Isolated, regulated, toroidal step down transformer AC power supply design. - Page 12

Re: Isolated, regulated, toroidal step down transformer AC power supply design.

What utter, utter face saving piffle.

Every few months a FLOOD (dozens) of x-Govt UPS hits the EBay market,
driving the price down to the ground. A USED, sine wave output, online UPS
is CHEAP AS CHIPS because SUPPLY EXCEEDS DEMAND for them. Business and Govt.
Departments won't buy a used UPS.

The fact of the matter is that Online, sine wave output, UPS regularly sell
on EBay for ABOUT that price. In an AUCTION the price can go UP or DOWN
dependant only on supply and demand at that TIME.

Even if you are unlucky enough to buy one with dud batteries, they are
literally STUFFED with high value salvage parts.

Re: Isolated, regulated, toroidal step down transformer AC power supply design.

Govt.
sell

Sorry, been away from this for a while - WTF are you talking about? Are you
still gabbing on about your "sick kid" or something? Why does he need a UPS
all of a sudden? And given you admittedly know SFA about electronics, what
value to you is a dead UPS "stuffed" with parts you wouldn't have a clue how
to use?

Re: Isolated, regulated, toroidal step down transformer AC power supply design.

a) No electronics knowledge whatsoever.

Only the ability to mechanically de-solder parts and the ability to use
Google to identify the harvested parts.

The electronic parts can be reused within existing applications or sold on
EBay. Lots of people do the harvest/resell trade, not just with UPS and not
just on EBay.

b) I never claimed to have parted-out an UPS. I just observed that lots of
other people do it. I might have done it. Maybe not. Either way, it requires
no electronics knowledge whatsoever.

c) My child is not sick nor is his severe disability the result of any
sickness. I've already made that quite clear. Crude personality types and
midget brained morons often fail to make the distinction. I can only assume
that your Usenet name is a  reflection of your personality, and not your
intelligence.

d) I don't need an UPS "all of a sudden". It's been discussed for weeks.

Re: Isolated, regulated, toroidal step down transformer AC power supply design.

(snip)

Unfortunately, you don't *need* a UPS to solve your problem.  What you DO need
to do - rather than jump to a ?solution - is address the cause of the problem,
which from your many descriptions in this saga\thread would certainly appear
to be the DC rail regulators and possibly their regulating headroom.

While this has been pointed out to you by several posters (self included) in
both polite and well-reasoned response as well as somewhat less conciliatory
terms, you appear hell-bent on finding a regulated AC source solution.

It is a common - and bloody annoying - habit of many people to jump to a
"solution" before they actually understand the problem.  This is the root cause
of your determination, and the inclination of most responders to adopt an
inflammatory posture.

If you don't want to actually get to the bottom of your problem, don't ask for
help in an area where help isn't helpful (your well-regulated AC source).

Re: Isolated, regulated, toroidal step down transformer AC power supply design.

It was suggested TO me that I try an UPS as a TRIAL solution.

The observed clipping was PERCEIVED by me to be due to the occasional
over-voltage domestic supply.

I already HAD an UPS in another room, so the cost (to me) of suggested trial
solution is; NIL.

I adopted the suggested trial solution SPECIFICALLY BECAUSE many had indeed
suggested that the problem WAS NOT likely to be caused by the over-voltage
domestic supply.

Common scientific method is to try and DISPROVE a theory. A NEGATIVE result
of a TRIAL procedure is NOT a failed experiment. It serves its purpose.

If you feel the trial is a waste of YOUR time, then I suggest you take the
matter up with those who SUGGESTED it. I don't think it is in my interests
to do so.

If a regulated AC source does happen to work, then I don't give much of a
damn what the cause may be. I don't have any intrinsic interest in
electronics. My only interest is in solving the immediate problem.
Contingency factors mean very little to me.

I'd be very happy to walk away with a solution without EVER knowing the
cause or understanding the problem. I simply don't care. Perhaps you find
this attitude offensive but I consider myself to be a consumer of electronic
devices, not a technician. I only do what I do because I HAVE TO DO IT.

I can believe that many (some?) contributors here DO in fact have an
inflammatory posture towards the consumers of electronics. That is EXACTLY
why they may come here. It gives them the opportunity to humiliate a class
of person that they feel antagonistic toward. A class of person that might
have a lien over their INCOME in real life. A class of person that they feel
superior too.

It doesn't wash with me.

If those same people took a look outside their windows for just ONE SECOND
they would see a world outside that does not value people based solely on
their knowledge of electronics or the particular topology of their messages.

People who BEHAVE as if they do are INTERACTING with others based on a FALSE
premise.

Re: Isolated, regulated, toroidal step down transformer AC power supply design.

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 12:37:58 +1000, "Mark"

<boggle>
There are people dumb enough to buy parts desoldered from scrap
equipment by people who know nothing about electronics?
Now, /that/ is a scary thought.

--
   W  "Some people are alive only because it is illegal to kill them."
Re: Isolated, regulated, toroidal step down transformer AC power supply design.

<boggle>

That there are people in here who's lives are so unrewarding that they
compensate for it by dedicating their time & efforts in search of  the
elusive 'Net-kudos'.

Have a look around EBay. You pay your money and you take your chances.