Isolated, regulated, toroidal step down transformer AC power supply design. - Page 11

Re: Isolated, regulated, toroidal step down transformer AC power supply design.

Sounds more like primary school :-)

MrT.

Re: Isolated, regulated, toroidal step down transformer AC power supply design.

He wants a transformer that regulates.

--

Bye.
   Jasen

Re: Isolated, regulated, toroidal step down transformer AC power supply design.

No, I think I want to regulate the output of the transformer.

The output of any transformer is only proportional to the voltage of it's
input. AFAIK, anyway.

So if the volts in aren't nominal, nor is the voltage out.

Re: Isolated, regulated, toroidal step down transformer AC power supply design.

Just about any audio amplifier and a sine wave generator will do the job.

What exactly is it that you want to achieve?

Re: Isolated, regulated, toroidal step down transformer AC power supply design.

9 VAC, at a resonable cost.

Re: Isolated, regulated, toroidal step down transformer AC power supply design.

If you haven't tried already, try plugging your device into a sinewave
inverter or an UPS (dual conversion type) to see if your theory of
"regulated AC" solves your problem.

Re: Isolated, regulated, toroidal step down transformer AC power supply design.

Ok, good idea.

The computer is in the dinning room, we rarely 'dine' together.

The Hi-Fi is in the bedroom. (where else!). It is part of my personal Hi-Fi,
not my sons.

Re: Isolated, regulated, toroidal step down transformer AC power supply design.

I don't quite see why an irrigation controller would need dual rails, but
some kind of sensor that required an instrumentation amplifier might need
it, and depending on how serious Mark is with his hydro setup, he might be
sensing a range of parameters such as temperatures - both ambient and
root-zone, CO2, TDS, PH and other nutrient attributes etc.

Re: Isolated, regulated, toroidal step down transformer AC power supply design.

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 22:59:59 +1000, "Mark"

Before I comment, I'll just point out that I'm ignoring all the
flamage in the rest of this thread.

Firstly, you won't be able to get a 'regulated' 9VAC out of a
transformer (short of spending a heap of money on a ferro-resonant
unit), & it's extrememly unlikely that you actually need one anyway.

Secondly, it's impossible to give you useful advice unless you specify
the required output voltages & current requirements. (Eg; 9VAC at 1
Amp.) And preferably, what your intended application is. Eg; a modem
might require a 9VAC @ 500mA adapter, but will convert it into +/-5VDC
@ 200mA.

Thirdly, if we know what the intended application is, (eg; the above
modem), we can work out how well regulated the *power supply circuit*
(not the transformer!) needs to be.

If you can clear up the above points, I (& many others here, of
course) might be able to give you a useful answer.

--
   W  "Some people are alive only because it is illegal to kill them."
 . | ,. w ,

What was wrong with either of these suggestions?

a) Buy another UPS (on Ebay for around $30) and then just step-down the
voltage using my pre-existing wall-wart transformer. If 240 VAC goes in,
something CLOSE to 9 VAC should come out and everything is happy, ..maybe.

b) A design involving transformation to a nominal VAC then rectification and
regulation to a nominal DC, filtering and decoupling, and then inversion
back to 9 VAC (+/- x%).

But then why bother to make it when you can buy option a) for $30 bucks.

But then again, maybe ONLY a Ferro-resonant UPS design will do it? Probably
not.

I did amend my specification to 2 amps (fused at input). The fact of the
matter is that I could have scaled up/down most designs that I was likely to
receive, except for the very small or the ridiculously large.

Now, where's my nomination? CLUELESS NEWBIE OF THE MONTH seems like a synch
to me and you only got two nominations. Phil will vote for me I swear and
you just can't get a better credentials than that. Bob will vote for me,
twice. Trev will, honest!

Re: Isolated, regulated, toroidal step down transformer AC power supply design.

On Mon, 2 Apr 2007 23:09:17 +1000, "Mark"

[Big snip of my helpful questions that the OP totally ignored]

Well, there's 3 minutes of my life I won't be seeing again...

(YANETUT)

YHGMTPO AE & AUK. YHL. LTBF,YPW.

HTH, HAND.

--
   W  "Some people are alive only because it is illegal to kill them."
 . | ,. w ,
Re: Isolated, regulated, toroidal step down transformer AC power supply design.

Anything else you wanted to tell me about your expectations?

"(You Are Not Expected To Understand This But)

You Have Greatly Misunderstood The Purpose Of Aus.Electronics and Alt Usenet
Kooks. You Have Lost. Learn to Be Funny, You Pathetic Wanker.

Hope This Helps, Have A Nice Day."

I won't bother to make pretensions of 'hip cyber-credibility', except to
say:

TAWSFI, HETLA DETLA YAFLAEIP.

TUTLA EFETLA  EEETLA, SRFLA MTFLA ATHFL YAUA!

...and try to sound important whilst doing it.

Re: Isolated, regulated, toroidal step down transformer AC power supply design.

  Get back under your bridge, troll.

Re: Isolated, regulated, toroidal step down transformer AC power supply design.

This one?  http://www.tourisminternet.com.au/Yara1.JPG

Calling me a 'Mexican' would be somewhat more traditional.

Re: Isolated, regulated, toroidal step down transformer AC power supply design.

good luck finding an online, sine wave, UPS for that price.

A $30 UPS is likely to be modified square wave, and offline, and it'll be
exactly useless for your purpose.

Bye.
   Jasen

Re: Isolated, regulated, toroidal step down transformer AC power supply design.

    I thought of telling him that, but I knew he'd disagree because it
wasn't what he wanted to hear, so I didn't.

Bob

Re: Isolated, regulated, toroidal step down transformer AC power supply design.

I'd disagree with it, only because what you speak isn't true.

Here's one that sold on EBay for only $51.00, a few minutes ago:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/LIEBERT-UPS-GXT700-Mini-Tower_W0QQitemZ230113036855

If you go to http://gxtwebdemo.liebert.com/ you can see from the simulation
of the GXT series UPS that it regulates, rectifies and inverts the output
24/7. The Bypass is only engaged  during battery failure or replacement.

Yup, I'd say that qualifies. Online and near perfect sine wave output.

I would have bid but I don't feel like a drive up to Sydney to get it.

With a bit of patience I'll pick one up for even less. Fact.

But why don't we just pretend this never happened. A convenient <snip> and
it's all forgotten.

Re: Isolated, regulated, toroidal step down transformer AC power supply design.

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 22:29:08 +1000, "Mark"

Wonderful! - But how does that help you get your regulated 9VAC
output?

--
   W  "Some people are alive only because it is illegal to kill them."
 . | ,. w ,
Re: Isolated, regulated, toroidal step down transformer AC power supply design.

Oh, & in case it isn't totally obvious to you, it's not a toroidal
transformer either, although there may well be one its guts. ;^)

--
   W  "Some people are alive only because it is illegal to kill them."
Re: Isolated, regulated, toroidal step down transformer AC power supply design.

It might have gone to $55 or $60 if you had bid add shipping to that
and I wouldn't say it's around $30

Bye.
   Jasen

Site Timeline