Jaycar blatant ripoff!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SW8K9D9u5aI

I am basically retired these days, and not really involved with electronics like I use to be.
Just cruising!

However this Jaycar blatant rip off was brought to my attention, and I knew I had to do something about it.

Have a look at the youtube video, comments very welcome.

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Dontronics has just launched a new Shopping Cart.
Re: Jaycar blatant ripoff!!!!
Thanks for that link Don. I've rung and spoken to Jaycar and the guy
told me they've been flooded with complaints and links about their
apparent theft of intellectual property and their marketing people are
sorting out a response. Perhaps there's another side to the story but
I bet I'm not going to like Jaycar's version.

Cheers Bruce.

Re: Jaycar blatant ripoff!!!!
On Wed, 19 Oct 2016 11:09:00 +1100, Bruce

https://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote2.html

I call shenanigans on all theistic religions

Re: Jaycar blatant ripoff!!!!
That they would produce a similar kit is understandable but to copy the
box and documentation so blatantly is disgraceful in my view.

I noticed it has been brought up on the EEVblog forums. A video from
Dave would surely give plenty of world wide exposure to this blatant rip
off.

Re: Jaycar blatant ripoff!!!!

I admit I haven't watched the video, but looking at the two
product pages linked in the description, I can't see what
the fuss is about.

Jaycar packages an equivalent kit to Freetronics; with their
own colour and branding so I don't see how consumers would
mistake it for a Freetronics product. I hardly think
Freetronics would have patented their kit design, so what's
the problem?

The Freetronics Arduino (and possibly the Jaycar one as well)
is only an unofficial copy of the Open-Source Arduino design,
so I don't understand why there would be any sense of loyalty
to them in any case.

--
__          __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: Jaycar blatant ripoff!!!!

  ** Watch the video  - it explains things.

** This is not a consumer "rip-off"  but an imitation of a existing product including packaging and documentation.

** It's a copyright issue - not a patent breach.

Jaycar have had the Freetronics kit cloned by the Chinese and are selling it using a brand they own.

The minor copyright infringement and the money involved does not justify legal action.

....  Phil

Re: Jaycar blatant ripoff!!!!

OK, it did. It also highlighted the quite nice resistor colour chart
that Jaycar ripped off. That page will be handy to keep on my
computer.

OK, though anyone who's seen an ALDI store will understand
that such practice is hardly unusual.

Yes the project guide has clearly been copied, at least with some
images. I doubt if the packaging would qualify as a copyright
breach, he says himself that there are differences and that they
never had the design files.

I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with them
copying the overall kit design, besides it being a lazy. There's
nothing revolutionary about it (as I say, if there were they
should have patented it). However Jaycar should have been honest
enough to develop their own project guide, especially as they
no doubt have the resources to do so.

Unfortunately.

--
__          __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: Jaycar blatant ripoff!!!!

I knew I'd seen a similar resistor colour chart before somewhere:

https://postimg.org/image/xnvx7is71/

That photo is from the data section of the Dick Smith catalogues from
the '90's and 2000's and a full size colour one was sold cat. no. B-1000

Re: Jaycar blatant ripoff!!!!

A few years ago I printed off one from the 'net that also
showed the temperature coefficient colours for 6-band
resistors. Unfortunately I lost the file, it's probably
still online somewhere...

--
__          __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: Jaycar blatant ripoff!!!!
Easy enough to remember the code. From my apprentice days -

0     1     2     3      4      5     6          7       8     9
Black Brown Red   Orange Yellow Green Blue       Violet  Gray  White
Bye   bye   Rosie Off    You    Go to Birmingham Via     Great Western
Bad   Boys  Rape  Our    Young  Girls But        Virgins Go    Without

Re: Jaycar blatant ripoff!!!!

There are many versions of that last one. :)

Unfortunately the more fickle memories among us can need some
reassurance that 8 was Grey, not Green, and 6 was Blue, not
Brown.

--
__          __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: Jaycar blatant ripoff!!!!

Though I'm finding it less useful to know these days, because the 1%
resistors I buy seem to be coded with various shades of brown on a blue
background. I used to be confident that I could correctly read the code,
but now I have to check every one with a multimeter.

Sylvia.

Re: Jaycar blatant ripoff!!!!

Yes, I've run across a few truely impossible ones. Lighting can be
important though, florescent lights don't put out the complete
colour spectrum, which can be the cause of colour code issues.

Holding it up next to a window, or taking it as a potentially
well needed excuse for a breath of fresh air, can be useful.
Though I find that once the doubt has been planted, I usually
confirm with the DMM afterwards anyway.

--
__          __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: Jaycar blatant ripoff!!!!

Rather than store every value in a separate draw (which would take too
much room), I long ago decided to store them according to the first two
digits (so 27, 270, 2K7 etc. go in the same draw). That means that I
only have to look at the multiplier band to locate the one I want. It
used to work fine.

But I find that now I cannot reliably distinguish brown from red, red
from orange, orange from yellow, which means that I'm at risk of getting
a resistor that's an order of magnitude out, and often enough the
multimeter confirms that. It's a right pain.

Sylvia.

Re: Jaycar blatant ripoff!!!!

It's clear that they've copied the packaging design and the instruction
book, not just developed their own.

Depending on the terms of the open-source licence used by Freetronics,
that may, or may not, be a breach of copyright, since open-source is not
the same as public domain.

Sylvia.

Re: Jaycar blatant ripoff!!!!

As the video explains this seems to be routine for Jaycar. The only
thing I can do about it is to boycott Jaycar. Is there a comparable
shop in Melbourne's Eastern suburbs?

Re: Jaycar blatant ripoff!!!!
Hardly any few and far between nowadays.

Re: Jaycar blatant ripoff!!!!

That name is a rip off of Altronics!

--
I call shenanigans on all theistic religions

Re: Jaycar blatant ripoff!!!!
RE: Is there a comparable shop in Melbourne's Eastern suburbs?

Try Semtronics Pty Ltd in Nunawading
(I have no association with them -just a happy customer)

Re: Jaycar blatant ripoff!!!!

Seconded. I used to use them often before I knew better but now they are a
very last resort for time-sensitive items that need to over-rule prefernces.
--
Shaun.