Isolated, regulated, toroidal step down transformer AC power supply design.

Can anybody point me to a good design of same.

240 VAC in, 9 VAC out.

Re: Isolated, regulated, toroidal step down transformer AC power supply design.

"Mark"

** Huh  ?

 What gobbledegook is this ?

......  Phil

Re: Isolated, regulated, toroidal step down transformer AC power supply design.

snipped-for-privacy@dodo.com.au says...

The closest thing in terms of a transformer that will be able to
provide 'some' regulation is a ferroresonant one. They were often
used 20 or more years ago but declined more quickly when the UPS
became cheaper.

The yare good at supply regulation but bad for noise and bad for
waveform distortion.

You dont really want to design a ferroresonant in a toroid unless
you want to spend a few weeks getting to grips with the material
properties and all the magnetics calculations and building many
prototypes.

Far better you just get a good SMPS.

But do you really need 9vac for your application or is that to feed
something else that could utilse DC more efficiently ?

or did phil write this so i can practice typing and get even more proficient ;)

--
Regards
Mike

Yes, I really do need 9 VAC for my application.

Within the application, the 9 VAC is rectified, filtered, regulated (to +15
VDC and -15 VDC) and then filtered again.

So the input needs to be regulated to within about (+ or -) 1% 9 VAC.

Re: Isolated, regulated, toroidal step down transformer AC power supply design.

*** Thanks...thats the best laugh I've had for ages :)
I'm sure a single 9Vac supply will give you amazingly clean +/-15V rails,
you'd best make sure you get a 500W toroidal though, that'll help..

PMSL

James

Re: Isolated, regulated, toroidal step down transformer AC power supply design.

Bullshit

Re: Isolated, regulated, toroidal step down transformer AC power supply design.

**You have not told us what you are trying to accomplish. You can expect to
suffer derision, until you explain more fully what you are trying to do. A
regulated AC source is difficult to accomplish and usually unnecessary. A
regulated DC source is much easier.

You should also learn about top posting and why it is not a desirable method
of communication.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

--

Re: Isolated, regulated, toroidal step down transformer AC power supply design.

I am not compelled to explain anything more than what I already have and
what I have explained is more than sufficient for my purpose.

This isn't rocket science. A minimal design AC source can be achieved with
only ONE  component but the output is then at the mercy of the vagaries of
the input voltage.

A better design might involve transformation to a nominal VAC (+/- x%) ,
then rectification and regulation to a nominal DC (+/- y%<x) , filtering and
decoupling and then inversion back to 9 VAC (+/- 1%).

Even Google'sperts should be able to understand that.

Re: Isolated, regulated, toroidal step down transformer AC power supply design.

**You don't have to explain anything. You won't get any help, either.

**Correct.

**Except that it is ridiculously complex and unnecessary. If you would
explain what you are trying to do, then we can help you.

**I suggest you Google the following: 'Top poster'.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

--

Re: Isolated, regulated, toroidal step down transformer AC power supply design.

To take exception to the style of postings is such an enormously trivial and
childish position to take that I hardly feel deprived of your advice.

You may consider yourself excused of offering and advice.

Re: Isolated, regulated, toroidal step down transformer AC power supply design.

YOU are the idiot asking for help here! If you cant give more info, I doubt
you will get more help.

Re: Isolated, regulated, toroidal step down transformer AC power supply design.

So your presumption may be that asking for help at 'aus.electronics' is an
idiotic thing to do? Can't really disagree with you there.

I am all too aware of the inherent perils involved in asking for help on any
newsgroup inhabited by the likes of Phil and his 'Phil-o-philes'.

That reason alone is enough to make me cautious of providing any more
information than I need to. My perception of Phil is that the more
information you give him to analize (sic), the deeper your own exposure to
his vile hatred of (just about) everybody on the planet.

Re: Isolated, regulated, toroidal step down transformer AC power supply design.

Show me where I stated that.
I stated that YOU were an idiot.
Do you go to the doctor and say that you feel crook and leave it up to him
to fix you???? Or, do you answer his questions regarding the symptoms.

No perils involved. Some jump on idiots straight away, while other take a
little longer.

Re: Isolated, regulated, toroidal step down transformer AC power supply design.

Fuck me! This isn't rocket science Bob.

You ascribed to me the quality of idiocy. You are, after all, a 'decider'.

I retorted with a jest. After all, I do FEEL like and idiot for asking for
help at 'aus.electronics'.

I feel like an idiot, not because I put the question in the wrong forum OR
because the expertise isn't available here to solve it, but BECAUSE I should
have known better what you and your fellow 'Phil-o-philes' would EXPECT me
to 'put up with' in order to get it. Quod Erat Demonstrandum.

Re: Isolated, regulated, toroidal step down transformer AC power supply design.

The only smart thing you have done is post to this forum with your problem.
Where you have proven you are an idiot is by your attitude. You can come
along here for a number of reasons. For information, for enlightenment, for
the friendly banter, or as in your case, to be ripped to shreds because of
your arrogance.

You have admitted a number of times your lack of electronic knowledge. Then
you argue black is white when anyone tries to point you to the right path.
If you know the answer to your question, then piss off. If you dont, then
listen to those who are willing to help you.

Re: Isolated, regulated, toroidal step down transformer AC power supply design.
The history of this thread simply does not tally with your assessment.

I posed, what I thought was, a perfectly simple request for information and
made no claim about my knowledge of electronics. I posed it here, simply
because I was unable to Google a design myself.

Nearly all respondents reacted in an abusive manner to my request for an
AC/AC power supply design. Phil was especially abusive and successively
claimed:

a) That I did not have an application which required 9VAC input. Re:

Me> Yes, I really do need 9 VAC for my application.

Phil> **   BOLLOCKS    you do  !!

It isn't clear to me how he could be so adamant about my application's input
voltage, since I had quite patently NOT included any information about the
application in my original request. I can only surmise that he either:

i) Wrongly concluded that I meant 9VDC and was being defensive about it.
ii) Wrongly concluded that 9VAC applications do not exist. (and that was why
I could not have one).

But whichever it may be, he was WRONG on both counts and he was being
extremely offensive to me, WHILST being WRONG. Apparently he is of the
persuasion that

b) That my explanation for needing 9VAC was physically impossible. Re:

Me > Yes, it is a pair of half-wave rectifiers which DOUBLE the voltage. 9
VAC
Me > in and +/-15 VDC out AFTER regulation.

Phil>  **  Totally impossible bollocks  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Totally impossible only has one meaning and his reaction is consistent with
the first presumption (i) above, IE. he believed that 9VAC applications DO
NOT EXIST.

c) I didn't think it was possible for him to make his position MORE
implausible, but in his latest effort to recover lost credibility, he does
just that.

Me> Apparently (because I had to look it up) Charge Pump devices work by
Me> electronically switching the polarity of the capacitors. IE "the
capacitor
Me> is disconnected from the original charging voltage and reconnected with
Me> its negative terminal to the original positive charging voltage".

Phil> **  Exactly what the diodes do when the AC polarity changes.

It seems totally incongruent with this group's behaviour that he can make
such STATEMENTS and totally escape any criticism.  Do I really have to
explain why he is WRONG again?  Go on, make me:

I certainly don't want to risk being labelled "Arrogant" again.

BLAHHHHH, HA HA HA!!!

Re: Isolated, regulated, toroidal step down transformer AC power supply design.

Neither are we compelled to answer you civily,

yup.

yeah, if that's what is needed,  usually it isn't,
as a result such supplies aren't common

Bye.
   Jasen

Re: Isolated, regulated, toroidal step down transformer AC power supply design.

You are not compelled to treat others with the same respect with which they
treat you, but it is advised in all cases.

However, to surmise what my be your position: "Tell us what WE[1] need to
know or suffer our abuse" does not qualify as just or fair treatment for
anybody.

If you truely believe otherwise, then I think they have a job for you at
Guantanamo Bay. (get it?)

[1] I would like to point out that it is you purports to speak for others,
not me.

I don't really think that IS your position, but it was a very silly thing to
say.

Re: Isolated, regulated, toroidal step down transformer AC power supply design.

Correction: what *may be your position.

Re: Isolated, regulated, toroidal step down transformer AC power supply design.

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 22:59:44 +1000, "Mark"
composed:

Ask yourself, what is the peak value of a 9 VAC sine wave?

- Franc Zabkar