It will now cost you $9 more to send a small package to the US

As from today, it will now cost you $9 more to send a small package (over 453
grams) to the US

I just got this from Australian Post today, no warning, nothing, so I put a copy
up on my web page:
http://www.dontronics.com/pdf/APO_US_surcharge.pdf

Even the APO staff had no warning to get their Christmas gifts to friends and
relations in the US

Now what will this to to small exporters?

Cheers Don...

=========================

--
Don McKenzie

Re: It will now cost you $9 more to send a small package to the US

Will do the same as most decisions from government do - F** their
businesses.

Re: It will now cost you $9 more to send a small package to the US

Ill email my next one then!

Re: It will now cost you $9 more to send a small package to the US

Blame the arselifters. It's because of arselifters posting
bombs that the yanks have had to take these measures.

--
What is the difference between a duck?

Re: It will now cost you $9 more to send a small package to the US

#  Yes, and I would like to see them have to double the ticket price for
flying to pay for all the 'security'.  The quicker the better.
 Then it might hit home to the diversicrats.

Re: It will now cost you $9 more to send a small package to the US

You mean Al CIAeda don't you ?

Just think, your $9 will probably go to fund more of these staged
"terror" attacks.

Re: It will now cost you $9 more to send a small package to the US
grams) to the US
copy up on my web page:

Dave Jones took this one on board with his Video Blog:
http://www.eevblog.com /
currently the video at the top of the page.

Well said Dave.
It is madness.

I have a very close working relationship with the staff of our local business
post office.
They were extremely upset that they had to pay an extra $9 to get the usual
hefty Christmas gifts to friends and relos
in the US. They found out the day it was introduced, no warning at all.

"What do we do now? Email our gifts?" said Marylin, who has a daughter in
Florida.
Well perhaps you do. You send each other gift vouchers. Nice personal touch huh?

Cheers Don...

=========================

--
Don McKenzie

Re: It will now cost you $9 more to send a small package to the US

It got some of the Yanks fired up, that was hilarious!

From what I'm hearing the fee is only Australian specific, and other
countries have put extra procedures in place but are not charging
extra (yet).
AustPost in that release said they are just covering costs. So that
begs the question, just what extra are they doing to warrant the $9
fee increase?
Either they are flat out lying and gouging with the big fee, or there
is something really special in place that costs $9 per package. Bets
anyone?

Dave.

Re: It will now cost you $9 more to send a small package to the US

It is to cover all the security checks at the USA end. you know, the
ones that don't stop any bombs getting in any way.

Re: It will now cost you $9 more to send a small package to the US

I just looked at it.  That was a classic, and the comments were
excellent too :)
(false teeth bomb  LMAO).

Interesting to note that people are waking up to 9/11 too.

I can't imagine it costing that much in reality.
Even if you had to spend $10,000,000 on scanning gear etc
with the sheer number of parcels that would go through every day, even
a tiny
surcharge would soon pay for that.

Even if you had every package opened, content taken out and carefully
examined,
it might end up costing that much, but skilled and experienced
operators that are doing it
everyday would soon have this down to a fine art and with quick
turnaround.

If you have watched those "customs" programs on the TV, it seems that
they scan, examine and use drug dogs on all incoming
parcels anyway.  They might even do same with outgoing already.

Also should mention that in Ukraine and other places, the post office
has to pack your parcels, you
have to bring the individual items in and let them pack them in their
own packaging. (at your cost of course).

Re: It will now cost you $9 more to send a small package to the US

Tweet reply from Australia Post:
"Unfortunately Australia Post is not able to discuss security measures
in place for either incoming or outgoing mail items."

Great, take our $9 and don't tell us how it's used, even in the
vaguest sense, if it's really "at cost", or just gouging.

Dave.

Re: It will now cost you $9 more to send a small package to the US

Perhaps a job for a politician, as it really sounds a bit like gouging to me.
I feel they (APO) should have to be accountable on this one.

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: It will now cost you $9 more to send a small package to the US

I had a chat again with my business Post Office staff today, but they haven't
been told anything at all about how this
$9 is to be used.

So it's a security secret.
Shirley they can't be serious. :-)

Cheers Don...

===============================

--
Don McKenzie

Re: It will now cost you $9 more to send a small package to the US

While on the subject, it may be delaying incoming US mail as well.

I have found in the past that orders from Mouser would take about 5
working days, I have been waiting now for 9 for my latest order.
It is also possible that due to Christmas season may be the reason

Note that Mouser always deliver by private courier, not Australia
post, but I'm sure that the security standards are going to be the
same for both services.

Has anyone else had similar experiences ?

Site Timeline