Isolated, regulated, toroidal step down transformer AC power supply design.

The history of this thread simply does not tally with your assessment.

I posed, what I thought was, a perfectly simple request for information and made no claim about my knowledge of electronics. I posed it here, simply because I was unable to Google a design myself.

Nearly all respondents reacted in an abusive manner to my request for an AC/AC power supply design. Phil was especially abusive and successively claimed:

a) That I did not have an application which required 9VAC input. Re:

Me> Yes, I really do need 9 VAC for my application.

Phil> ** BOLLOCKS you do !!

It isn't clear to me how he could be so adamant about my application's input voltage, since I had quite patently NOT included any information about the application in my original request. I can only surmise that he either:

i) Wrongly concluded that I meant 9VDC and was being defensive about it. ii) Wrongly concluded that 9VAC applications do not exist. (and that was why I could not have one).

But whichever it may be, he was WRONG on both counts and he was being extremely offensive to me, WHILST being WRONG. Apparently he is of the persuasion that

b) That my explanation for needing 9VAC was physically impossible. Re:

Me > Yes, it is a pair of half-wave rectifiers which DOUBLE the voltage. 9 VAC Me > in and +/-15 VDC out AFTER regulation.

Phil> ** Totally impossible bollocks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Totally impossible only has one meaning and his reaction is consistent with the first presumption (i) above, IE. he believed that 9VAC applications DO NOT EXIST.

c) I didn't think it was possible for him to make his position MORE implausible, but in his latest effort to recover lost credibility, he does just that.

Me> Apparently (because I had to look it up) Charge Pump devices work by Me> electronically switching the polarity of the capacitors. IE "the capacitor Me> is disconnected from the original charging voltage and reconnected with Me> its negative terminal to the original positive charging voltage".

Phil> ** Exactly what the diodes do when the AC polarity changes.

It seems totally incongruent with this group's behaviour that he can make such STATEMENTS and totally escape any criticism. Do I really have to explain why he is WRONG again? Go on, make me:

I certainly don't want to risk being labelled "Arrogant" again.

BLAHHHHH, HA HA HA!!!

Reply to
Mark

(snip)

Unfortunately, you don't *need* a UPS to solve your problem. What you DO need to do - rather than jump to a ?solution - is address the cause of the problem, which from your many descriptions in this saga\\\\thread would certainly appear to be the DC rail regulators and possibly their regulating headroom.

While this has been pointed out to you by several posters (self included) in both polite and well-reasoned response as well as somewhat less conciliatory terms, you appear hell-bent on finding a regulated AC source solution.

It is a common - and bloody annoying - habit of many people to jump to a "solution" before they actually understand the problem. This is the root cause of your determination, and the inclination of most responders to adopt an inflammatory posture.

If you don't want to actually get to the bottom of your problem, don't ask for help in an area where help isn't helpful (your well-regulated AC source).

Reply to
rebel

It was suggested TO me that I try an UPS as a TRIAL solution.

The observed clipping was PERCEIVED by me to be due to the occasional over-voltage domestic supply.

I already HAD an UPS in another room, so the cost (to me) of suggested trial solution is; NIL.

I adopted the suggested trial solution SPECIFICALLY BECAUSE many had indeed suggested that the problem WAS NOT likely to be caused by the over-voltage domestic supply.

Common scientific method is to try and DISPROVE a theory. A NEGATIVE result of a TRIAL procedure is NOT a failed experiment. It serves its purpose.

If you feel the trial is a waste of YOUR time, then I suggest you take the matter up with those who SUGGESTED it. I don't think it is in my interests to do so.

If a regulated AC source does happen to work, then I don't give much of a damn what the cause may be. I don't have any intrinsic interest in electronics. My only interest is in solving the immediate problem. Contingency factors mean very little to me.

I'd be very happy to walk away with a solution without EVER knowing the cause or understanding the problem. I simply don't care. Perhaps you find this attitude offensive but I consider myself to be a consumer of electronic devices, not a technician. I only do what I do because I HAVE TO DO IT.

I can believe that many (some?) contributors here DO in fact have an inflammatory posture towards the consumers of electronics. That is EXACTLY why they may come here. It gives them the opportunity to humiliate a class of person that they feel antagonistic toward. A class of person that might have a lien over their INCOME in real life. A class of person that they feel superior too.

It doesn't wash with me.

If those same people took a look outside their windows for just ONE SECOND they would see a world outside that does not value people based solely on their knowledge of electronics or the particular topology of their messages.

People who BEHAVE as if they do are INTERACTING with others based on a FALSE premise.

Reply to
Mark

Bingo! - That explains his weird posts perfectly.

ITYM: 'audiophool', not 'audiophile'. ;^)

--
   W  "Some people are alive only because it is illegal to kill them."
 . | ,. w ,

There are people dumb enough to buy parts desoldered from scrap equipment by people who know nothing about electronics? Now, /that/ is a scary thought.

--
   W  "Some people are alive only because it is illegal to kill them."
  \|/  \|/              Perna condita delenda est
Lionel

That there are people in here who's lives are so unrewarding that they compensate for it by dedicating their time & efforts in search of the elusive 'Net-kudos'.

Have a look around EBay. You pay your money and you take your chances.

Reply to
Mark

Mark, several of the people who are answering you here are capable of eating the vast majority of electronics repairers for breakfast when it comes to design. All of the people of relevance on this group are capable of designing half wave rectified voltage doubling designs in their sleep. Why the big secrecy with respect to your application? You really are going on like a wanker............

Reply to
APR