Jaycar Valve Amp

Re. the Jaycar Valve amp that was mentioned on here a few weeks back.

In this months SC ad Jaycar have printed an appology about the product being deceptive and are offering a refund to anyone who bought it. They are even offering a $30 gift voucher to people who still want to keep it.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Why is it deceptive?

Reply to
The Real Andy

the advertising blurb nowhere says that the output stage is solid state. 'hybrid' has many interpretations.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts

Apparently because they didn't adequately tell people it used a solid state output stage. At least one aus.electronics member got duped and posted a rant here about it a few weeks back. At the time though the web page for the product is as you see it now, it clearly says it's solid state, so not deceptive at all as far as the web page goes. I don't know what the box or any other in-store or print advertising said though.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Here you go, here is the full story:

The original flyer ad was deceptive as it did not say it was solid state output.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

From that story:

"They're using the 16V transformer winding in series with a diode to function as a dropper. Here is a 19V peak half wave rectified sine wave to feed the heaters. The idea is that by chopping off half the sine wave is that you feed half power into the load (valve heater). ..

This is the waveform showing 5.72V DC on the DMM. The RMS value is closer to 8.5V. "

I'm not sure where that peak value of 19V came from. I also don't know why I need to know the peak voltage, so perhaps it is not surprising that I don't know how to come up with a value of 8.5V for the RMS value.

The diode halves the power. That is equivalent to reducing the voltage to 11.3V ( 16V divided by SQRT(2) ). The voltage drop across the diode is not going to make that much of a difference, is it?

Andy Wood snipped-for-privacy@trap.ozemail.com.au

Reply to
Andy Wood

Oh well, if you are dumb enough to buy a valve amp for anything other than the eye candy value then you deserve what you get.

Reply to
The Real Andy

on the back of the amp reads tube or valve amp never ses hybrid or with solid state output. yes i fell into that trap. im now making a mod to fix the heater problem by useing a regulater to bring those heaters down where thay sould be. oh and theres another diode on the other side that powers the relay for the speakers dthump that diode has blown twise, im fixing that to. i hate it when i have to mod things to make them work properly.

Reply to
ZACK

Why on earth don't you take it back and get a refund?

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

on the back of the amp reads tube or valve amp never ses hybrid or with solid state output. yes i fell into that trap. im now making a mod to fix the heater problem to bring those heaters down where thay sould be. oh and theres another diode on the other side that powers the relay for the speakers dthump that diode has blown twise, im fixing that to. i hate it when i have to mod things to make them work properly.

Reply to
ZACK

problem solved, heaters now at normal heat. mod has been made

Reply to
ZACK