It's happened again (google troubles)

I defy any one to find a straight answer from a search engine (easily)
to the question of what timber available in australia is suitable to
carve rocking horses.
As soon as you write rocking horses your doom is sealed and that is the
end of your quest. you have no hope.

Re: It's happened again (google troubles)

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=what+timber+available+in+australia+is+suitable+to+carve+rocking+horses&sa=search

I used your exact question, and I don't see a problem.  I must be
missing something.

Peter

Re: It's happened again (google troubles)

Not true. I made a slight modification to your query and Google's
first result told me the answer is Queensland Maple
<http://tinyurl.com/4kqpw6v .

Re: It's happened again (google troubles)
OOPS OOPS
I should have asked the question I posed in my whinge.Plus pluses
I asked it every which way but without a plus for every word.
I could not put a minus for the rocking horse after using it.
(I tried it but got nowhere)

So whenever I have a long question I should fill it up with pluses.

Re: It's happened again (google troubles)

I take back my oops's because even with the plusses there is still not
suitable answers that are straight forward, Neither does the tinyurl.
The answers are mostly from commercial rocking horse makers.
There is still no suitable answers.
I stick by my original whinge.

Re: It's happened again (google troubles)

I just used 'rocking horse' in Google search, and got these in the first
few listings:

wooden toys from Toy Factory Gumeracha The Big Rocking Horse
wooden toys, Australia's largest range of wooden toys, home of The Big
Rocking Horse, Gumeracha South Australia, biggest range, rocking horses,
wooden toys.
www.thetoyfactory.com.au/ - Cached - Similar

Rocking Horses
Mr Fred Rocking Horses are made from Australian hard wood and are
crafted as an heirloom for future generations. Each Rocking Horse has
red cedar ...
www.hotfrog.com.au/Products/Rocking-Horses - Cached - Similar

Looks quite reasonable to me.  Ring up the guys at Gumeracha, they would
probably tell you.  What is wrong with a commercial source ? How many
private/hobby rocking horse makers would you expect to advertise on the
net ?

Why would you think the timber used for carving rocking horses is any
different from any other timber good for carving ?

Re: It's happened again (google troubles)

I would think that looking at areas like the horse's legs, that are
relatively thin, bent in the middle,
and being rocked back and forth are getting the weight shifting on
them to different angles,
getting lots of stress, you would want to have a strong timber to be
able to cope with this.

It also has to support up the horse's body, that must be quite heavy,
probably 1-2  playful and excited kids
on top of the horse that want to try and rock it as hard as possible,
jump up and down in the saddle etc.

The stresses involved in those horse legs could be quite high.

Other things like table, cabinet legs, and similar furniture would
never cop "abuse" like this.  Usually the load is straight down, and
is
not swinging and moving, and the legs are typically straight, and can
be made thicker, where with the horse the legs have to be proportional
to the body of the horse.

Re: It's happened again (google troubles)
I have a book on making rocking horses. It is british the timbers
mentioned are not used in australia. The legs could probably be any
straight grained hardish wood but I was looking for the body and head.
It needs to be softish straight grained no knots etc (apparently
limewood is ideal but not available here)
My problem will be solved eventually, but not by google as soon as it
sees rocking horse it assumes that I could not possibly want to make my
own and proceeds to offer commercial makers and kit suppliers by the
hundreds.
I am looking for timber suppliers of suitable wood for rocking horses in
Australia.
They can be made of laminated ply sheets,but I did not want that.
My frustration is with search engines and the way they now handle
queries of a technical nature.
I realize that probably my best avenue is forums and asking questions

Re: It's happened again (google troubles)

Google is not a benevolent company they are in it for the money, despite
their corporate slogan "do no evil" etc.

The recent tweaks of adding more java coding with "Google instant" and the
"image search" changes are annoying to say the least when it tries to second
guess what you want.

With the Images you have to scroll all the way to the bottom of the search
results, to change it back to how it was before.

I have worked out your can add "&sout=1" on the search string to revert to
the how it was before the change.

You could also delete the superfluous browser information it adds onto the
search string, this increases the speed of the response also.

With your search, this guy may know the answer?

http://www.countryragepage.com/carvings2.htm

Google search with privacy http://www.scroogle.org/cgi-bin/scraper.htm

Re: It's happened again (google troubles)
Thanks, it is just that I get frustrated, the search engines might work
for the majority but do not want to know how to deal with my questions

Re: It's happened again (google troubles)

You need to learn to ask them better, or ask a related question that will
get you to your answer. Google might be very clever, but it doesn't have
human-level intelligence yet. It can't tell that you're asking your
question in a four-times refined subject area: "Rocking horse -> Building
your own -> In Australia -> what woods suit". And even if it *could* tell
that, there's a distinct possibility that it's never come across any
answers to that question.  So ask a different question, and refine.

In any case, the lack of an answer has nothing to do with Vox's bogus
claim that they want to make a profit from giving you a bum steer.
Google knows perfectly well that you only use the service and see the
adverts because you usually get the answers you want. Conspiracy theories
notwithstanding.

If you want to know what wood might be suitable for building a rocking
horse, why not start by searching for sites that tell you how to build
a rocking horse? Then search inside that site for advice on woods, or
for the qualities required for the woods. Or search for a forum where
people might talk about or answer questions about rocking-horse
building, and post a question there?

You've already been given an excellent answer here anyhow. Use Queensland
Maple. It's not a maple, but it has these admirable qualities:
* It's strong
* It's tough (not brittle)
* It's easy to carve
* It's not unattractive
* It's not too heavy
* It's pretty cheap

All the reasons that Maton and many other local guitar makers use it
extensively, especially for guitar necks. It'll suit your job perfectly.

And next time, go bleat in a wood-working newsgroup instead of an
electronics one ffs.

Clifford Heath.

Re: It's happened again (google troubles)
On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 17:29:23 +1100, Clifford Heath
I always use Google with javascript turned off. Seems to work better
that way!

What I want to know is what are going to do with all the droppings
from that rocking horse?  They alone could be worth a fortune.
Apparently they're very rare!
--
Sell your surplus electronic components at
http://ozcomponents.com

I did all that and got no satisfaction. There are almost no sites that
are not commercial, on building rocking horses that a search engine will
point to once you mention rocking horses. as soon as you write the words
rocking horses, the engine points you only to commercial sites and not
the few non commercial sites (Which I think do exist)

The answer that I was given,maple was for frame and base which would be
ideal for that purpose but is not what I wanted (the body and head)and
the wrong colour if I can get timber similar to other country's
recommendations for the horse in Australia . From what I have gleaned so
far pacific maple is not widely used for the horse

I had already exhaustively searched in other places and was venting on
the foibles of search engines which is distantly electronic.

Re: It's happened again (google troubles)

Also knows as "linden" and "basswood",  a quick google suggests that the
australian supply goes into making venetian blinds :)

--
⚂⚃ 100% natural

Re: It's happened again (google troubles)
Thanks I found that but I want it in big chunks so I gave up on it.

Re: It's happened again (google troubles)

The plusses are the default and Google will insert them for you. My
search (the tinyurl) gave you Queensland Maple as the specific wood
for rocking horses. If you want more, modify your search. I assume you
are familiar with the advanced search
<http://www.google.com.au/advanced_search?hl=en&lr=lang_en .

I agree that there is a real problem in that commercial organisations
spend large sums of money optimising their sites so that any remotely
relevant query returns their site. My main gripe is that Google does
not distinguish between questions and answers. If I ask "How do I fix
Error Code 123" I will get thousands of hits for the question rather
than an answer.

Re: It's happened again (google troubles)

By my reading that is the base ,which is the stand that the horse rocks
on not the actual horse.
So far none of my research has recommended it for the horse,

I have found a woodworking forum which is some help

I just despair at what search engines have turned in to from what they
used to be.

Re: It's happened again (google troubles)

Rather than specifying the usage, why not ask about "carving timbers"?
After all, that's what you really require...Then you can make an
assessment of each as to its suitability for the rocking horse.
Anyway, woodworking forums would be the best place to ask.

Re: It's happened again (google troubles)

Although it has developed in to a full blown horse discussion my
original post was moaning about google because I was getting nowhere
elsewhere with it.
I am now getting somewhere elsewhere and have even caused google to put
my searches upfront

Re: It's happened again (google troubles)

Well thanks for the interesting thread.
I know a lot more about rocking horses and wood than I did this
morning :)

Hope the finished horse comes up well.

Site Timeline