jaycars new valve amp

what are your thoughts on the jaycars new valve amp for $299.

ive picked up one of these and found thay are tubestate tube input and state output.

has anyone got one?

zack

Reply to
ZACK

A fool and their money are soon parted.

Oh dear:

And even worse:

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

**Not anyone with half a brain. It is ridiculously over-priced, for such a POS. It delivers a pitiful 18 Watts/channel. It uses a couple of bog-standard output ICs, some 4558 line stage ICs (these date back to the 1970s) and a couple of valves (which are operating at stupidly high filament Voltages) for distortion. A complete waste of time. The valves will not last very long, due to the high filament Voltages). In fact, Jaycar sell a quite decent integrated amp (P# AA-0470) for $200.00. At 100 Watts/channel, it offers respectable performance at a reasonable price. No valves though. Just decent performance at a bargain basement price.

You would have been MUCH better spending your money on a decent, second hand, Japanese made amp, from Marantz, Yamaha, Rotel, NAD, et al. Those guys use (in the main) all discrete output stages, modern line stage ICs (at least 5532 class), are built to last and don't employ silly tricks (like sticking useless valves inside) to suck in the gullible.

I trust that answers your question.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

the amp i most use is a marshall 9200 2/ch 100watts p/ch

8x5881 4x12ax7.

Reply to
ZACK

"ZACK"

** For your home stereo ??

BTW

Know the beast well.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"Trevor Wilson"

<
** So what is the function of the two Russian 6P15s ??

These are closely equivalent to the EL84 power valve which can do 6 watts rms single ended and 17 watts rms in P-P AB1 - and up to maybe 30 watts if you are game to push the anode voltage to 450V and supply the screen from

280V )

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Its funny how people 'swear by' vaccum tubes. Mordern devices are so clean that they sound 'worse' to these morons. Just introduce a bit of noise and things sound better. They even found this was true when they were asking people to tell them which mp3 bit rate sounded better. If they added random poeple were more likly to think a low bit rate sounded better than a cleaner higher bit rate.

Reply to
MisterE

**No idea. Certainly not for driving speakers. There are no output transformers. I've not pulled one apart. I've only seen photos.
**Indeed. Nonetheless, this thing is a con-job. It uses LM -XXXX output ICs. AFAIK, the anode Volts on the tubes is far too low to allow them to be able to do anything meaningful. More seriously, however, is the nonsensically high filament Volts applied to the valves. I'd be surprised if they last much more than a few hundred hours.

This amp is for the seriously deluded only. It'll probably be a massive success.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

**So? What's your point? Are you trying to relate a well built, properly designed professional amp to a POS sold by Jaycar to deluded people?
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Just out of curiosity, what voltage is it hitting the heaters with?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker

No different to anything that is subjective I guess. Like swearing a crapped out 40 year old VW beatle is a better drive than a brand new Statesman or whatever. There is a market for every taste.

Nothing wrong with saying "it's got heaps of distortion, but I like it that way". But some people do get a tad delusional with the likes of valve amps, like when they start wanting a valve amp with minimal distortion and insist it sounds better than a solid state amp with the same specs.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

** Yeah, I got my doubts on TW's claim.

Valve heaters are made from tungsten wire, just like light bulbs, but do not rum near as hot,.

The problem if you run them above nominal voltage is the cathode coating ( wot doles out all the darn electrons) gets worn out rather quickly.

Hardly maters in valves that barely do a jot of work.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

**The measurements I saw were not taken with an RMS Voltmeter, but the brightness of the filaments, compared with the same filaments operating at the correct Voltage was clear and obvious. I'd reckon a 20-25% overload would be in the ballpark.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Just why would you run with a high filament voltage, other than to increase burnout rate so people have to spend more on replacement?

Reply to
Bruce Varley

**Pop down to your local Jaycar and ask them to plug one in. You'll note that the filaments are running MUCH hotter than normal. Just ask ZACK.

Well ZACK, tell us how bright the filaments are, compared to the filaments in your Marshall.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

**This should put it all into perspective:

If I just purchased this POS, I'd take it back. It really is disgusting.

There's one born every minute. Jaycar actually sell a reasonable amp, for a reasonable price (Part # AA-0470). There is no need for people to buy junk like this.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

**Have you forgotten? This is Jaycar. Gary probably needs to buy another new Ferrari. If he cons enough idiots to shell out 300 Bucks for this POS, he'll be able to buy one in no time at all.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

dont blame me i only found out after i got it. you have not told us the voltage thats going into them, or do i have to find out myself. i know its a peace of crap.

as guitar player i wont go past a marshall.

Reply to
ZACK

tell me, how do know obout this junk. did you get one and found out or were did yoy get the info from.

Reply to
ZACK

tell me, how do you know obout this junk. did you get one and found out or were did you get the info from

Reply to
ZACK