Jetstar unveils thin client, BYO laptop vision

Here is another, "I guess it had to happen sooner or later" story.

http://www.australianit.news.com.au/story/0,25197,26021336-15306,00.html

Throw out the existing IT department, BYO Latptop, and the company
issues a 16Gb memory stick with the company software on board.

Companies such as Jetstar, may do a free issue of the Laptop in the
first instance, but no IT team is needed for daily support.

If the Laptop breaks down, the memory stick is transferred to another
Laptop. They are really talking about under $800 netbooks here.

Slip it into your bag, and off to work we go. Hiho!! HiHo!!

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

OT: Other free issue computers

On a related topic, is anyone up with the current status of the govs free
laptops to schoolies program?

Re: Other free issue computers

Bit splash in the local paper about the year 9s in my local school all just
getting theirs.

Re: OT: Other free issue computers

What ya want to know?

Re: OT: Other free issue computers

If handing out free laptops is going to improve the apalling level of
literacy in this country or add to it?

Re: OT: Other free issue computers

Hi Gerry

Wasn`t A600`s handed out to you or others
at your school?

Re: OT: Other free issue computers

Not a chance, we had two Microbees and some ancient thing that read
punchcards ;-)

Re: OT: Other free issue computers

Ah yes the Microbee 32K wonderful and a tape drive to load programmes.

Re: OT: Other free issue computers

If so, get one.  Appalling is one of the first words you should try to learn
to spell correctly.  Wanker.

Re: OT: Other free issue computers

Clearly that was just a typo, but the question remains just as valid.

Re: OT: Other free issue computers

said...
:
:If handing out free laptops is going to improve the apalling level of
:literacy in this country or add to it?

It'll *continue* to make it worse, obviously. Or was that meant to be a
joke, given your spelling?

Re: OT: Other free issue computers

It definitely adds to it.

Re: OT: Other free issue computers

NO and the kids are shying away from computers

Re: OT: Other free issue computers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  prolly status quo......money down the drain. i think a large
percentage of so called "teachers" are only semi literate
themselves....the only advantage may be spell check..

jonz
"Usenet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhea - massive,
Re: Other free issue computers

Media release
Digital Education Revolution delivered in NSW
Deputy Prime Minister, Julia Gillard and NSW Minister for Education and
Training, Verity Firth will today announce the delivery of the first laptops
to secondary schools in New South Wales.

The Deputy Prime Minister and the NSW Minister for Education will visit a
Year 9 class at Fairvale High School in Sydney's west to see how the laptops
will be integrated into the lesson.

The laptop deliveries signify the roll-out of the Rudd Government's $2.2
billion Digital Education Revolution to NSW high schools.

Ms Firth said the laptops would revolutionise the nature of education and
training and provide students with more access to technology than ever
before.

"More than 200,000 devices will be distributed to NSW government school
students over the life of this $386 million program.

"Because of this investment, students will be able to access more learning
tools than ever before. They'll be more computer literate and in the
long-term more competitive in a global market."

Ms Firth said the roll-out would begin with Year 9 students and for the next
four years, each new Year 9 class in NSW government schools would receive a
laptop.

"This is a gift for every government high school student in NSW-once they
have finished Year 12, they can keep their laptop for good."

Ms Firth said the Rees Government had worked extremely hard to provide the
best possible product and software for NSW government schools.

"In a world first, Microsoft's Windows 7 has been installed on every laptop
which is
also equipped with $5,500 of the latest Microsoft and Adobe software and is
wirelessly enabled to allow students to access the internet from anywhere
within the school.

"NSW will also employ an additional 400 IT support officers to provide
on-site assistance to students and teachers, providing more jobs in the
current tough economic climate.

"The NSW Government has also invested $16 million over four years to provide
secondary high school teachers with the same laptops, with another $10
million allocated for professional learning.

"The Digital Education Revolution complements the NSW Government's four-year
$693 million investment in providing state-of-the-art connected classrooms,
computer labs and technology to NSW schools and TAFEs.

"The NSW Department of Education and Training has developed new world-class
curriculum specific teaching and learning resources to be used with the
laptops. The classroom as we know it has changed."

The Deputy Prime Minister, Julia Gillard welcomed the NSW Government's
commitment to the Digital Education Revolution.

"The Rudd Government is determined to ensure Australian students are
equipped with the tools they need for the jobs of today and tomorrow.

"The Digital Education Revolution will help to bring our classrooms into the
21st Century."

Media Contact:

snipped-for-privacy@deewr.gov.au

Non-media queries: 1300 363 079

Re: Other free issue computers

I would love to see the item by item costing to support this assertion.

BUT

That is only $1,930 per computer.

nope, they throw another few dollars at the existing teachers in return
for taking on a mountain of work supporting this crud. Oh wait, that is
what happens now.

Cynically know in the dept as being created so the minister can send out
emails to every student.

umm, who is paying for the learning resources?

Re: Other free issue computers

And then compare it to academic pricing and cough <bullshit>!

Academic pricing is much cheaper, I'd say they'd be hard pressed to
prove the $5,500 even at commercial pricing. And that's not even taking
into account the massive bulk-buy discount they'd be getting. Usual
political spin doctoring and lies.

There ya go!

Dunno what state you're in, Dept of Ed and Training in WA throws heaps
at the highschools and dismally neglects the TAFEs. Although that may
now change since they've gone full circle and are splitting the depts
after the abortion of merging them.

What, you mean they're finally going to pay for the infrastructure to
run all of this? Know someone that was involved in the PC tenders over
here in WA, and intentionally priced through the roof to miss out,
apparently his mob had tried to push the point that this would not work
without infrastructure to run the gear and was told "that's not your
problem, the promise was on PC's, that will be delivered, infrastructure
not to be included, just price on the PC's". His mob didn't want their
name associated with such an abortion.

Wonder if it'll turn out to be the same in-house abortions that we see
so commonly from govt depts.

Re: Other free issue computers

Any NSW teacher or support staff, full or part time can purchase this
software- yep full versions and double of some bits for under $200.

Microsoft provides a Work at Home Rights licence for all DET employees
(teaching and administrative, full time and part time). Only those
Microsoft desktop products that are included in the Microsoft Enterprise
Agreement and that are installed on a user's workplace computer can be
installed on only one home computer for work purposes.

Includes the operating system, MS Office, and

Adobe Master collection and bits. Adobe CS4 Collection for Windows
 >includes :Acrobat Pro Extended, Photoshop Elements, Premier Elements,
Captivate, Master Collection (9xDVD) also available for MAC. $84.50

Office Enterprise 2007 Win32 English DVD>> includes Word,Excel etc.
Office MAC 2008 DVD
Expression Web Win32 English Media-replacement version of FrontPage
Visual Studio Pro 2008 DVD
these are $50 each

Re: Jetstar unveils thin client, BYO laptop vision

Wyse? I thought that they were dead years ago, Fujitsu bought them.
Maybe someone has done a Lazarus on the name. The thin clients look like
we are heading back into the days of green screen terminals, just with
some fancy graphics built in.

I think that they are looking at the staff buying their own laptops, IBM
were looking at a similar idea last year.

The notion of having a memory stick with all the software on it is a bit
suss though, the performance wouldn't exactly be startling.

Re: Jetstar unveils thin client, BYO laptop vision

[...]

  Yes, 'thin clients' are SO 19*80*'s! :-(

[...]

  The software does not have to *run* from the memory stick (only
'install'). Also *data* can be cached and synced.

[To be honest, I didn't know that you could / were_allowed_to do this
kind of stuff any *differently*! Silly me! :-)]