid implmentations, temporary work
area set ups, overflow usage, and hot desks and so on. But the PC's will
still be there for a while yet.

Re: Jetstar unveils thin client, BYO laptop vision

The actual RDP part is plain old Microsoft RDP. The only thing that's
different is that it incorporates Wyse TCX multimedia redirection.
Wait til you see PCoIP - It makes RDP with MMR look like an old donkey :-)

How many users are you talking about? You don't want too many users per
template, or read contention becomes an issue.

--
Kwyj.

Re: Jetstar unveils thin client, BYO laptop vision

OVer the last few years I have considered all sorts of architechtures
for different apps, and they all have their place.

Take for example, ebay. web client for most users. However power
sellers have the option of 3rd party  smart clients. Have you tried
using a web client on daily basis for business? Think apps like people
soft.

Your accountant? As a business owner I use a web based accounting
package. However my accountant would be unable to use it efficiently
and instead uses a thick client.

However, if you own a large chain of businesses doing POS then a web
client will not cut it and a thin client is a lot more suited.

This is why I refuse to buy into the deabates on thin v web v smart v
thick client becase all have their place in modern computing.

Re: Jetstar unveils thin client, BYO laptop vision

Thin clients are an excuse for IT departments to party like its 1985,
they have hated the users being able to do their own thing, now they are
drawing it all back into the computer room again.

Site Timeline